Bilateral THR Made it!!

Hey gang. So Monday it’ll be my 6 week “hipaversary”. I am probably being unrealistic here but honestly at this point thought I’d be walking more than I am. Granted I walked too much on Thursday and that exposed me to the ODIC which is not where I wanted to go! My PT told me yesterday I’m doing really well but idk.
Anyways I’ve shortened the distance - trying about a mile at a time twice a day. (Thursday I did almost 3- too much!?)
What’s really getting to me Is the quad (thigh) pain and like, cramping In the thighs I am getting toward the end of the walks. It’s really got me stumped. Now granted there are inclines (nothing steep) in my neighborhood that I can’t avoid but what is up with these thigh cramps? Granted I still have tenderness at the tops of the thighs/ is it really still surgical trauma? Weak muscles that were just literally beat up during the procedure?

Feeling frustrated- I just want to be able to walk! I’ve missed it so much ! I’m icing my quads and doing gentle massage. Anything else ?

I have my follow up next Thursday and will be asking about this. In all honesty no way in heck do I feel even close to being ready to go back to work! I’m def gonna need a couple more weeks.

Thanx for letting me vent guys :sigh::chinstroke:

Anyways I’ve shortened the distance - trying about a mile at a time twice a day. (Thursday I did almost 3- too much!?)

Um ...yeah!
Trying to hurry this recovery is just Not Going To Happen.
You had two hips replaced, yes, I get it...is so much better than Bad Hips..but it is going to take time before you get "back to it"
I know you know this.
But you are saying...but I am going to do this before the other folk who aren't as fit/smart/whatever as e.
It gets good...but that doesn't mean it's well!
Please just exercise that patience muscle ...it IS worth it in thelong run.
Healing hugs!!q

Yes @Mojo333 hard way to learn a lesson! I need to be patient- it’s never been my thing. I’m trying tho!

Happy Thursday all! Well I go for my 6 week check up today. I have a list of questions for the PA that I will be seeing, things like when can I take a bath!; massage the scars, yoga poses to avoid (got the book to show her too), and a few other things.
Yesterday I walked 2 miles. Huge achievment. Felt pretty good! A little quad fatigue toward the end but I think the PT exercises are helping me build strength.
Speaking of PT- ugh my insurance benefits reset and pretty much to make a long story short , I cant afford to go more than once a week. When I ran this by my hip group on FB (facebook) the administrator of the group, who is actually a PT, said, I really dont even need to go more than once a week! Since I know what I am doing, the exercises they have given me, I was doing preo-p, I feel very comfortable doing them, and most importantly I have been doing them on my own. And I have all the props at home (therabands, step,etc) Which I guess is the biggest thing. But I've always done something, you know? So I am going to just do that I guess. I think I was more annoyed cuz my insurance plan is not the greatest. But at least I have insurance, so that's that. I'll stop complaining lol. Anyway I'll let you know how the visit goes. I cant believe how fast the time's gone by. I have REALLY enjoyed being home ... OH and I am also requesting a dr's note recommending a phased return to work AND a sit to stand converter for my desk to make my job easier. Why not,right?

Have a great day all!

Glad to hear you are doing so well!
Do still take time to chill...deep healing still happening!
Another Great Double Hippy!:chuckmarch:
Onward....:egypdance:

Good luck today, let us know how it goes.
Glad to hear you'll be able to do a Phased Return to Work.
I'll bet you'll appreciate the sit / stand desk once you're back.
Hope you have a wonderful day!
@stellaluna

All good! cleared for activity -spinning, yoga etc- tho I dont plan on just jumping into my old routine! I plan on easing back in. :yes: I was told "we will see you in a year". Got the dr's note stating a phased return to work AND a recommendation , medically necessary, for a sit to stand desk! Yahoo! Super glad I went in with the book of poses, the PA I saw does yoga so she was able to advise me as to what was possible now, and to what would be possible, down the road.

Still dealing with tiring but know it's part of the healing, Thankful that I got "excused" from work till 10/22!!

Great news @stellaluna! The extra weeks before starting work, the phased return to work and the sit to stand desk will really help your long term recovery. Keep us posted as you phase into more exercise. All tips appreciated!

