THR Managing post-exercise pain before 2nd THR

ScenicRte

Country
United States United States
And...I'm back! Can't say I'm exactly happy to be back, even as much as I appreciate this forum and all the warm support and excellent guidance I received here four years ago.

My story - had (R) anterior THR in May 2017, full/uncomplicated recovery. I've always been pretty fit and was happy to get back to walking/hiking/cycling/diving/squatting to garden, etc. However, now my left hip is deteriorating and will need replacement. I'd prefer to wait 'til I get on Medicare early in 2023 as I'm self-employed and have crappy expensive insurance. I really like to stay active, but am trying to not over-do it and to vary workouts between spin classes, Pilates, swimming and to limit walking, which seems to hurt the most. May or may not make it through the next year and a half, but would like to try.

My question is this - those of you who had to wait, what helped you reduce the wear and tear, and manage the pain? I can't really remember what I did last time - Tramadol? Ibuprofen? Ice? Foam rolling for sure. Stretching.

I'm going to go the "reference library" section of the site and start reading.

Besides that, any ideas/experiences/suggestions? TIA!

Last edited:
Hello and welcome back! Gosh, waiting until 2023 sounds intimidating to me, but completely understand your reasons for waiting, for sure.
I found that icing as much as I could helped me quite a bit while waiting for my surgery. So much so that some days I wondered if I really needed that THR? Others have had luck with moist heat which for me, made things worse, but just try each and see what works for you?

I iced whenever and wherever I could, in between clients or when driving to and from work or even sitting on the front porch.
Ice is a natural pain reliever and has an anti inflammatory effect on the joint and surrounding soft tissues.

Hi there

I’ve waited two years so far (waiting lists due to COVID) and I found that a decent physio was a godsend. I work on a daily programme with him ( I see him every six weeks or so and then he sends me daily exercises via an app). I’ve had to limit walking so I bought a cross trainer with no impact and that works pretty well.

My exercises are generally Pilates based - some stretching, lots of repetitive movements. I also foam roll my IT band as it suffers. It really has built up the muscles around the hip and made me stronger.

So if you can stretch the budget, definitely a physio. Best of luck.

Unfortunately the only way to reduce wear and tear is to reduce activities. Definitely avoid any high impact activity. Ice or heat may help. But there is no medication that reduces pre-op pain I am afraid.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Axx72
    Staff member since December 27, 2023
  • Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562