Bilateral THR Made it!!

:hi: double hippy pal.

It does certainly take a concentrated effort to remember to walk correctly..heel-toe.
Old habits are hard to break.
I was quantified as a Toe Walker..
I guess my modification to take pressure off bad hips:shrug:
If I'm tired and been on my feet alot...I can Still catch myself doing it. Default position I suppose.
Gait training IS helpful...so is more rest sometimes.
Still lots of healing happening as you say.:friends:

I don't know why I am not getting notifications?. Thanks for weighing in with your experiences gang. @Mojo333 - seriously I had a major pity party the other day. But i am better. I pushed too much, tried something new and paid for it. Lesson learned. The PT routine-sigh. It's too much. so I am gonna split it up AND make sure I take rest days between! Darn routine took an hour today. And I am sore later. Not good/too much!! With the help of a fellow hippie who is a PT we devised/split the routine so it's not so exhausting.Well, IDK if exhausting is the right word. but my feeling is it should not be counterproductive!! Walking will continue to take a concerted effort. BUT as far as the little lean to the right. Think I figured it out-tight QL (it's a lower back muscle and a common culprit for many) coupled with habit- of carrying purse on right shoulder, of being right side dominant..hmmm maybe I am noticing it now but perhaps it was always there>? food for thought. Treated myself to a massage-tho she was a little gung ho in areas and holy moly hello muscles!! Just had a nice soak in Epsom salts and I am going to bed early!! patience patience patience I have to constantly remind myself. And I also need to STOP comparing my self to other people's recoveries. This is my journey no one else's!

Wise hippy woman.

Well, IDK if exhausting is the right word. but my feeling is it should not be counterproductive!!

And I also need to STOP comparing my self to other people's recoveries. This is
Very wise,indeed, Grasshopper.:)
The answers you are seeking are within you.:yes:
PT should Not be counterproductive! This is the perfect word to use...of no benefit!
And your unique body with its unique circumstances prior to BTHR and unique healing since, are Your Experience. So not helpful to compare..not at all.
I am sorry you are still struggling but healing and retraining or bodies can take up to a year. Or more.
Keep the faith...friend!:friends:

Hi All. Happy Thanksgiving!! Well I'm in week 14; still having some challenges, still stupidly flirting with the ODIC :groan: . Gotta tweak what I am doing again. I graduated PT last week ; she wanted me doing the exercises 3x a week but honestly? I think it's too much, esp where I am doing yoga a couple days a week and cycling twice a week. Just too much, and not enough rest days. So I told my self just to do the exercises twice a week. With the yoga and the "cardio" it's plenty!!! I am STILL learning!! OH plus being back to work full time.

My biggest challenge STILL is walking with proper form. My SIL commented today "you are limping!" She has not seen me at all since pre surgery. Of course this was after being on my feet for a couple hours prepping Thanksgiving dinner -she commented. My immediate reaction is to panic and get my self all upset. But I need to remind my self -as usual-that 14 weeks is still early. But as far as the walking , sore legs and back make walking challenging. And I am talking just walking around the house. As far as outside, I have gone back to using my walking poles. But I cant even get out much and walk, due to the cold and daylight savings time. Ugh. But I find myself getting very frustrated with my walking form and lack of progress. I still feel like I am leaning or shifting to the right side when I walk and cant seem to shake that. ugh. :chinstroke:

Did anyone here find the walking-getting "good " form back-took a while? Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? If I could get better with my form I know I'd be alot happier with my recovery.
Responding late here...but when I am well rested I walk easy and evenly and with facility. (Even PT couldn’t tell the difference!). Now three days of cooking for t-giving, on my feet for hours, even with breaks, not walking as well. Rest equals good form? Time equals good form?

Good Morning :wave:
I found I did the same (limped) if I was tired, or on my feet for an extended period of time.
If you haven't given it a devoted try....please try heel-toe walking. My PT taught me to do it to lose a subtle limp at about 3-4 weeks post op. It does work but you have to walk around and practice it and you have to continually remind yourself while walking until it becomes habit. I STILL (at 17 months post op) need to remind myself on occasion. The sloppy gait we established as our hips deteriorated is difficult to lose. We let our bodies do "whatever" in an effort to stave off pain and we're not used to walking properly. Give it a good try and see if you notice a difference. Hope today is a good one!
@stellaluna

Yes I agree- it's so easy to fall on bad old habits esp when tired. I went for a leisurley walk today. About 2 miles. Took the poles with me. Didnt use much, just when I felt I needed them. It took me about 45/50 min to walk the distance so for sure I was taking my time. practice heel toe for sure @Layla - you know what is eluding me is this "shift" to the right I do when I walk. Shows up no matter how much I focus on form. Now am wondering if it's just something i have had all this time; I am right handed/right side dominant; carry purse right shoulder etc. That may never go away. But I was so happy that at the end of my walk-no pain at all! Just tired buns lol. They were doing their job!!

