TKR March 8/22 RTKR Excited for the next step!

Back from my BC adventure bike tour. 3000 km later, my knee is feeling unusually good. My family viewed it as a very lofty initiative to do the trip but I have not looking back at all and would go again in a heartbeat. Was well worth it! Funny, I was actually able to do a lot of ROM extents static stretching while riding. With about 1200 km of that distance being off-road, I spent a lot of time standing on the foot pegs and my knee managed quite well with a bit of swelling but no structural pain other than the standard achiness at the end of the day and next morning. The trip gave me lots of time to visit some friends, enjoy some solitude, fly fish and visit some backwoods forestry campgrounds. Kneeling to get in and out of a one-man tent was a bit of an experience but got better after some practice.

Something to be said for getting out and enjoying an aimless trip, not really knowing where the next day will take you or who you will meet. Was wonderful to talk to other riders and small town residents as you pass through. I can’t say enough about the mental healing and increasingly positive outlook I’ve been able to have after getting home. Makes getting back into physio routine and recovery a little easier to handle, knowing I have an outlet.

Again, another step has been taken…. This time in the direction I want to go.

Sounds like a great trip!! And an amazing adventure. Glad the knee performed well
very exciting. It is exhilarating to know that these implants will take us where we want to go.

Good news for you @Axx72! :yahoo:

Benchmark 50km road biking ride on Sunday and a 30km mountainbike ride today. Definitely a bit of discomfort and swelling afterwards but seems to go away within two days. My knee is responding very well to the increased activity. I’m treating it every day with heat in the morning b 4 exercise and at least one session of ice towards the end of the day along with TENS therapy. Finding physio is helping with feeling how far I can push it. Range of motion is -1 and 135°.

Strength is increasing but internal foot rotation is still uncomfortable. All in all, more steps in the right direction getting me closer to my goal of getting back to work. Feeling more and more confident all the time.

First official mountainbike single track ride. 32km up Mount Conkle in the Okanagan, BC. For 1250m of climbing.

Rediculously excited…it’s been 2 years dealing with injury, pain management, surgery x2, recovery, mental and behavioural problems. Has not been an easy road but I’ve learned a lot about myself, my limits, goals, my resiliency and what is truly important in life. The journey is becoming more fun again! Keep taking those steps everyone, we can all get there!!!

When u are feeling good, all is perceptibly going well, we are irrefutably reminded to take a step back and slow down life. Allowing our bodies to catch up to our minds. Still healing, shuffling to the next step and really listening and learning from our bodies as they tell us about what’s really important.

It’s been a good few weeks away to rest, relax and recover along with some exciting activity. Time to get back and focus on finalizing this chapter getting back to work which I am passionate about.

There will always be more steps to take

Post Vancouver Island trip, much needed removal from the familiar for 16 days. Oh man! Van Island is beautiful…hope to end up there for retirement. Met more old friends, reignited friendships of the past. 7km hike in East Sooke park coast trail…similar topography to the west coast trail…a little soreness supplied by my TKR as payment for the previous day’s enjoyment. Still all manageable but gives me to get better ideas of my limits.

Back to routine, kicking ‘return to work’ plan into the next gear. Thinking about the next step again:)

Yesterday marks another benchmark! 100km road ride in Banff just prior to my 6 month TKR in March 2022.

Almost in tears when I finished. Hard to contain the emotion I feel about the hard work to attain a goal that I honestly thought I’d never see again.

Could not have gotten here without the support of my family and friends. Not only another step but a pedal stroke too:)

@Axx72 Well done on reaching your goal so quickly. Your recovery will continue - well into the one year mark. Meanwhile enjoy! :bicycle1:

Every day I make a point to be thankful for what I have and the progress I’ve made. I know that not everybody has the same experience and that some have more pain others. I believe that mentally it is so important to stay focused on the positive even though it seems that there are so many negatives to keep you from your goal. Keep striving, keep pushing and you will get where u want to go. I believe that having a healthy mental outlook is a paramount addition to healing. I appreciate all the advice, help and feedback from all the wonderful people on this forum. Helps us all get there.

It’s been a while since sharing but with still lots ahead, I’m feeling urged to look behind and stay positive.

I’m working on attaining more power although it’s coming at, what I feel is, is a snails pace. Still lots of cycling, stretching, heat, icing and physio. Lineal motions have become normal. Average bike ride is 75km and almost at a point where I walk and don’t even think about my knee. Torsional mobility is coming to but it can still throw a pain spike to keep me honest.

With healing continuing, gains seem slower but are still coming. Staying on track and remembering that everyone has reasons to be here in the first place. More steps ahead…stay positive, stay the course:)

almost at a point where I walk and don’t even think about my knee
That's a really important milestone!

And yes, it does feel as though the rate of progress slows over time... but you will continue to improve well into your second year.

Thanks for the update.

Well, 9 months post TKR….played hockey again for the first time December 23. Emotionally charged to have hit another exciting step. It’s wonderful to feel accomplishment surrounding activities you once took for granted. Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do it!!

Attachments

• D44A72CA-DA5B-4333-A86B-282BE2783069.jpeg
    D44A72CA-DA5B-4333-A86B-282BE2783069.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 53
Well done @Axx72 ! Lots of padding on those knees I hope! :new-year-toast-smiley-emoticon:

It’s wonderful to feel accomplishment surrounding activities you once took for granted. Don’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do it!!
Yes!! :loveshwr:

Yay!! Good for you!!! :happydance:

Awesome report!

Love that spirit! Thanks for sharing the uplifting post and pic.
Wishing you a wonderful 2023!
@Axx72

I am a firefighter with 17 years experience. My TKR became very real in March of 2022 and the fear of not being physically able to do my job as a first responder became front and center. It was a long road and when I started what appeared to be an insurmountable goal.

On January 16th I completed an assessment by my surgeon. He told me, that based on my recovery and current activities, he was confident I was physically able attempt my Return to Operations assessments at our fire training academy.

Beginning on January 17th and ending on January 24, after hours of physically exertive tests I have been cleared for full operational duty as a firefighter. I cannot Begin to explain my elation and my head is filled with an overwhelming sense of relief. On January 30th, 2023, 319 days after my TKR, 19 months after leaving the fire floor I’ll enter a fire hall as a first responder for the first time since my TKR. a date that will stand out in my mind for the rest of my life!

In the end the most dominant feeling is thankfulness…to family, friends, the medical professionals and even those I don’t know who simply offered support and encouragement. I’m sure we’ve all said it but you don’t really know what you have until it’s taken away.

How much I have learned in this timeline stretching from the original injury to joint degradation to two orthroscopic surgeries and a full TKR cannot be summed up in this short note. Your life is ahead. Don’t look back. Be excited for achieving those small steps and look forward to the next ones. Each step is a moment in the journey of each of our lives and I still am super excited for the next one in mine

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back