I have my left hip scheduled for November 8th...so happy to have the date, get 'er done and get on with the healing once and for all! Life awaits!

Last edited:
Great news @stellaluna! The extra weeks before starting work, the phased return to work and the sit to stand desk will really help your long term recovery. Keep us posted as you phase into more exercise. All tips appreciated!

I have my left hip scheduled for November 8th...so happy to have the date, get 'er done and get on with the healing once and for all! Life awaits!
You got a date @Alitm! Just saw that here, congratulations!! Nov 8 isn't that far away. Happy for you!
Sorry to derail your thread @stellaluna! Healing wishes for you as well!

Please don't jump into too much.:beg:
That fatigue is due to all available energy being diverted for the important job of deep healing TWO injured legs from BTHR.
One more month and you will be back to work...and you have done SO well.
No overdoing now! Make sure you listen to your body as I know you shall.
I learned my activity limits the hard way a few times and it is discouraging when you have to come back from the ODIC.:nah:
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.
Hope you have a great weekend, my bilateral pal.:friends:

Great OS visit, good news! I'm happy you hear you have until 10/22 to continue recovering.
There is an awful lot of healing to happen still. Take it slow.
Warm wishes for a great weekend!
@stellaluna

Hi @stellaluna ...just wanted to say Hi :wave: and Happy 6th week Anniversary! :martini: Glad to hear that you were cleared to return to some of the activities you enjoy. That must be a great feeling. It's nice that you will be able to phase back into work. It seems that so people talk about not realizing that they had done too much, until their hips tell them to back off. I'm sure that after not working for such an extended period, it wouldn't be surprising for it to be totally exhausting in the beginning. I'm happy to hear that you are returning to your "old self"....or "new self".... or "new self" doing what the "old self" had difficulty doing. :heehee:

OMG Stella congratulations! I am truly in awe. My left THR was 10 days after your BTHR. And for the first 4 weeks I was utterly dependent on my non operative “good” leg. In fact, that hip is now in pain when it never had been before. Please share with us one day how you did it with two operative legs! My wife is too tiny to carry me...I absolutely don’t know how you did it but we are sending love and hugs and positive healing thoughts!

Just checking in today with my Bsmart friends. I'm glad to hear you are doing well as you approach your 2 month mark. This is the time when it's so easy to overdo. (See @Mojo- above: "Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should do it!") I haven't had too many ODIC times over my 4 months but that mantra is a great reminder to be gentle and mindful of our activities. Sending you healing energy for continued recovery!

2 months today! doing ok- NOT looking forward to returning to work....I am really enjoying being home, preparing meals, being with my two cats-I think they will be lonely when I go back to work. It's nice too being able to give hubby a break from the everyday stuff, cooking, laundry etc.

I taught-and took-my first yoga classes this weekend. The nice thing about the way I was trained, I am off the mat , not doing the class with the students. Felt like I Never left. I took my first studio class since May . was mindful, moved slowly- it felt GREAT.

Hi @stellaluna
Wow! Time sure flies. You're doing well.
Hope it only gets better and better.
A great week to you!

Well, you guys would be proud of me. I had an offer to go to an event 10/19, outdoors at Old Sturbridge Village. Called the "Sleepy Hollow Experience", I had org opted out cuz I did not know how I'd be feeling in terms of recovery. Someone backed out and my friend texted me she had an extra ticket. I told her I'd let her know. Checked the event out online...it's a 1.5 hour event standing and walking. I was like , ummm, as much as Id LOVE to do this, I just dont think it's in my best interest. I am not even back to work yet! ( following Monday going part time).

The thing is, MAYBE I could do it, and be ok,,,but what if I wasnt ? Then it would not be so much fun, and it would prbly set me back. Oh well, maybe next year! Plus am getting the flu shot the day before, and who knows how I may feel?

I think I made the right decision!

:wave:good that you are looking out for Long Term recovery with no chronic issues by not overdoing things now.
You are a Bilateral Babe and are doing just beautifully.
Yay for looking after yourself!:yay:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
tibiaplateauaft
Recent bookmarks
Back