Revision TKR Mamie's Recovery Thread

Hello CricketHip!

Please, if you have any suggestions I am all ears and would so appreciate the help. This swelling is what causes the incision to blow open again and again. It gets infected. So any help I am grateful to hear and use. Yesterday morning three slits appeared alongside of the knee cap. The pressure is so great in that area and I have been trying to massage and work the fluid out before those slits turn into something worse.I'm so afraid of my new knee becoming infected.

Thank you again,
Mamie

Last edited by a moderator:
All I can say is to stop all exercises and elevate and ice as much as you can to get that swelling down. You do not need PT when your knee is so inflamed or infected. It sounds like your OS has no heart.

@Mamie I just hate to imagine what you are describing with your knee and the swelling.
I’ll leave you the information and if you can, try doing it twice daily. The deep diaphragmatic breathing is a key component. A huge majority of our lymph nodes are in our abdominal area. I find that very interesting. I so hope this helps you.
Take deep breaths.. deep, as in breathing in to a count of 3 or 4, whatever is best for you. hold it for another count of 3-4, then blow out completely, still using the count that's comfortable for you. A series of at least 6 of these could help get your excess swelling to move. To ensure you are taking proper deep breaths, place your hand on your navel and watch while taking in your breath, if doing this properly you should see your hand move up.

Then, as you slowly breath out, to the same count of either 3, 4 or 5 gently press down and slightly upwards with the palm of your hand.
Do this whenever you feel up to it during the day or night. The more supine that you can get in the recliner or bed, the more effective this can be.. you have lymph nodes located in your groin and sitting up too much can cause a restriction of the lymph flow.

You can, after the breathing, place your hands lightly on your upper thigh, right where the crease is in your groin and lightly stroke upwards towards your naval.
I did this quite a bit post op and while it takes a while for the body to wake up and respond, it will and it will help get things moving.
The reason this can help is because our lymphatic system doesn't use our cardiovascular system to help lymph fluids move.. no assistance from the heart pumping. Our breathing and our physical (muscular) movements keep it flowing.

HELLO CRICKETHIP.
:happyfeet:
I could swear I had replied to you but do not see it, nor to others. Please do send any suggestions that can help. I'm thinking about wearing my support socks sold to me after an ablation to both legs. I haven't for fear being knee high it may irritate things.

Thank you for my Happy Dance to learn more is out there that could help. Be safe and be well.

Mamie

Ok CricketHip, I refreshed my browser it saw your message. THANK YOU. I had heard of the groin info but not how to do it. I will begin after the breathing you sent. I appreciate your time.

Mamie

Well, sistersinhim, you are correct about no heart!

Only 2 degrees off with straight leg and he could not even give me that. I knew right then there was no hope in anything the will ever4 say to me.

As of yesterday, I stopped everything and kept the leg up and iced 24/7. No change as yet. I wake with a stiff leg and believe it or not, the one exercise I can do that does not increase pain or swelling...strange as I would think it would. I bought a recumbent bike. I do not try to make a circle but pedal ups and down and within 10 minutes my knee is no longer still. I go back to bed to rest with ice and elevation.It seems to help some to at least not have a stiff leg.

Best to you always
Mamie

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Revision lefty,

How did you hurt your back? I'm so sorry you are having your pain complicated by your back. It seems when a back hurts, everything hurts. Just know I keep you in my prayers. Your back could likely do well resting too.

Thank you for your prayers. I wish I could help you.

Mamie

Mamie, that small exercise you're doing on a recumbent bike is one of the best ones there is for someone with swelling problems as long as you don't do it too much. It was a great idea to get the bike to help you.

Thank you, Jamie. We really had to think about this hard as it so large and fairly expensive but I had spoken with PT's, several medical doctors I know, and read up on what type bike I should have, or if it was something I would ever use going forward. We bought it before the surgery so I would have it as soon as I was ready. I am doing it 2 to 3 times daily at 12 minutes twice and 8 minutes the other time. It feels good as my knee goes from stiff upon waking to relaxed after 12 minutes. Today, I actually went to 15 minutes after waking. I'm happy we made the correct choice. A couple of my medical friends had said the bike would be something I should use the rest of my life after a revision. This recumbent bike doubles as a stepper as well and we bought it from Big 5 sporting Goods.If anyone is interested, I can try to attach a photo.

Mamie

Mamie, I would love to see a picture of your recumbent bike.
A number of years ago, when I started riding the bike trails, I found a used recumbent bike. I loved riding it & it was so comfortable. But then I got a regular bike and sold my recumbent. I’ve regretted it since.

Hi Annie. I have never had one before or used one and love it. It has many features and converts to a walker when I am ready. My photos are next to my fabric bins so not the best but the attachment links are for Amazon and for Big 5 Sporting Goods. If you decide to buy it, go to Big 5 and sign up for the newsletter for 10% off or Google. Big 5 and there may be a coupon. I did and it sells for $599 and I got it for $480.
o
or Amazon

The motion on my bike makes my knee feel better when its so still upon waking.

Good Luck!
Mamie

Attachments

• IMG_3976.jpeg
    IMG_3976.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG_3974.jpeg
    IMG_3974.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_3972.jpeg
    IMG_3972.jpeg
    140.9 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_3973.jpeg
    IMG_3973.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 197
Hello All,

Question: Has anyone had really bad pain in the hip of your revision knee? My hip pain gets worse with time and usually when the Tip of the -- Pain is so bad. (sorry could not remember what the tip is called).

If so, what can we do to help it ease? Yesterday I stayed in bed and rested my leg and hip and got up onlyfor pit stops and to walk around.

Thanks,
Mamie

Hello CricketHip!

I just wanted to let you know the exercise massage or movements have helped the ache in my leg not be as awful. In hope in time it helps with swelling and less pain. Thank you so much for sharing it.

Mamie

@Mamie , just saw your pictures now. Thanks for sharing them. That looks like what I am using in PT. I really like that machine. I had bought another machine (kinda like a rowing machine except you don’t sit low) earlier that I want to get back on. So I will see how that machine does before buying this one. Thank you!

Hello All and welcome to Fall!

Can anyone tell me how long the swelling and heat radiation come from the surgical revision knee? I just need this to end and wondered what the typical time frame is. Thank you!

Mamie

@Mamie Unfortunately there is no time frame for recovery from revision. If you are still having swelling, keep icing and elevating. Boring I know - but your knee is in charge now.

@Mamie Glad to see you posting. Was wondering how you were doing. Sorry to see you are still struggling with swelling and pain. Hope you're getting better response from your doctors. Unfortunately, your knee is in charge and it's just a waiting game. Sending positive healing thoughts your way....:prayer:

I just need this to end and wondered what the typical time frame is
This is like asking how long is a string.
I had a revision, it was swollen for over a year, and still gets a little warm if I do too much.

Sounds like you have come a long way, since your surgery with all you have been through. Your poor knee has been unhappy since your primary TKR, of course it is going to take awhile for those poor soft tissues to heal.

recovery-chart-drawn-jpg.74621

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020
  • Hip4life
    Staff member since January 6, 2022
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Forum statistics