Revision TKR Mamie's Recovery Thread

Culture returned negative.
Great news!

IMHO, I'd concentrate on getting that swelling down, and deal with ROM later. Your ROM will not improve much, if any, until the swelling begins to dissipate. I can't advise you on how to get it to go away totally, but elevating and icing are a great help, especially in these early days. If your leg swelling is increasing after activity, whether it's PT, or walking, it's telling you it's not quite ready for that activity so back off for a time and later gradually add some back in as tolerated without pain and swelling.

I used the Lounge Dr. I bought on Amazon, and it was perfect for me.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know how many pounds of fluid your leg is retaining?

Mamie, you might take a look at the Lounge Doctor. Click on the banner at the top of the page and you'll go to a page with more details about why BoneSmart is supporting this specific elevation tool.

Also, if you arrange for a telemedicine consultation with Dr. Sinha, I believe he could prescribe a product called Geko (a wearable device) that can provide relief from that swelling. I'm pretty sure your current surgeon either hasn't heard of it (it's new in the USA, originated in the UK) or wouldn't prescribe it for you.

Last edited:
Mamie I’m praying for you, just hand in there having that kind of fluid isn’t helping matters. I just wanted you to know your in my thoughts and prayers.

Has anyone had experience with leg wedges from Amazon?
I bought two of them. I put one on my bed and one on my recliner. Not having anyone here to shift them around for me when I changed from the bed to the recliner, I needed two. I loved them and felt they were well worth the money.

I just used a number of pillows to elevate, but a wedge may be easier. getting the pillows in the right position was a little bit like doing PT. :heehee: I will say that my best elevating was on my bed with my head down and leg up on my "pillow ramp." I listened to books on tapes or videos to pass the time.

Good afternoon all.

I am sorry that I have been quieter and not replying as much as I should have, but I fell into a slump and having a bit of trouble climbing out. My appointment went the same. I am at 70 degrees but struggling to maintain it due to swelling. I will not allow anyone to push my knee, either. I am improving that way because of all of you here and the way you share the more natural way to heal. Once I got my mind to accept this fantastic method of therapy, I found myself improving. But swelling has now become 13 pounds in fluid, and I am losing the ROM because of it. All my surgeon says is he wants the 90 degrees and that I needed to be in the Ted Hose he forgot. Not one word of encouragement. The PA wanted to start compression wraps, which I know work from using them in the past, and finally, the surgeon agreed. They both asked me if I was still taking blood thinners when I tell them they never gave them to me. They exchange glances and say, well, aspirin is good too, but I know from my own experience they bare not as effective as Brilinta, which I have been on before for DVTs.

They X-rayed me again, and the PA, while looking at them, seemed bothered. She abruptly said I will be right back. The surgeon came in and directly went to the x-rays and just exchanged looks again, so I asked. The comment was that he hoped we do not need to redo the surgery as it would be a nightmare for him and me. What aren't they telling me? This, the Ted hose, the blood thinners, and their shock over the 13 pounds of fluid. It's so uncomfortable with this excess weight from the beginning and increasing. They told me it is not unusual, but this much is concerning but to keep pushing for 90 to 110 degrees by the next visit. They may have gotten mad because I looked at them and laughed. I informed them that my knee improves but only when babied and doing easy moves-not being tortured. Now, they are suggesting I see a different therapist-#3 as she is a friend of theirs who does this compression bandages after therapy. I thought about it, but it is a very long drive, and my husband and I know how to do the wraps.

Maybe I am nothing more than a child who needs that recognition from their authority consulted, but I felt going from 51 degrees on Friday to 70 degrees on Monday was a big deal. They didn't! I do not care, but I did. A small token of encouragement from them would be nice instead of constant disappointment. Make sense?

Has anyone experienced this kind of issue or retained so many pounds, and knowing you can't fix it alone? How do you get out of your slump? I was excited about my progress, especially since it was done without much discomfort. I still am but bumped by my medical care. I hope I can help all of you as you have me. You are all in my prayers, and I thank you for yours too.

Thank you for listening,
Mamie

Thank you, sistersinhim and Kneeper, for your tips about the wedges. He is still not on board for the gabapentin but also said in two weeks no more pain meds either. They feel no matter what, you should just bear it. I am praying this swelling, and many many knots around my knee go away as they are another source of pain and keep me from bending my knee. They simply do not seem to care.

I think I will try the wedge and see what happens. Thank you again.

Mamie

I wanted everyone also to know I have been in contact with my GP, and tomorrow we are returning to see him about this fluid. He seems to be more concerned than the surgeon.

Thank you all for the support. Soon I will share the good news. But for now, 51 degrees to 70 degrees is my happy place. It has taken almost four weeks as they pointed out to me, but easy was better than their torture!

Mamie, you haven't mentioned Dr. Sinha. Any progress there?

