Bilateral THR Made it!!

It's funny, here I am thinking it's my left side, but in reality it all goes back to my right (dominant) side being tighter!! It's like guy wires on a tree....

Don't be bummed about the crutches. You want to get this right.
I'm glad to hear her massage helped you. It's wonderful to get answers and clear direction as opposed
to wondering and coming up with our own ideas.
I hope you have a great day!
@stellaluna

@stellaluna So great that you have a good PT! I understand about that pelvis thing. The riding posture is with neutral spine, and the OA takes that and does what it wants with it! Now that you have your new hips, it will take a bit of time to get the muscles and tendons rearranged, and of course that is after the post op healing is done too. From what I hear, the being back on a "walking device" is a good thing while all of the above is happening, and you are perfecting your gait again and re-aligning your body accordingly. So glad it isn't anything more serious. You must be relieved! :dancy:
:flwrysmile:

@stellaluna would you like to show me where these pains are using this chart?

aa hip-references-horz.jpg

After that, I'd really like to offer you some structured advice but in order to do that, I also need to ask you some questions. Are you willing for me to do that?

Hi @Josephine ! Hard to pinpoint exactly on the chart. I'd say it's on the lateral aspect of outer hip and thigh, behind the greater trochanter. Area of w/x I guess. My home PT did an assessment yesterday. found my pelvis was rotated. The ASIS on the left was higher than the right (a regularly occurring problem pre surgery) PLUS my SI was "stuck" (has happened before pre-surgery) and she said that this all caused the good ole piriformis to get irritated. She did some manipulation and massage. It seems better but holy soreness Batman. Plus my right psoas is so darn tight!

She gave me some exercises to do to keep the SI joint more mobile. I think part of it is trying to break my old waddling habits. I am not using the cane for walking distance - I really feel it was not helping. Back to to the point; gait walking with crutches until my hiking poles come in from Amazon. AND really being mindful of my gait when walking.

Would love to hear your thoughts so please ask away!

I'd say it's on the lateral aspect of outer hip and thigh, behind the greater trochanter
Stella, this is exactly why I need you to give me the references!
Area of w/x I guess.
And this is not they! What you've given me is just the reference for the row. I also need the reference for the column so the combines pair show me ONE square which is where your pain is! And if you don't know where it is, who do you expect me to find it!
What's this - a new one on me!

@Josephine . My apologies ASIS - anterior superior iliac spine. SI is sacroiliac joint.
Location wise on the chart I tried to visualize as best I could . W/X but on the lateral side so I guess from the chart it would be R18 more posterior than anterior. So to summarize ; R18 area between W and X. If I had to really drill down in the area I think it would be more r18 / w.

It’s really feeling a lot better. Just some sensation going up inclines out walking. I think using the cane made it worse. Back to the crutches for outdoor walking; hiking poles cane in today.

stellaluna Hi there, been reading your post-op journey. I'm glad to see that things are improving for you. To me, it seems that you are doing so much, in a short time ! It is only a month since your surgery! It probably feels much slower when it's your own body and we tend to be much harder on ourselves. Are you still glad that you had both done at one time? Any suggestions?

Only ONE month ...it is a dance...ebb and flow.
You will get there...all temporary!
Healing hugs coming your way!:friends:

Last edited:
Thanks @Mojo333 - yes it is a dance!
@Lea61 i would not have done it any other way. Now that I know and have been thru it. The first couple weeks very challenging. But I feel like I turned a corner this week *knocks wood*. But as @Mojo333 - a fellow bilateral said-it’s a dance- a tango of sorts.

Suggestions? Well I would say

If you can strengthen your core and upper body pre surgery it will help you post op (if you aren’t doing so already) doesn’t have to be anything crazy or extreme either; have a solid support system in place for at least the first two weeks. Ice is your best friend , elevate; take pain meds as tolerated but stay ahead of it (dthe discomfort); walk as indicated to keep blood moving and help with swelling and do your pt exercises as tolerated. Most of all be patient with yourself . And do not feel bad about asking others for help! :flwrysmile:

Happy One Month Anniversary!
Hope you have a good day and a lovely weekend. :flwrysmile:
@stellaluna

stellaluna Thank you for your great advice. I had just mentioned to my husband about looking into working on my upper body strength and then that was one of your suggestions! It makes sense since post-surgery, we will be depending on muscles that we may not routinely use.
And....Happy One Month Anniversary ! :loveshwr:

It was very helpful for me.
Would sit and watch TV curling soup cans:wink:

Last edited:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks