Revision TKR Mamie's Recovery Thread

patience grasshopper.jpg

Patience Grasshopper

@Mamie ...... we haven't heard from you in a while. How are you doing? I hope things are okay and that you have a wonderful Christmas. Please know I'm thinking of you and sending you a hug.

@Mamie I was reading your posts today for the first time. I was wondering how you are doing? It seems like you really went through the wringer and I am so sorry that your had such a hard time and so much pain.
Please let us know how you are! Wishing you only good things and good health for the new year.
Sharon

Happy New Year, Everyone!
I have missed you all, but we have had challenging times here. The report:
Acute occlusive thrombus is noted within the mid to distal left femoral vein.

This clot is huge. I have been sick for a while when my nephrologist stepped in when the surgeon, as you all know, has done nothing to help me, and he re-ordered from a new source an ultrasound. DVT IS PRESENT. It runs a long distance, as I understand it. It has to have been there a long time as the mid-thigh pain and knee pain has never changed. I have been struggling. I was admitted to the hospital through the emergency room with multiple issues, one of which was spitting up blood, which leads the doctors to fret about the clot, thinking that it had hit my lungs.

The clot caused so much swelling (still so) for so long that the fluid build-up forced open two sores, and we fought that infection. I had been stating it was 13 pounds of fluid after surgery, but the math and I were wrong. I weighed almost 145 at the surgery, and within two days, my weight was 162, and with this new additional weight from transfusions, my weight added another 4 pounds. I need this to stop. Has anyone ever gone through this or have a clue how to help me?

But then I could not breathe and aspirate into my right lung causing bacteria pneumonia, and an x-ray shows a large mass. Somehow, I became severely anemic, and my red blood count dropped to 7, and even after having two units of blood and two iron infusions, my numbers did not improve but to 8.8. They have not figured out where the blood is going but now believe it is leaching into my tissues as my weight keeps going up from fluid they cannot rid of. After the transfusions, my weight is up another 4 pounds (166 pounds-21 pounds up from surgery weight, all but 4 pounds within 3 days of surgery), and I feel it and look it. Now, my last diagnosis was Congestive Heart Failure with complications of pneumonia, which all began because the hose for my legs to prevent blood clots was forgotten at the time of surgery. In spite of all this negative, my knee/leg still remains at 90 degrees but the swelling will not allow more. I continue to use my recumbent bike.

Please forgive my absence; I did not want to drag anyone down or discourage anyone from having their knees revised. Just be sure to find the right surgeon and ask every question you can think of. The surgeon works for you. Get references. It is YOUR RIGHT.

I am praying I can survive this ordeal so that I can be encouraging to everyone here. For now, the discussion is whether the clot should be removed or not. I will check in when I can, and if anyone needs whatever I can offer, I am here. If prayers are available from anyone, please may I ask for them? I am not ready to give up.

Happy New Year,
Mamie

Last edited:
@Mamie
You have my prayers for sure! I am praying for complete healing and that God gives you the strength you need to get through this. I am so sorry you’ve had so many awful complications. {{HUGS}}

Mamie,
Thank you for the update, understand why it was difficult for you to post while undergoing treatment for the clot in your leg.
Sounds like you are in good hands now, and are receiving the care you deserved from the start.

Sending healing thoughts and prayers your way, and for your medical team taking care of you.

Mamie...I’m thinking about you and praying that your health issues can all be resolved. You’ve been through such a difficult ordeal. When you’re feeling up to it, please do let us know how you’re doing. We care!

I am praying for your complete healing. Come back to us and let us know how you are doing.

Dear, dear Mamie......I am so sorry to read of all this that's been going on. It's shameless treatment for sure, but the most important thing is to have you turn the corner toward healing. I'm so thankful that you are finally getting a proper diagnosis and the attention that you deserve. I'll be praying for you every day. I know your strength and I firmly believe you can come out of all this. Please lean on your friends here if you need to.

Prayers for you, Mamie. :prayer:

Thank you everyone for your prayers. I lost my brother a little over a year ago and he said to me his luck had run out, but he was hoping my luck wouldn't run out any time soon. This last week, I must admit that has crossed my mind. This has been the largest and hardest war of my life. And that's saying a lot! I do want to encourage those pending the total revision, total knee or any other surgery, but ask questions, check out your surgeons, ask for references and have a "what if" plan in place. All of this I am fighting could have been avoiding if only the surgeon had done his job. He knew my history yet the "I forgot" excuse for no hose to prevent blood clots has costs me so much suffering and complications. From clots to pneumonia, and many things

Tomorrow, I am hoping to get into a Vascular surgeon about removing the clot. As I understand it, it runs from behind my knee some distance into my thigh in the femoral vein and is the vein most likely to let go striking the lungs (PE), heart or brain. I am horrified of the possibilities. All that said, with a good surgeon, I believe the revision could make a positive difference in a patients life. If I can beat the complications or odds, and even if I could not get more ROM due to this extraordinary swelling, I have 90 degrees after living with only 60 degrees for 14 years. I have not posted or shared with you because I do not want to take away the hope of those pending surgery. By the way, the machine that moves your leg I believe is a passive motion (not sure) is worth considering although my surgeon said he did not like them.

The surgery itself seems as though it could give you a new hopeful life. I also underestimated from simply not being informed by my surgeon that so much could happen if you are unaware. BoneSmart should be in everyone's contacts to learn the truths, complications possible and future outcome possibilities. PT should only be done with BoneSmart so no suffering ever has to happen. You must be your best advocate. I thought I was, but here I am fighting not only my leg, but fighting for my very life, praying I can win. Make sure you are in the hosiery following surgery to protect you from clots. If you research it, clots are not uncommon in orthopedic surgeries. My surgeon, told me of only two possible outcomes and clots was not one of them. Good luck to all of you as you have truly become my family. My prayers are with you all. Thank you again for praying for my life, and healing. Your friend forever, Mamie

Mamie, after your visit with the vascular surgeon and when you are strong enough, please do let us know the outcome of your consultation. I am concerned for you. I sent your update to Dr. Sinha to see if he had time to provide some comments that might be helpful. This is certainly a serious matter, but not one that would indicate you should give up. I hope this is an experienced vascular surgeon you plan to see. Be sure and ask questions about how he has handled similar situations in the past and have him explain the entire procedure to you. Sending you tons of ((((HUGS))))...

Mamie- I’m so sorry your going through this, I will be Praying for you.
That complication has been and is one of my big fears.
The fact that your doctors know it’s there and are working a way to keep you safe is good- I hops you get in to see the vascular surgeon Monday-I will be watching for your update on how it goes. Prayers and hugs.

@Mamie I am so sorry for all the pain and agony you are going through. I can not even imagine. It sounds like you are finally on a path to healing and you are being your best advocate. Please keep us posted. I will be watching for your updates. Sending good thoughts for healing.

So sorry you are going through all this @Mamie. Sending you healing wishes.

Thank you, Kneekeeper!
I truly do not want to put negatives in anyone's way. Still, if I can support fears and replace them with answers, I am happy to assist anyone with suggestions that get them the answers they need, especially if the surgeon is someone they have never seen before.

This is an amazingly supportive group. Thank you all.

@Mamie Your strength and determination are inspiring. Please stay in touch, all of us are here for you.

Hello...I will certainly take those hugs and prayers. Thank you.
@ Cococay, I am not sure when your surgery was, but I feel it was just recently. I am sorry that you have a fear of blood clots. It is a scary thought.
The symptoms of blood clots include some of these.
  • Pain or tenderness in your leg.
  • Swelling or warmth in your leg.
  • Red or discolored skin on your leg.
  • Veins that stick out.
  • Shortness of breath.
  • Coughing up blood.
  • Sudden chest pain.
  • Painful breathing.
If you have these concerns, talk to your doctor. Mine ignored me. If yours does the same, talk to your PCP. Blood clots are serious business, especially if you have ever had a DVT. Not much of anything you can do yourself, but an UltraSound can be done. I could not find your page to respond to your message but hopefully. It is proper here. My case was with a surgeon who was reckless and demanding. My PCP was the one to order the UltraSound. Before that, he also prescribed antibiotics for an infection believed to have happened due to excess swelling for so long. By the time of the UltraSound, my clots probably had been in my leg for months. As my PCP said this morning, the surgery caused my spiral downwards with no surgeon's support when trouble. I had so much swelling from fluid overload, I aspirated, and it was blood to enter my lung. It's a difficult path, but you are early on, so ask for an UltraSound if any of these symptoms are present.

Did your surgeon put the hosiery on your leg to avoid blood clots? Or start blood thinner protocol? Some don't use them, but they were at one time standard issue after surgeries and still should be. I hope this helps you.

Best of luck...you are in my prayers, and I will watch for updates.

Howdy @TKRsharon. Thank you for your kind words of support. My road to recovery is a very long one. Many complications happened to me that should never have occurred. Consequently, some life-threatening problems are in my way for recovery. Being your own advocate is always the best idea, and if lucky to find group support like this one, even better.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Nosila
Recent bookmarks