I felt going from 51 degrees on Friday to 70 degrees on Monday was a big deal
19 degrees in 3 days is outstanding! Enjoy every bit of that improvement. You have earned it and deserve it. Phooey on your doctor and the PA. You are the only one you have to please and you should be very pleased with yourself.

I think icing and elevating with your toes above your nose will help to drain out that fluid. I gained about 10 pounds of fluid. My swelling would come down when I elevated, but come back up after I was up for a little while. That's why I spent so much time icing and elevating as I was healing. After a couple of months, I could ice and elevate less after activities, but I was still doing it for at least 4-5 months if I swelled. Doing that helped to keep the swelling and pain down. Are you elevating high enough? You will love the Lounge Doctor. Be sure to use it as our illustration says. You should see an improvement.

Thank you, sistersinhim. It's too bad they do not warn you about this retention. I was alarmed thinking no appetite but laid here and gained weight. Lounge Doctor? Where or who is that? A few days ago, something called Lounge Doctor was open on my computer but I did not know it so I closed it, but have no idea how to get back there. My compression wrap has helped the last two days but I am not sure how high is enough for elevation. That is why I was asking about the wedges.

I so want to either have great news to share or shut up and figure it for myself. No one wants to listen to a whiner or crummy news regularly. I am truly sorry not to have great news to share when we are all in the same boat. Thank you for sharing your experience. I just kept thinking why am I always having new negative experiences. I wake each morning in terrible pain but happy to see the new day. I love life but just not all the negatives that come along. So, I sincerely apologize. :sorry: I do pray for each person in this amazing group and those that keep reaching out when their pain is as bad. Stay safe

Greetings Revision Lefty! :happyfeet:

Your prayers are always appreciated. How are you doing in recovery? You are part of my daily Rosary prayers. I believe they are the best to protect us all.

Are you doing well with therapy at home from BoneSmart? I did and do better when I follow their advice and even when going to therapy away from home if it is not on Bonesmart, I do not allow anyone to force me. That is why I believe I went from 50 degrees to 70 over a weekend. Is that what you are also doing? Stay safe and happy. We are that much closer to being healed with each new day!
Mamie

Howdy, lovetocookandsew!

Now that summer is taking off, are you enjoying new summer recipes? I am not ready yet but my mind thinks up many projects to either cook or sew. I just wanted to drop in and say hello and thank you for the support you have given me. I can hardly wait for us all to be better and without pain, so rejoicing together can be a huge celebration. I assume you have gone through this at some time.

Take care, and know what you do for others really matters.
Mamie

You should be elevating with your knee above your nose. The Lounge Doctor is a leg elevator. If you click on our banner at the top of the page, it'll tell you all about it. I bought 2, one for my bed and one for my recliner before my surgery because I knew how important elevating is.

Here's what the banner looks like:
1597356049496.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mamie, I’m doing much better since I took a 2 week break. I’m starting next week again with Pt at home. I have no idea what my ROM is, I can walk around the house without an aide cane or walker. I’m saying rosaries also, I hope and pray you are doing better. Don’t be afraid to vent, we all need to be able to do it. This recovery is not for the weak at heart. Hang in there, don’t give up we are all pulling for you. God Bless

Howdy Jamie,

Now I see why I had Lounge Doctor open. It was you and your sweet sharing I had gone there. Thank you. I could not remember, so now I will go back to see what they offer for elevation. I am hoping to be as supportive to you as you have been to me. Without your help and others in this group, I am not sure I could have come this far in recovery without losing what sanity I have. No one prepares you for the little things such as knowledge of issues that may catch you off guard. But you and this group certainly do. A list of possible issues posted for those getting ready for this surgery would be helpful. The surgeon certainly does not tell you much. Gaining 13 pounds of fluid was a shock and negative responses were nagging me as I had no idea it would or could be a consequence of this surgery.

This group is exceptional and I share with everyone just how magical a support group like yours is invaluable to moving through the phases and getting to know others in the exact same position. I hope you take time for yourself to read, sleep, or just being happy.

Thank You,
Mamie:thankyou:

HaHaHa :thankyou: for the laugh, Kneeper!

I suppose the pillow decking would be like PT...it's difficult, stubborn, and a challenge. I wanted to say thank you for not only the laughs but the comforting style and compassion. But in my mind, I can't see how I can type (writing) while the head is flat!

Take care.
Mamie

^True! You would have to sit up sometimes to join us here on Bonesmart! :)
And if you think arranging the pillow ramp is funny, you should have seen the gryrations I went through getting my socks on in the early days! :rotfl:

The Lounge Doctor was perfect for me. I pray it will work for you, too. It is expensive, but for the relief it gives us, it's well worth it. I was even able to use it after I broke my foot/ankle and will use it again when I have the left knee replaced.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks