Bilateral THR Made it!!

How are you @luvsibes ? Wow six months already!?
Hi @Stellaluna
I'm glad to see the anti-inflammatory and a bit more rest and icing are helping. I imagine that having bilateral surgery is double the challenges of just the one hip being replaced. I would guess the pacing yourself and healing will take longer. I hope you continue to feel better.

I'm doing quite well and am amazed at my new mobility at 6 months. I'm pretty much pain free except when I overdo lifting, bending, or too much sitting or standing at a time. It's so improved from where I was a year ago in terms of pain and freedom to do what I want.

Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope today is a good one as we all scurry about in anticipation
of Christmas. Wishing you a lovely holiday season and a happy, healthy New Year.
@stellaluna

Take the weekend to take it extra easy...
Lots of improvement to come...time is the best healer.
Good mojo coming your way my bilateral pal!:reindeer:

Hi gang. Wow 4 mos already!! Been off the last two days; it's been wonderful! Shopping and lunch w/Mom yesterday; today yoga and the girls nite group getting together for the annual Holiday pot luck.
Feeling pretty good- still on the Mobic (anti-inflammatory); I did email my PCP regarding the Fosamax; I have been seeing her for 30 years and value her judgement. She told me to take it for a short (3mo) course is totally fine, as long as I take it with 2 glasses of water and do not lie down for 30 min after taking it. So I will stay on it as recommended. I have also scheduled a bone density scan in spring as recommended by her; my mom has osteoporosis so I know I could be a candidate. In the meantime, calcium/Vit D supplements and hopefully the walking and other weight bearing exercises will do me well when it comes time for the scan.
My quads are doing ok-I DEFINITELY think it's muscles "waking up" and a little irritated at me..and nothing more. :)

Hi :hi: Happy Friday,
Sounds like you have a fun day planned.
Enjoy the Yoga and Girls night out!
Pace yourself and you should be good.
@stellaluna

My quads were super sensitive for quite a long time.
Is because we ARE active and they stretched those suckers OUT:flabber:

Be kind to your new hips
Hope you have a great weekend!:curtsey:

:reindeersleighWishing you a Merry Christmas
My double hippy pal:reindeer:

My quads were super sensitive for quite a long time.
Is because we ARE active and they stretched those suckers OUT:flabber:

- hey so @Mojo333 -first off, Happy New Year to you and all the Bonesmarties! I am 20 weeks now PO, started ART last Friday. I think it's going to help- it's Active Release Therapy. She (the chiropractor)confirmed my quads were like Beef jerky -not sure about that analysis lol, but said my quads have knots in them -which my PT had also confirmed, and that the blood flow gets restricted, scar tissue etc can lead to pain and soreness. Anyway, she did the ART and I noticed a difference. It seems to be getting a little better. Have to go for a couple more sessions.
Anyway, @Mojo333 you said your quads were sensitive for a long time. How long, do you remember? I am wondering and I'll share why.

So I am a bit sore in the quads today anyhow-what else is new lol - and I was out walking and I had to lightly pick up the pace and kinda jog across the street today to avoid a car. Holy moly my quads!! Ouch! And it felt super super awkward. Probably cuz I havent done anything like that in a loooong time. But I am wondering is this normal at 20 weeks? Could it just be sore muscles still or could it be something more? It ceased when I slowed down of course. But still...:chinstroke:

Hi @stellaluna, I just wanted to let you know that my thigh and bum muscles were sore after my bilateral surgery, too. When you limp for a long time, you are using all the wrong muscles to walk. Many of us have our tailbone sticking way back, and are bent forward with the upper body.

In time the muscles usually get stronger and your gait and posture gets back to normal. My thigh bones were also very tender after the surgery. That was the most sensitive spot. They do so much hammering. I would just give it time.

@Hip Hip Hooray! I think you are right- thnx! There’s always that part of me who slightly “panics” for lack of a better word- and immediately thinks of the worst case scenario. But logic tells me what you said really makes a lot of sense. Still it never hurts to ice - which is what I’m doing now :ice:

Hi @stellaluna
Happy New Year.
I am pretty sure my quads were tender floor the first six months...and after that, if I did an activity I hadn't done in a bit.
I remember balancing on the side of a trailer for about twenty minutes...gripping my feet tightly...and then I was back to assuming the position:ice:
Normal stuff.
Interesting about the ART!
Do let us know how things progress:tada:

Yes, the icing is wonderful and therapeutic. I remember right after surgery being shocked at how sensitive and tender my thighs were. I didn't even feel my hips...there was no pain there at all.

You've had a lot of trauma in that area. All of that drilling and hammering into the bone...it's extreme and deep. The medications and ice do really provide relief, though.

The muscles can rebuild. Mine had shrunk to the size of my boyfriend's arms before surgery. They are now healthy and muscular again. You can do it. It just takes time and patience.

Wow, you are tough, having both done at once! Glad it's working out well for you. I had my right hip done 3 weeks ago and can't imagine doing both at the same time, I count on my good side a lot. I just found this forum and really like it.

Hi @stellaluna, I have had a lot of upper thigh and hip flexor soreness since having my second hip replaced, as I'm standing up straight again and my pelvis is back underneath me again. The pre surgery stance @Hip Hip Hooray! described is so spot on, and although it is so wonderful to be standing upright with great posture again, all the soft tissues structures have to regroup...and I for one didn't realize how contracted they were until post op #2 hip. I have had massage therapy, somatic work and I see my physio for muscle release again tomorrow. Thinking of you and hope you are finding what works to help with all that! Happy New Year to you and your shiny hips. I'm loving mine :yahoo:

Hello there @Alitm ! How are you?? Happy NY. Yes- I’ve just started having active release therapy and it’s helping!! Sounds like it could be similar to what you are having done?

Hi again @stellaluna, I am doing well thanks :). Yes, I my physio does the muscle release manually. I'm not sure what he calls it. I find the gentle somatic movements really great too. I also go to a great registered massage therapist who does the somatics along with the massage. So glad the active release is working for you! It's a journey for sure, and a test of patience at times!!!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom