BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. ATTENTION: Download the new BoneSmart® app today! This FREE app is available for iOS or android phones and tablets and will allow you to connect to the forum on all of your devices. The old Tapatalk app is being discontinued so get the new app now.

Get The app HERE

Dismiss Notice

Mako v traditional surgery?

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by zab, Jun 10, 2018.

1. zab

zab new member

Australia Australia
    Hi everyone. I have been advised I need a left medial partial knee replacement. I have been researching the procedure and surgeons in my area and in that research come across the option Makoplasty.

I am very active and really into my fitness training and intend to be so after the operation within the limitations of my knee.

I've read Mako is more accurate than traditional surgery however I have strong recommendations for a surgeon who does not offer this service.

My question is should I be seeking out the latest in technology for the procedure or does a highly recommended surgeon carry more weight.

Just a bit confused at the moment.

2. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Hi @zab and welcome!

The question of custom knee replacements vs. traditional comes up often. Getting the best replacement current technology has to offer makes a lot of sense. Getting the best surgeon to install your new knee also makes a lot of sense. A top rate mechanic can make a better repair than just a great part all on its own. So it comes down to whether technology trumps surgeon.

If you have a surgeon in your area who does Mako knee replacements and has done hundreds of these surgeries -- and better yet, hundreds a year -- that's a good combo. You know the surgeon is skilled at both knee replacement and using the Mako implant. Better yet if the patients getting the surgery from this surgeon report great results. If the technology is new to your area, which usually means the surgeon new at using it, that's not as good a situation. Inexperienced surgeons generally don't have the high satisfaction/good results ratings of experienced surgeons.

Our advice here is always to get the best surgeon you can find and get the brand of implant that surgeon prefers to use. The surgeon will be really really good at making that implant work for the patient. As a result you are most likely to get a good outcome.

I looked at Mako knee replacements. It's available in my area and I like the technology (just love advancements in tech and medicine). I went with a traditional surgeon who has a stellar TKR reputation and got traditional knee replacements. They work great and I couldn't be happier. I think I would have been just as happy had I gotten an excellent surgeon to do the Mako knees.

Go with the surgeon you think will do the best job. :yes!:

3. SusieShoes

Here's some pre-op reading we give to all new members looking at TKR. Hope you find it useful!

If you have concern about pain with this surgery, Plan For Pain, can be helpful for having this discussion with your medical team.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
    Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
    BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
    Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

If you have any questions, fire away - we're here to help.

4. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Don't be mislead by the advertising! Makoplasty is a good procedure but just because it uses a robot does NOT make it infallible!
    Recommendations for what?
    Fact is, the standard knees have really good outcomes and and partials are, to put it mildly, somewhat questionable.

In Jan 2011, I started a log of people who had to have their partials converted to a total within about a year or less. So far it is up to 35 which is a lot considering the small representation of partials on the forum over all.

5. zab

zab new member

Australia Australia
    Thanks Mako it is relatively new in my area (2015) I need to further research the capabilities of the surgeons that carry out the procedure I guess.

6. zab

zab new member

Australia Australia
    Thanks I will have a read through this.

7. zab

zab new member

Australia Australia
    I never said it was infallible, it's just an option I am looking into.

Conduct the surgery!

I do not need a TKR at this moment in time, you don't replace a car engine if doing the timing belt will suffice :)

I have read the research and am fully aware of the expectations of a PKR some last many many years others don't. As a relatively young person who is very active the PKR is the best option for me at this moment, it may fail at some point or the arthritis may spread so be it that's life.

8. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    My first knee replacement was a PKR. It served me well and lasted for 11 years. I haven't come across anyone whose PKR lasted longer than that.
    It failed suddenly, and most inconveniently, when the spacer broke suddenly while I was in Canada. I had to travel back to my home in New Zealand to get it fixed. I then had a revision to a TKR, which also gives me full mobility.

If you are going to have a PKR, do make sure that the surgeon you choose has a lot of experience and success with PKRs. Doing them takes a special skill set which, unfortunately, some surgeons don't seem to have.

When my second knee needed replacing, I chose to go straight to a TKR, which has proved to give me excellent mobility.

9. zab

zab new member

Australia Australia
    Thanks the surgeon that has been recommended to me has been recommended by a work colleague who had a PKR done by him 8 yrs ago (still going strong) that person is currently off work after having TKR on his other knee last week done by the same surgeon, the surgeon seems to be highly respected in my area so he will be most likely who I go with, however I'm always keen to look at alternatives, I don't think however the guys doing Makoplasty in Perth have been doing it very long not to say they are not very good at it just a bit of an unknown.

10. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

That’s great his lasted him so long! No wonder you feel so confident going with the partial this surgeon recommended. Will yours be the same partial as he had?

Mine is a partial that hasn’t gone well. It’s a Patellofemoral. I have a second opinion appointment in a few days. It’s been 15 months and has never gotten “to the finish line”. I fear a revision is coming much sooner than later. Too be very honest, I haven’t recovered from this one yet. Definitely not the outcome or the timeframe I was expecting.

11. zab

zab new member

Australia Australia
    Hi Jockette yes his was a medial too, however I know we are all different my colleague is not what you would call the perfect example of someone who meets the criteria for a PKR either he is extremely overweight amongst other health issues,he was told at the time of his last surgery he needed a TKR by two other surgeons and only on recommendation from his GP he ended up seeing this particular OS who immediately said there was absolutely no need for a TKR, however this time on his right knee he said there wasn't a chance in hell he could get away with anything else but a TKR. Also with the power of the internet these days it's fairly easy to get a feel for such people before meeting them.

I have read some of your posts sorry to hear you are not getting to where you want to be with your knee, I hope you get to some sort of resolution soon, just shows there is not one size fits all with regards to these things, just like the PT/exercise V No PT/exercise debate on this forum.

• Like Like x 1
  12. SusieShoes

Nothing about joint replacement is one size fits all. If only it were! Giving advice would be easy then... "Do this and all will go perfectly!" Instead, the best any of us can do is to get our hands on as much good, quality information as possible. That way we can make an informed decision... after which we cross our fingers and hope for the best!

These discussions -- about implant types, surgeons, recovery tips, and PT -- are good because they give all of us more information to work with. Knowledge really is power. :yes:

13. Qponpower

Qponpower new member

I had Makoplasty 4/30. Was driving at 2 weeks 3 days. Did home PT for 2 weeks. Graduated on to real PT 3X's per week for 6 weeks. I am currently 6 weeks 3 days post surgery. Every week is better. I left a surgeon I had been seeing for 2 years, because he nixed Makoplasty. I feel I had a excellent surgeon and the best in technology currently available for TKR. I hail the praises of Makoplasty and the Triathlon Knee. Best wishes Shawn

14. zab

zab new member

Australia Australia
    Thanks the recovery does seem to be quicker in general, I've been reading up more and am still undecided which OS I will use I will be getting a referral from my GP so I can visit a number a few to see how I feel about them.