Revision TKR Mamie's Recovery Thread

I don't care what your OS said about the ER-go there today. That fluid needs to be checked to rule out an infection. At the very least, contact your surgeon now. IMHO, I'd go to the ER now, and also message your OS.

I agree. It's your knee and this is serious. It's not your surgeon's knee or your GP's knee. You need to be seen by someone who knows how serious this is. Don't stand for this being 'blown off'. It's your life! Please go to the ER NOW!

@Mamie - this could be serious.
Never mind that your surgeon told you not to go to the ER. This is your knee that needs attention, not his.
If you can't contact him and get in to see him straight away, go to the ER. Your knee needs urgent attention.
This is not a "wait and see" situation. Take action now, to protect your knee.

Mamie, I’ve read the last several pages of your posts and I’m with everyone else here: I hope you’ve gone to the ER.
I’m so sorry this is such an ordeal and your support had been minimal, at best. Sending healing vibes your way and hoping for improvement.

It helps to get other opinions as my immediate mind went to what tge surgeon told me before surgery. I had asked him if there any really bad consequences of this surgery. He said two but had never happened to his patients. I have a heart disease so he said I could die on the table or lose my leg. That thought freaks me out and why I disregarded his instructions about seeking help yesterday the G.P. said it look really angry but of course it did not drain while someone was looking at it. So he said call him if any changes. This morning it’s not a yellow thick discharge but a whitish-yellow. I have ab appointment in 45 minutes to see a doctor. He is not one who could treat this but would be able to tell me if it is infected. I will post afterwards.
I am not sure if the color difference was just old crud from the stitches or if the new color was better news or worse. I only know that I could never lose my leg. Thank you for caring.

Thank you Celle, and everyone for your opinions. We are almost at my appointment to see a doctor who will at least tell me if it is infected or what.
Mamie

I have a heart disease so he said I could die on the table or lose my leg.
Well, that was helpful of him - not!
You didn't die on the table and you're not going to lose your leg, either.

If your knee is infected, there is every chance that it can be treated, although complete treatment sometimes takes a long time.
Over the years, BoneSmart has had lots of people with joint infections and not one of them has had to lose a leg. Amputation is an absolute last resort and it would only be done if it was the only way to save your life.

I told him I have a strong will and I was not going to do either. But, it was not nice to hear. Well, I am too stubborn and I beat the one but this leg is just going to beat this temporary problem. I have too much to do quit anyway. As I said, He did add it had never happened to any of his patients. As long as he is so seeming indifferent, I am determined to show him otherwise. Now, the great news. It ( blood work and stat culture) came back just now as NEGATIVE!! Our 32nd anniversary was last night and we did not feel like celebrating. But tonight we do!
Thank you Celle,
Mamieauthor

Mamie, that is great news about the blood work and culture. I know that's a relief for you. But....you still have a painful and swollen knee that we need to work on. Have you talked with your GP or surgeon about the gabapentin?

Now, the great news. It ( blood work and stat culture) came back just now as NEGATIVE!!
That's really good news, @Mamie . :yes!: :yay:
I hope they asked for a 3-day test on the swab culture as well. Sometimes it takes up to 3 days for all the drug sensitivities to be completed.

Now you now your knee isn't infected, see if you can reduce some of its heat and swelling, by spending as much time as you can resting, icing and elevating that knee. Don't forget to get up and walk around a little every hour or so as well.

He,lo again Celle

my doctor just called. I made a mistake. The culture is not back until morning. I will stay posted when I hear. I just got excited too soon.

Jamie, my screen disappeared again before I finished my message. My surgeon had said no for gabapentin because I could not tell him what I expected it to do and I did not need a seizure medicine and it was not needed for then occasional breakthrough neuropathy pain.

Mamie

I'm surprised your doctor isn't familiar with gabapentin. It can be quite helpful for many people.

My surgeon had said no for gabapentin because I could not tell him what I expected it to do and I did not need a seizure medicine and it was not needed for then occasional breakthrough neuropathy pain.
It's true that Gabapentin was originally used as anti-seizure medication, but it has also been found to be very helpful in reducing nerve pain. It's not much help in dealing with general post-op pain, though.

I'm sorry to hear he's not on board with some of the latest uses for gabapentin following joint replacement surgery. If he won't cooperate, try your GP. It works for many people and certainly would be worth a try. Dr. Sinha could most certainly help you when you have a consultation with him.

Thanks Jamie

I have three things to share tonight.
PT has been very easy and helped me get as far as possible. I went from 51 degrees on last Friday and yesterday only 3 days I reached 70 degrees. The only consequence was more swelling. She did not push either but we saw my leg actually blow up.
Culture returned negative. Yeah.
today I saw my surgeon and his PA. THEY said pain meds for two more weeks and no more of anything. Not good news but I have a back up plan.

The surgeon wanted to see what my knee would do. I showed him 70 degrees and he was still not happy. Yet, both of them were shocked about the swelling. 13 pounds of fluid retention. My entire leg and foot in a bad way. They applied a compression bandage on my entire leg to wear for two days and wants me to see “her friend” whose a therapist specializing in fluid retention. Years ago I saw that person and had my legs wrapped for the same reason. It worked. But to go there means changing therapist to that same office and I don’t want to.
I am frightened about 13 pounds of fluid because of my being in kidney failure already. I am to elevate higher than my pillows. Has anyone had experience with leg wedges from Amazon?

I hope everyone is healing from their surgeries and thank all of you for support. Any suggestions would be appreciated for this swelling.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Hip4life
    Staff member since January 6, 2022

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GordieO