Revision TKR Mamie's Recovery Thread

I don't check in very often now, but when I do, I look for your posts, Mamie. Sorry to see you are still having issues but I hope, and pray, that you find relief with your new healthcare person. Know that you are thought of often! :prayer:

Happy Easter All,

It is a new blessed day, and to everyone, I wish you the best.

As you may know, my revision surgery was July 17, 2020, and recently they had determined (not the surgeon) that when my pain began in July in my mid-thigh with huge swelling and continued through every post-op visit for months, it was a DVT. For months I suffered the pain, additional swelling, and heat in and around my knee so hot it kept me awake all night. Yet, my surgeon just kept telling me my surgery was complicated and took four hours, and this would go away. It never did. The only thing he said to me was that after three months, it was not legal to prescribe pain meds. Not a word about getting an ultrasound. I had no idea either that is what I needed. Now, it had come to light that I should have been given blood thinners after such surgery as a precautionary measure along with a TED hose when he did not ever give me blood thinners or the support hose.

I wanted to share this all with you because maybe when someone you know, or yourself, goes through a revision or knee replacement, you will know exactly what you should receive for care. I believe my surgeon was looking for an ego boost. Before surgery, we spoke about the procedure being a routine revision with no significant risks. However, at my first post-op, he bragged that he decided t to notch my femur bone so if the appliance slipped again, it would only slip to the notch. I did not know a surgeon can completely change procedure plans without telling you or your partner first.

Forewarned is best. Please listen up; there are risks to every surgery, so ASK. I am going on nine months now with a DVT untreated until my go-to doctor said we needed an ultrasound. I cried daily from sheer hell due to negligence and poor care my surgeon provided. He has changed the direction of my life forever and not to the best. Be careful and be sure about who you trust.

Finally, I feel like taking the Walk Challenge because it can be at my own pace, and I am tired of always resting with my leg elevated, but I do it because you must. This is a prolonged recovery for me, but finally, we see tiny improvements. For us, it is a Happy Easter because, at one point, we were not sure these cots that have damaged my vessels were not going to survive what should have been a difficult but routine procedure. Thank you again for the support; as I know, life would have been so much worse without you.

See You Soon...Take the WALK CHALLENGE, and give back to Bone Smart!

@Mamie It is so good to hear that you are finally feeling a bit better and have a clear reason for your previous problems. :flwrysmile: I hope that you will be able to heal fully from all the unfortunate experiences and lack of good treatment you have gone through!

Mamie,
Glad to hear things are looking up for you and your recovery. Wishing you continued slow but sure healing.

Thank you, @djklaugh and Pumpkin, for your support.
I should not have been so gabby, but it flooded from me in frustration. I wanted those who have had or waited for this surgery to know that serious problems can happen and to research their surgeons carefully. Also, to be sure to ask every question that crosses their minds. Ask the surgeon if they have done this procedure before...we have that right.

I am tired of careful and want my life back. But, my goal is by the one-year mark, another three months; however, not realistic. But, it is the first time since knee revision surgery, that we have some hope of recovery,

Goodnight!
Mamie

Bb

@Mamie: Just hopped on to see how you and your knee are doing. Please tell me that you are better! And that your clots are gone! Seriously, I sincerely hope you’ve turned a corner and are feeling LOTS better. Still thinking and praying for you…

Hello Stiff Knee. I, too, am continuing to pray for you and several others in this group as a whole. We are all in this together.
Sadly, I am still struggling, and things are no better. It has been over a year now, and I am wondering if my leg will ever heal. My surgeon messed me up badly, changed my file, and deleted our correspondence. My advice to anyone who communicates with a doctor in a system such as MyChart to keep a log of everything you write and what they do as well. I did not keep all of mine, and my dl and my surgeon deleted a lot of our conversation and refused to put it back. Some were useful, and I do wish I had copied it all.
I am having severe pain mid-thigh again as it was shortly after surgery. It was part of my DVT before, and I am praying it has not returned. For now, I am on Warfarin (Coumanidin).

Are you any better? I miss everyone here and knowing

@Mamie: apologies for this delayed response…I didn’t know you had responded.

I am SO sorry that you’re STILL struggling…and struggling with communications with your doctor, too. It can be very overwhelming! I haven’t experienced the issue with messages on My Chart getting deleted. Your suggestion to print the important ones is EXCELLENT, and one that I intend to follow.

Are you going to the same doctor or have you switched? My original doctor told me to “learn to live with it;” my NEW doctor is a lot more empathetic, willing to try some things and doesn’t have his hand on the doorknob for a fast getaway the entire time in the room.

Sending words of encouragement and strength as you get through your recuperation!

Hello Stiff Knee NC,
Thank you for replying and words of encouragement.
I am still struggling, and as a result of no care, my DVT got so bad it spread. There will not be a PET scan to look for other clots and instead have said I need to stay on Warfarin for life. It causes me to bleed internally, and it cannot be fixed.

I have not had a doctor of orthopedics follow or help me since the 3 month post-op time. I am pretty much on my own, except for my family doctor. He gives me anti-biotics when the knee becomes infected, as it has done several times. One area is always inflamed and will not heal. The fluid retention has hampered my ROM. But, in general, I feel blessed for so much in life.

I hope your issues are better, and it sure sounds like you found someone to care for. The problem I have is that no other orthopedist wants to pick up problems from another ortho's mistakes.

You are and have been in my prayer. May the angels always surround you with safety and successful healing.

Mamie

I am so sorry you have gone through all of this. It sounds like you have been through a lot but have a very supportive primary Doctor. Have you tried a University Hospital? I know when I worked at a couple we were referred complex cases. Usually they will see you after this length of time. I hope things improve for you. Living with pain is hard, hang in there.

Good Morning Everyone!

I am sorry I have been MIA for so long, but each of you has always remained in my thoughts and prayers. Struggles with my surgery knee/leg have been overwhelming, and why I have stayed away.

This morning I come to you all and ask for your prayers. As some of you may remember, I had a total revision on July 17, 2020, and I am still struggling to heal from many mistakes my surgeon made. My life has been spiraling down in crash modes to face one after another complication from his errors. My leg is fighting to heal from mistakes and complications that I had no clue were possible in a total knee revision. I am now facing a serious medical problem, and we are waiting to learn confirmation of a serious condition that will come on the 3rd. Please pray we find the strength to endure what will follow.

My second request is to find an attorney with a backbone and a thirst for justice. My leg has been severely compromised by what happened to me in the surgery room. My surgeon added an unnecessary and unsanctioned surgery without talking to us. He added two additional hours to a 90 minute surgery time. As a result, my leg bones are fragile, and I can never have any procedure without serious consequences, such as losing the leg.

I have spoken with several attorneys who state my case is a good one, but I am 74, and my life is not worth enough for them to take their time bringing it to justice! Is there ANYONE HERE IN OUR GROUP, AN ATTORNEY or KNOWS ONE that still believes in accountability? My leg has been holding about 16 to 20 pounds of fluid since surgery, has a breakdown of the skin refusing to heal, and this surgeon notched the bones-both the femur and tibia. My pain in my leg, if I stay still doing nothing, is a 4 to 5 on a pain scale of 1 to 10, and at least a ten on most days when trying to walk. Yesterday, I learned that he damaged the nodes causing the damaged cells not to be functional, allowing the leg to get rid of fluids which is nonrepairable. I have attached a photo of my bones in the leg damaged. He also left me untreated for blood clots in the femur, where the notching began. After complaining to my surgeon for months about the knee being hot, swollen, and red, all he ever said was it's early, and it will go away. At each and every appointment, he glanced from a distance at my leg, complaining that my ROM was not good enough, but never did he offer any help with the sorees or swelling.

My surgeon was never available when anything was wrong and told me to call my go-to doctor. When I did, he ordered a CAT Scan, angering my surgeon. Blood clots were found in the femur area. I was on Warfarin until a week ago...over a year!

I hope the description of why I asked for prayers makes sense, and you can help me with both prayer and an attorney who can bring an action in Washington State. If you are squeamish, don't look at the two photos attached. One shows part of the leg notched and swelling, and the other is the sores-breakdown of skin tissue from the nods and too much fluid pressure.

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Thank you, and I will see you soon!
Mamie

Attachments

• (Diane Adj) Left Lg Notchd swelling now in both legs.jpg
    (Diane Adj) Left Lg Notchd swelling now in both legs.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1405.jpeg
    IMG_1405.jpeg
    139.5 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_2032.jpeg
    IMG_2032.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 111
Oh, Mamie, what a terrible time you have had with this knee. Since I'm on the opposite side of the country from you I can't help with a lawyer suggestion, but I can pray for you to find who God has for you to get his matter settled.

I will also be praying for your complete healing. Our God is still in the miracle worker and you can be a recipient of one of those miracles!

Hello Sistersinhim,

You have always been so kind with your prayers. I apologize, but as I reread my post now (I also did before posting but missed my errors), I had not realized that when describing what my surgeon did to me when he damaged my "nodes," I meant to say lymph nodes which may help some understand what I was referring to. So when you read node or nods, it was to be lymph nodes.

I was just was told about that damage Friday night. As time goes on, more discovery keeps happening. It is believed that the four hours in surgery have taken a toll on my body, so healing or feeling better has yet to be. Notching the major bones in my leg is also believed to have caused or contributed to blood clots and lymph node damage. My biggest reason for wanting an attorney is to stop him from harming others and hopefully recover the special needs financially to care for my leg for the rest of my life. I am running out of time to file my case.

I welcome your prayers as my family, and I need God's help. We are afraid as this has affected my general health.
Again, thank you. This group has always meant so much to me, and I hope to bring as much support as I know; without it, healing is a lonely place when you feel so hopeless.

Thank you from all of us,

Mamie,
Sorry you have been through so much over the last few years.
Thinking of you and sending postive thoughts your way.

Mamie, here is a link to a list of attorneys in the Seattle area that were rated on their ability to handle cases such as yours. I don't know if you've researched all of them already or not, but thought I would provide this to you just in case. It is updated for 2022 and was provided by one of our staff (djklaugh). She also suggested you check out the Washington State Bar Association website which should have a list of malpractice attorneys.

@Mamie Special blessings to you. You have been through so much and your strength of spirit is humbling. I pray for comfort in your daily health struggles. Please, do not feel that you can’t share those struggles here. What is the saying? “A burden shared is a burden halved.” You do a good job of letting people know that your case is not everyone’s experience yet there are important things to know to avoid the possible pitfalls you have experienced.

Keep us posted on how you’re doing. I’ve always loved the slogan, “We’ll leave the light on for ya.” And that’s just what we’ll do. Hugs.

Continued prayers for you, @Mamie . God Bless you..!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back