Revision TKR Mamie's Recovery Thread

Those exercises will be fine as long as you don't do them too many of the movements or push beyond mild discomfort. Start out with low numbers of the movement and see how your knee is the next day. Don't be in a hurry to increase the number of reps you do.

Then using your good leg, and pull the ball with the heel towards the hips allowing the new knee to help if possible. It gently bends the knee, stopping when you feel any discomfort. The other exercise is on the stair, a box, or a stack of books. Not too high but surgery leg steps up to the upsidedown box, rest, and then you lean forward with the knee in a rocking motion again to quit if pain occurs.
The ball exercise sounds all right, but I wouldn't try the other exercise yet. Your knee doesn't need more exercises right now. It's more important to get rid of all the swelling before you introduce new exercises. The swelling is preventing your knee from bending more anyway.

I'm a bit concerned that your PT recommended using an overturned box or a pile of books.
A box could be too high or too flimsy, and the books in a pile could move. Both those things could have the potential to cause an accident.

Celle has an excellent point that I didn't catch about that leaning into your knee exercise. Normally that is done on a step or maybe an exercise step-up platform. Whatever might be used MUST be very stable so that you don't risk things slipping and putting you off balance where you might fall. The height should be 6 inches or less.

Thanks, Jamie!

I let my body tell me when to stop. My head helped too. I decided that our steam mop and vacuum were too heavy to use while still using the walker and my knee is still hot and swollen. Dusting lower areas helped me bend my knee to where it did not hurt. I felt it pull but not horrible pain. I am not sure where the chart is located of when certain activities can be added back.

Peace Be With You,
Mamie
Good for you. Vacuuming is amazingly hard for quite a while.
I'm pleased you feel able to do more, but remember you don't want to overdue and bring the swelling back full force. It sounds like in another one of your posts that you tested your limits but listened to the knee and backed right off when you listened to the knee. Good job.:thumb:

Hello Kneeper,

Thank you Kneeper. I backed way off and I've just been taking care not to slip backward in progress.

I have done nothing for the last two days. They now have no doubts that my leg is infected in spite of the prior tests. They changed me to Keflex. The swelling in my knee has gotten better but still enough to have re-opened the incision in three places due to pressure. I am sad this is happening but anti-biotics should help me with chest congestion as well, that I have now developed. I cannot believe my knee has been so stubborn.

I hope doing a minimum on exercises is ok until Thursday so my leg has time to recover. I sure hope this is not a setback, but I never give up!

Thanks again!

Well, it’s all ok. My new antibiotic is making me feel aa little better already and I am down 9-1/2 fluid retention. Yeah,::

I am praying everyone here is doing well and feeling up!

good night,
Mamie

This is good, Mamie. Just keep doing what you're doing for a while longer and hopefully you'll have continued success at reducing the swelling.

Hello. I finally got back in. I could not get bacon on my new computer. My old one gave up the ghost! The books and box are anchored against the wall. But I did notice the box if not careful was too flimsy. So, I bought a plastic storage box about 5-1/2" high. I am afraid to practice on my actual stairs. The flight is too long and steep. I never go down them unless leaving home. Everything I need is upstairs for now.I do have a chair lift but going up and down is still difficult as the stairs are narrow and my leg to bend is difficult for now. I reached 80 degrees today without their help. Last week it was 72 degrees and 80 with their help so I was pleased. My surgeon won't be next week as I cannot get to 90 by then. Oh well! Thank you all for caring.

Good night,
Mamie

Glad you are feeling better, sounds like your knee is on the slow but sure track for gaining ROM. As long as you are gaining and the swelling is going down you will be fine.

Thank you Pumpkin.

I have a couple of questions. Since reaching the surgeon is not possible, hopefully someone here can.

They pain in my thigh and calf have been somewhat unbearable along with my knee. How long will this go on or is it due to the overall knee painIt feels as though zi can feel exactly where the parts begin and end.

PT has asked me to try to walk baby steps without the walker. I tried and either step as though my leg were a stick or it buckles backwards making me feel as though I may fall. How long do you typically need the walker?

Lastly, my pain of significance, swelling and hot leg persists. My surgeon had promised to allow pain meds to continue while in therapy but has now decided to not allow them. How long if averaging, does it take before pain begins to let up not needing pain meds after a revision? He said as long as I am not 90 degrees there’s no need. I’m trying but I am not yet ready but still have stiff muscles not allowing a better bend.

Thank you,again,

Mamie

Please forgive my typos. My new computer and the Dragon dictation are different. I will work harder to not make these errors. Forgive the intrusion.

I was able to learn early this evening from reading notes left in my discharge papers that due to severe bone loss they had to adapt my artificial parts and it is actually 1/2 to 3/4's up the thigh and 1/2 way down the calf. Is it possible since it is so large that is why I feel the pain so badly? The PA had said no one needs pain meds after the first month, but I am struggling with it.

Thank you again.

My OS here in the USA told me he gives his patients 6 weeks on pain meds. Hope this info helps you make your case.

The PA had said no one needs pain meds after the first month, but I am struggling with it.
This PA has no clue and your situation is very different. Please ask to speak to your surgeon and don't be put off by this PA.

Yes, it is possible that you can have some additional post-op pain due to long stems. Jaycey is right and you need to address any pain issues directly with your surgeon and not the PA.

Thank you for the suggestions regarding pain meds. I do not take much but know pushing harder may not be possible without it. He told me before that whatever the PA says he agrees on. The last survey the hospital sent me to take regarding my surgeon, I told them about the errors with their response being "I fell through the cracks" so he called me that next morning. Now the hospital is asking me what I feel my care is with the PT. I do not want to cause trouble or possible retribution but wonder if I should take their survey. They have contacted me 4 times to do so.

Good news...my infection is looking so much better. The antibiotics are working.Two of the three areas are looking healed. The last one is getting better.I am on the right road thanks to all of you here.
Have a great day!! :happyfeet:

Are you seeing an infectious disease doctor who's taking blood samples routinely? You can't go by the looks of your knee, you need to be getting blood test readings.

The PA had said no one needs pain meds after the first month

Thank you again.
:rotfl: The PA clearly hasn't talked to most TKR patients. I took pain meds for a full 6 weeks, though I was gradually spacing out the doses by 4 weeks.

I find it amazing how so many people think they know so much about this recovery yet have never had the surgery themselves. On hand experience is the best teacher!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back