THR Making the big decision

trentgirl

Country
United States United States
I've seen a couple posts with a similar topic, but I'm here for more advice. My hips bother me enough that I've seen multiple doctors, mostly hoping to have someone tell me there is an option other than THR. Nope, that's what awaits me for both hips. However, I'm not bone-on-bone yet so the pain isn't horrible. It doesn't bother me at all sometimes, though it does interfere with activities I love - golfing, hiking and working out. So deciding whether to do the surgery now (one hip in April, the other in September), before I'm in constant pain, or wait until it gets worse. In that case I won't have any doubts, but on the other hand who wants to be in constant pain. Appreciate thoughts/encouragement.

@trentgirl Welcome to BoneSmart! I waited too long for my first THR and I can confirm the recovery was much more complex and longer. I was bone on bone and my hip finally collapsed. The impact of waiting really was significant.

Fast forward - when my second hip started complaining - much like what you are describing, I ran to the surgeon and had it replaced as soon as I could. That recovery was months versus the one year plus for my first recovery.

It's a tough decision I know. But you are already seeing the limits in your activity. Life is too short - get those hips done and get on with living again!

I agree with, Jaycey. While I was bone on bone, my hip did not cause me constant pain. However, my world was shrinking. If you know THR is necessary, you may consider doing it sooner, rather than later and begin enjoying life fully once again. It is already interfering with the things you love, golf, hiking, working out. It normally gets worse and this can happen quickly.

If not already, soon you'll be wondering how far you’ll have to walk to get inside your destination, how many stairs may you have to climb, looking for the closest parking spot to the door at the store etc. I wish I hadn't let it to get to that point and don't believe I'd ever waste that time again, now knowing I could have been feeling good rather than wondering if it will be a good day, or bad day.
Wishing you comfort as you make decisions and move forward.
@trentgirl

I waited a long time before doing mine, One of the deciding factors was my GP told me I was in good shape and I won't be in any better shape if I wait and the better shape I'm in the better the outcome and the longer I'll get to enjoy the new hips. Don't like to think about it but we're on the backside of the hill. All of that said the ultimate decision is up to you, it's an elective surgery.

I'd 100% make sure a thr is necessary and it is not some other underlying condition. Get a second opinion before you move forward. Big decision!

I'd 100% make sure a thr is necessary and it is not some other underlying condition.
I am wondering if you misunderstood, trentgirl, because it appears she's had appointments with multiple doctors hoping one would tell her there are options other than THR, but so far hasn't heard of an alternative. Unless I'm misunderstanding her.

You're certainly right that it's a big decision. Hopefully you're thriving and happy with your decision to undergo THR. And I also hope, trentgirl, is comfortable and confident with whatever decision she makes.

@trentgirl Welcome to BoneSmart! :welome: As others have said it is a personal decision about when to get hip replacement(s). And as they have also said if you wait too long the surgery becomes more complicated and you could have a longer recuperation time as muscles around the hips would need more rehab to get back to functioning like they are supposed to. Since you report that both hips have cause you some problems you might consider (if you can find a surgeon who will do this) having both replaced at once . I did that when I was 64yo and am very glad I did!

Here is the BoneSmart reading list for folks considering getting a THR or 2. Particularly look at the Score Chart ... be really honest with your self about that! And here is a humorous but accurate pain scale to consider as well:

Hip: pre-surgery considerations

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic hip?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads in stories of amazing hip recoveries

Yes, I've seen multiple doctors, and they all said THR would be necessary at some point. Everyone says 'you'll know when it's time' which is where I'm still struggling. Thanks again for all the input!

Hi @trentgirl
I just realized that we’ve been posting on another member’s thread.
So here I am, on your thread to say please don’t worry about the surgery process. You’ve chosen a great surgeon and the surgery centers are pretty amazing with very good after care.
The anesthesiologist will be very receptive to your concerns.
You mentioned a surgery center that you will use, does this mean you have a surgery date set?
If yes, would like to make a signature that reflects this for you, along with which hip you decide to do first.

Hi @trentgirl
I just realized that we’ve been posting on another member’s thread.
So here I am, on your thread to say please don’t worry about the surgery process. You’ve chosen a great surgeon and the surgery centers are pretty amazing with very good after care.
The anesthesiologist will be very receptive to your concerns.
You mentioned a surgery center that you will use, does this mean you have a surgery date set?
If yes, would like to make a signature that reflects this for you, along with which hip you decide to do first.
Yes, just set a date! But it's not until April due to travel I have planned in January and March. Let's wait for the signature until after I've talked to the scheduler. I don't think I'll back out - but just in case.

Understandable, indeed.. we don't want to cause you any pressure. I hope you don't mind that I giggled a wee bit when I read your reply. Honestly, you will do just fine. Soon, you will be another one of us exclaiming over why you waited so long.

My left hip which I just had done this year was not bone on bone, but I had other labral issues most of which had been repaired on a number of occasions via arthroscopy.
The issue with waiting is that once you start having more serious issues, then it suddenly gets much worst much more quickly, and you will also damage the opposite joint. Once you start being affected by your hips during daily living activities, I think it's where it's time to start looking into it.

If surgery can be quickly booked, then waiting a little longer may not be an issue. For us in Canada wait times can be a couple of years in some cases. My case was too severe, so I was lucky and was in within 4 months of the appt(which is unheard of normally-I was considered an Emergency patient).

I tried telling myself I was not ready for thr yet. Ok, I limped and had thigh and groin pain. But hip replacement seemed so drastic, right?

Cut to walking through DC's Reagan Airport four months later and crashing to my knees. Thankfully, no hip fracture, but the thigh and groin spasms paralyzed my leg. Couldn't walk, get in and put of a chair without crippling pain. Lost my ability to get in and out of a car. Next thing you know, I was bedridden for three months waiting for surgery because I'd had a cortisone shot in the hip before my flight. During those 3 months, my muscles atrophied. I developed a frightening limp. All that hampered the speed of my recovery.

Please. If you're at a place where you're having to reassure yourself that you don't need thr, ask yourself this? Do people with good hips spend time reassuring themselves of that? Once cortisone shots or hyaluronic gels or PT aren't cutting it, you may well need to consider THR seriously. You don't want to be like I was: so terrified and in denial that I ended up entirely disabled preop.

I've never regretted that surgery for one minute. I'm 9 weeks out, and my gait and flexibility is not back to normal yet. But I'll get there. I can drive again, care for my home and animals. I walk. The surgery has been life-affirming. And I'll tell you another thing it's done for me: reminded me if my strength and, ok, courage. Add in the supportive friends on bonesmart... well, ot ain't been all bad. Hoping you'll find the surgery and postop a true solution. Take good care!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
K Bel
Recent bookmarks
Back