:walking: Yay!:yes!:
Now don't be overdoing it.:no-fin:

Hope today is a great day!:loveshwr:

@stellaluna RE: limping .... you hopefully have already done this, and if so I apologize for being redundant - but if you did not ...... are you wearing NEW shoes since your surgery? Either brand new ones or ones that have very recently had new soles put on? If you are wearing old shoes that you wore a lot before your BTHR they could be a big part of the limping problem. The old worn down limping pattern of old shoes can keep that kind of gait going ... and what your really need is new flat soles to encourage a healthy new gait.

Hopefully you will very soon get the limping problem sorted out and be striding about with aplomb! :walking:

that is a great point @djklaugh ! I have shoes that are pretty decent but hmm I think I will go shopping this weekend for new ones!
so a general question-anyone else notice during their recovery, walking and the lower back? It gets sore and then that's when I notice I start compensating. I walked Sunday and by the end I could feel it . Does this improve with time? Is it due to muscles learning to refire properly?

Before my surgery, my hip pain was misdiagnosed for a year as I complained of back pain and sciatica.
My lower back did bother me and still does from time to time as my job is labor intensive.
Jo suggested I see a chiropractor and I admit I haven't followed up.
I wish my area had someone who fit the description of osteopath...as the right chiro seems to be a guessing game to me...nobody's going to mess up my new hips!
I assume that just the adjustment of muscles with my "realignment" would cause aches and I use a heating pad when it bothers me.
Remembering to keep my shoulders back, walking heel/toe and safely strengthening core muscles is an ongoing project.
Those bad hips can cause so many problems that can take a bit to resolve.

@Mojo333 agree on all the above!! I need to give it more time. I do love my chiro. I've been seeing him now a couple years. He is very familiar with my case so I had no hesitancy about going back to him. I do understand what you mean tho as far as a fear of messing up the hips!
I am continuing to research probable causes of back pain. Something I may have stumbled upon - weak glutes can contribute to low back pain. In yoga we call it "yoga butt" !! LOL. Overstretched hamstrings and weak glutes. Duh I cannot believe I didnt think of this before! And I think my right side, which is where I feel it in my back- that side SEEMS to be weaker in the glutes? Surprisingly so as I am right side dominant-then again that doesnt mean it's necessarily the stronger side!! Years of carrying bags on the right side, etc etc. that's my tight side;doesnt necessarily mean it's my stronger side, I guess. Seriously figuring out this stuff is a process!! LOL. In the meantime, work my bridge exercises and anythnig that targets the glutes! And core of course too. It's all connected!!

Once again...working on things...not overworking, okay?
Still healing, so slow you go.

We do get there.:tada:

@Mojo333 yes! Not doing anything today just working. That’s enough - and looking forward to it .

Oh good.:)
I hope your day is sweet!:flwrysmile:

Hey gang. So I am off today and tomorrow. Spent today decorating the inside of my house. I will just say that physically it's more than enough!! Feet up icing enjoying a beverage.
I talked to my Drs office today regarding the quad discomfort/fatigue and lower back fatigue I am having. Interesting, the nurse I spoke to said it's not unusual at all to have discomfort at the 3 mo mark. She said, in her experience, patients post op experience discomfort at the 3 week mark, and the 3 mo mark. I am actually closer to 4 mos But this has been going on for a couple weeks. She said it's from the increase in activity as one begins to resume activities. This makes sense! I shared with her my concerns about the PT routine and the need to take a break from it. I told her the routine takes an hour; when I was a personal trainer prescribing programs for my clients, lower body would NEVER take that long. Too much of a good thing you know? She agreed. This type A gal is taking a few more days off from the pt exercises...figure I wont "fall apart" :old:. Then resume a modifed routine SLOWLY.
I think they (my Drs office) get a kick out of this crazy lady.:dancy:

Good to read you received reassurance from your OS's office.
Your modifications to PT sound reasonable. Take it slow :yes:

Hope you have a relaxing evening and enjoy your holiday decor.
Watching tv by the light of our tree is one of my favorite things this time of year.
Enjoy!
@stellaluna

Sounds like a very sensible plan.
Yay for some time off!!
Have a great weekend too.
:tada:

Hey gang. so here it is week 16. Wow.
I took a week off, laid low. Still having quad discomfort. It starts about 30/45 min after waking up, pain right down front of thighs only when walking. Nothing when sitting or standing still. Advil seems to help. Taking time off from PT did not seem to make a difference, tho this morning, when I did my exercises I cut the routine in half. It was just too much before.
I called my Dr office and made an appt for thursday of this week. Just to make sure everything is ok.
I hope it's still just angry muscles. There is a part of me that is fearing something is wrong w/the stems. But I have no idea ; trying to stay positive.
I am at work now, will plan on icing tonite when I get home. I'll let you know how Thus goes!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
GordieO
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom