BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[PARTIAL KR] Mako Medial Right Knee Replacement<

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Doupie, May 26, 2018.

1. Doupie

Doupie member

United States United States
    I am home and this has been a horrific experience....
    I woke up in recovery in excruciating pain and It’s still not under control. I can’t keep anything on my stomach, taking Zofran 4mg for nausea, they were giving me 10 mg of Hydrocodone, with an injection of Dilaudid in my IV, which would stop the pain immediately but my doctor decided that I needed to go home this morning....ugh. So now that I’m home, I have 2mg Dilaudid every 4 hours to control the pain, not working.....:cry:

I am elevating, icing and taking the meds on schedule, but I have waves of pain washing over my knee and thigh, please help me? What am I doing wrong? I hurt too bad to go thru threads. Haven’t been able to sleep much either.......

2. katchmo

katchmo senior

Please call your care provider and see if you can up your medication. It sounds like you are really suffering. And be sure to take it right on time, even if that means setting an alarm! You should not have been sent home in such severe pain.

3. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    I agree with katchmo. You do need to let your surgeon know that your pain medication is inadequate. You shouldn't have been discharged until your pain was under control.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. You are resting, icing , elevating, and taking your pain medications on time.
    Don't try to do any exercises yet, except for ankle pumps. Just walking to and from the bathroom will be plenty of exercise for now.

Here is some post-op reading for you - I hope there's something in there that helps as well:
    Knee Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now; they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)
    don't overwork.
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. Here is a week-by-week guide for Activity progression for TKRs

The Recovery articles:
    The importance of managing pain after a TKR and the pain chart
    Swollen and stiff knee: what causes it?

Energy drain for TKRs
    Elevation is the key

Ice to control pain and swelling
    Heel slides and how to do them properly

Chart representation of TKR recovery
    Healing: how long does it take?

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

There are also some cautionary articles here
    Myth busting: no pain, no gain
    Myth busting: the "window of opportunity" in TKR
    Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds

Please don't be overwhelmed by the list. The articles are not long and they and contain information that will answer many questions and help you make your recovery much easier on your knee and on you.

We are here to help in any way we can: answering questions and concerns; supporting and encouraging you from start to finish.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Doupie

Doupie member

Thanks guys, I feel like a complete idiot for allowing them to discharge me. I’m emailing my surgeon right now. As long as I’m elevated and iced I’m ok, but when I. Need to go to the bathroom.....:groan:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    Whatever you do, don't blame yourself. It was a medical misjudgment, not your fault at all.

I know it's a long weekend, but is there any chance you can phone your surgeon? Waiting for an email response seems bit slow. Does he/she have anyone on call for his/her patients?
    If you get desperate, go to the ER.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Jockette

Jockette FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

It is definitely not you’re fault they sent you home when they did!

I was only in the hospital one night. My surgery was mid day Monday and I was discharged Tuesday evening. I don’t remember what my pain relief was in the hospital but I was sent home with dilauded 4 mg and when I finished that bottle, I had dilaudud 2 mg. The 2 mg was not enough so they said I could take 2 if them at a time.

To be honest, I don’t know how well it worked, I was in a lot of pain and didn’t feel any more as it neared time to take another. So, I just assumed it was working.

I remember that awful pain of standing up those first few days, I could literally feel the pain just burn down my leg.

I hope you get hold of your doctor today!

And Welcome to Bonesmart Recovery side! Hang out with us, we know what you’re going through.

7. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hope you get to talk with your doctor soon and arrange for better pain control. :praying: The first week after TKR is brutally painful, but bearable with proper pain meds. Finding what works for you is so important!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Smythe89

Smythe89 junior member

Oh no. So sorry to hear this. Praying you get some answers and more importantly relief

9. Doupie

Doupie member

I spoke to my Doctor’s office and they apologized for the hospital releasing me and increased my meds to every 2 hours 4 mg Dilaudid and 5 Tylenol in between. Having spent the past 12-15 hours medicating, elevating and icing, I am pleased to report that my pain is under control.....:yes!:
    It still hurts like hell when I get up to go to bathroom and kitchen, but not like yesterday, Thank God...

Now everyone is telling me to not let it get stiff and walk and do my exercises. I’m not taking any chance with this getting out of control again. Am I right or wrong?

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. kneeper

kneeper FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

You are right.
    Right now getting the pain to a consistently manageable level and rest is more crucial than any exercise. And you are getting up to go to the bathroom, which is exercise in the first few days.

• Like Like x 1
  11. katchmo

katchmo senior

Glad you are doing better!

12. Smythe89

Smythe89 junior member

Great news!!

13. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    I'm glad you managed to get your pain relief sorted out better.

You don't need to do a lot of exercise. Just walk to and from the bathroom and maybe into the kitchen every couple of hours.

I know that a lot of surgeons and PTs say you need to start exercising straight away, but my surgeon does not.
    He doesn't allow any PT at all for the first month after a knee replacement. He says your knee needs that time, to start on its journey of healing.
    For that month, we rest, ice and elevate our leg, and walk around the house.
    After that month, we just go to PT once every 2 weeks, where we are shown a few new exercises to do at home.
    His patients all do well and achieve good ROM (Range of Motion) , as I did, and he hasn't had to do a manipulation to help with ROM for the past 4 years. I think that speaks for itself.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Doupie

Doupie member

Yes I’m going to the bathroom and exercising every time I get up by walking to and from the kitchen. I really think that PT, combined with lack of pain medication caused all my problems! My doctor says that the first 4 days are really the worst, after that it’s a piece if cake.....LoL

Home Health Care is coming tomorrow, Wonder what he’s going to do.....

15. katchmo

katchmo senior

Weeeellllll, that wasn't QUITE my experience!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. Doupie

Doupie member

Yeah they should make some kind of simulator so they will know how it actually feels, etc that will change their tunes.....lol
    Hey guys, can I put an ice pack on the back of my knee? the nurse at the hospital said that doing that would slow my circulation and cause a blood clot. Not sure if this is the case or not.....

17. Celle

New Zealand New Zealand
    It's pretty obvious he hasn't had a knee replacement himself. He's dreaming!
    I'd say the first 4 weeks are the worst.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Mutti3

Mutti3 graduate

Used an ice pack under my knee, it worked well to reduce discomfort.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SusieShoes

SusieShoes FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

You can use an ice pack behind your knee. Just take the same precaution you would on top of your knee: have something — your pant leg, a dish towel, or something like that — between the ice pack and your skin.

• Like Like x 1
  20. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Obviously these people haven't had a tkr and don't have any idea how to rehab one. It's amazing how many people want to tell us how to heal our knees. I just ignored them.

Again, he's never had a TKR! I agree with Celle that it's at least 4 weeks, not 4 days!

Many of us never took formal PT or did exercises. I am one of them. I had 11 knee surgeries, 2 of them kneecap removals and 1 tkr. Even after those I never took PT. But, I didn't just sit around and do nothing. I took care of myself, my house and yard as my knee allowed me to do. As I healed, I did more. But, my knee was always in control! This was enough therapy for me and would be for any tkr patient. All the awful pain of PT is so unnecessary.

All you have to do is use it in your daily living! Your knee knows how to rehab itself and doesn't need anyone telling it how. Just use it and it will come back like new! You have to be patient, though, it doesn't happen quickly! ADL,(activities of daily living), going to the bathroom, brushing your teeth and bathing, fixing a light meal, getting something to drink and or a snack, those kinds of things will be all the exercise your knee needs. If you just use it daily in your living, you will have a quicker and less painful recovery. We know what works, we've been there!

• Friendly Friendly x 1