THR MammaT’s Matched Set

Hope all is well with you MammaT.
Thank God it's Thursday.
I have fasting blood work this morning so only half cup of black coffee...not my favorite.

Hope your IT band issues continue to improve!

Have fun with those blood tests @Mojo333. I always drink my coffee black. Going into work later due to plumber making a visit.

It band/ muscles in left doing better. Doing some anti inflammatory for it and using a muscle rub at night (too stinky during day!) and things are calming down. A bit funny nursing it more than new hip, but I had issues with it from right hip going. Just takes time to get everything working together well.

I have read that complete recovery can take one-two years (all of that subtle inside stuff) and I figure left got a little delayed due to right going south. But whatever the reason, I am where I am. I can work everyday without pain, stride is getting longer. I just have to make sure I don’t get in the way of recovery by overdoing too much! So glad I had my hips done.

I hope your IT band issue continues to improve @MammaT and that you continue to progress in your recovery. It does take a while I’m learning.

Hit the 5 month mark today and am happy to report recovery is fairly boring, even though my life is quite busy. It band issues seem to have resolved. Went out a couple of weeks ago and got properly fitted for shoes to give appropriate arch support and the muscle/tendon issues started melting away. I onlly mention this because for me not all of my walking/ muscle issues post surgery were due to my hips not being right, but it is easy for me to want to blame every ache on them.

Still have a large numb spot on right thigh, but it is getting smaller. Larger area than I had with left hip, but with it it took that one a little over a year to completely disappear, so I’m not worried. It doesn’t interfere with anything, it’s just weird.

I am still trying to be careful with lifting heavy things and not overdoing on exercise. I am happy I can do my two mile or so walks several times a week, but I haven’t pushed to doing them everyday yet.

It is great to have two hips working together and no bone on bone pain. I see my os in November and should be completely released then.

I check in on the site to keep reminding myself that even though it has been five months, my body is still in the process of recovery. Don’t think I am at 100% yet, but I will take the 90% range over where I was before surgery.

Happy 5 month hipversary MammaT.
It will keep getting better so keep the faith.:tada:

Nearly at the 9 month mark--didn't realize how long since I have posted an update. Right hip is doing great. Left leg has had issues off and on. Still think it is from things other than the THR--foot and muscles.

Last Sunday was walking down hill and had a very strange popping and pain in knee--thought the whole thing was going out. Not sure what that is about. Cut back on walking (had been averaging 5 miles a day). Going to take it easy until I can get OS to evaluate everything. Of course, having had THR my first thought was "loose stem". Not sure if that would cause knee pain or not. However, the discomfort is nothing like pre-hip replacement.

I'm glad both hips are replaced, now if I can just keep the rest of my body from falling apart!

I'm glad things are generally going well for you. Sorry to hear the knee went wonky. Alas, though, these new hips were put into old bodies (or at least not the newest). Wonder if it could "just" be the ITB - have you checked the library here on ITB issues to see if it sounds similar? Glad you'll be seeing the OS soon and he can take a look at it. Take care of yourself and stop by to say hello more often!

Agree ITB could be issue. Even though left was replaced two years ago, it has been so long since I walked correctly. Going to have OS check things out, if joint looks good may see about PT for left. Also will check out getting orthotics to try to keep foot movement correct. I practice Layla's "heel-toe" advice, but may be time to try to help it more. Have been waiting on seeing foot doc until major healing for both hips correct.

Will post whatever we figure out--can't be the only person to have such issues! Going to recheck the ITB library and maybe check out some of the knee stuff! This is the best place for information!

:wave:
Glad all is pretty good on the hip front...but sorry knee wants to be annoying.
I wonder about alignment issues as I have on and off SI pain (I think) now that I'm "straightened out " hip wise...but have put off following up.
Hope you get some clarification from OS appointment!:yes:

Thanks @Mojo333. It sometimes takes awhile to get everything sorted out. My left leg seizing up in spasms is what led me to have torn labrum repair in right hip first. Since I have high arch in left foot and flat in right, my walking has been off for a number of years. Want to make sure replacement is ok, then figure out the rest of the issues. I am suspecting foot and a couple of muscle groups are just a bit out of whack. Interestingly, I did pt with my left leg (yes, machines and all), and just some light home pt stretches and walking with right-and the left is the bothersome leg. Makes me wonder.

I haven't come this far to give up! This site is an inspiration and excellent reminder that recovery is a process. As I think I have said, my joints, etc., did get messed up overnight--so I can work some more towards full recovery.

Like your picture!

Haven't posted in forever, but have been checking in off and on to read. Second hip is at nearly 14 month mark. Happy to say both hips are good. Still working on pesky left leg/knee. Stretches are helping and slowly getting my total walking back to where I want it. While I am not nearly as rambunctious as @SaraK I do tend to forget things like stretching properly before I start out on my long walks (it does make a difference).

I am glad I didn't let second hip go any longer. Most people are amazed to find out I have both hips replaced--they seem to think I should limp or something. If I wanted to limp, I wouldn't have gotten them replaced! No bone on bone pain is wonderful.

Once a troublemaker, always a troublemaker (me, not you)! Isn't it fun to be able to stride confidently and not limp or hesitate? I don't walk as much during the day as you do, so my exercise routines are different. With my tiny bladder and my very large office building, though, I do manage to get a few steps in during the day!

It is always interesting when someone finds out you've had both hips replaced. They either think you have to be treated like you're made of glass or keep telling you about their grandmother who had a hip replacement! I look at it as us being titanium reinforced - we're tougher and stronger than anyone can imagine!

Stop in more often - it's always good to hear from you!

well @SaraK I have to check in on your life- it's so much more interesting than mine!

:hi: Good to see you and glad you are well.
I can tell you that I could stand for mine to be less interesting some times.
Uneventful CAN be good!
Hope spring is springing your way.:flwrysmile:

Continuing to work on getting body back in shape--two major surgeries and two minor ones in two years can put that off track. Want to get back in shape so I am ready for retirement-- may go join @SaraK for dancing!

I agree uneventful can be good @Mojo333. Hope things going well at work for you and with family.

You're welcome to join me any time! Or I'll dance my way to your place. I know what you mean on the surgeries. 2 surgeries in 6 weeks just about did me in - I mean, I didn't even have the energy to go dancing! Seriously, still working on stamina 6 weeks out from the second surgery.

Just wanted to update that progress still continues and I notice different improvements all the time. Two weeks ago I was in the store looking for pantyhose--wanted to see the bottom row (right above the floor). I suddenly realized that I was squatting all the way down (butt resting on heels). The more amazing part is that I was able to stand back up with no assist. I remember when the hips were bad this was something I could not do at all. It was standing with no assist that stunned me.

Still working on stretches for left leg (actually stretch both). Left knee and foot still get wonky at times but my mobility is really good and flexibility continues to increase. I had thought with first hip that at the one year mark it would be as good as it is going to get, but progress is still seen further out so don't give up if you think you aren't doing things you would like to.

Have been continuing to increase my walking. Through that and watching diet i am getting rid of the pesky few pounds I put on over the two year journey of hip replacements. Yesterday I went for a two hour walk and got in 14,000 steps straight. Haven't been able to do something like that in years due to hips.

I saw what @SaraK posted regarding Nick Saban on her thread. I certainly didn't recover as quickly as it sounds like he is, but I am pleased with my progress that still continues. Maybe I will actually try some hiking on some local trails around here if it ever stops raining!

Happy Sunday all.

Ginny

Great update and yay for getting down to the floor and back up...it amazes me too!
Hope your summer is sweet!

Glad to hear you're doing well @MammaT . It is fun when we find ourselves doing something without thinking, isn't it. It will be even better when we no longer notice those firsts!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back