Bilateral THR Made it!!

:froggies:Do the frog. Just don't hurt yourself.
Shave your legs....just don't cut yourself :bignono:
Words of wisdom for the day :heehee:
@stellaluna

Glad you got the go ahead.:)
Interesting what aspirations each individual has.
I wanted to walk fully upright with no pain...dress myself, get back to work and tie my own shoes.
I wanted to get back to my active life ...being some help with duties at the food bank, fish offshore, walk my dog, and ride my atv.
I'm in awe of yoga enthusiasts...but frog never occurred to me.:heehee:
Onward!:yay:

Congrats on leg-shaving!

It's interesting to note the differences in posterior vs. anterior ops. I have been able to do frog for some time. I am seeing Dr. Klapper next week for 3 month post-op and am certain the restrictions will be removed. I have a long list of questions for him from travel/metal detector to functional flexibly questions. I so want to sit on the floor in lotus and pet my dog, get on the mat, etc. I can get down but the op leg is unable to rotate down to the floor...just where I was when I left the yoga studio sessions. I can rotate it in standing tree post just fine but not when sitting in a chair or floor. I gently work toward it each day and truly hope it will happen! I haven't done a twist pose in over a year as it was contraindicated early on pre-op.

I was asked by my university kineseology dept. to teach a second chair yoga class for Gold Star military moms/spouses. I accepted it and am looking forward to this.

Keep us posted on your good progress!

@luvsibes, I hope you reach that goal!

I took dance class for many years and used to have a 180 degree spread, no more of that. However, I would like to be able to truly work out again and do some good stretches. I've only just begun swimming. I'd like to be able to get up off the floor without holding onto something. Is that too optimistic??

Ok it’s me again! Ugh I guess I am starting to understand the rollercoaster ride of recovery! Low energy today. Managed to get one of my walks in early morning before it got too crazy hot out; but late morning fatigue hit; I ended up bing watching Dark Shadows (tv gothic soap opera popular in 60’s/70’s; I recall racing home from school to watch it) . Tried to nap- unsuccessful ugh. Just closed my eyes for an hour but no sleep came. Frustrating. Tell me this is “normal”! I am not going stir crazy yet tho lol. I’m really relishing my time off from work to be completely honest. This won’t happen again till I retire!
On a good note I am managing stairs now on my own- slowly and holding the railing, and pretty much off the cane in the house. Bringing it with me for outside walks still tho.

Hahaha! Barnabas Collins, I remember that. I used to hurry home from school also.
It was on at 3:00 and I got out at 3:00 and raced the few blocks home to watch that campy show.

You are suffering from Energy Drain. It happens.
When we're in healing mode after major surgery our energy will be used for healing first, not leaving a great reserve for all the other activity of daily life. It is completely normal to feel tired for quite some time. How long....most likely relates to your body's rate of healing. Since our body does it's best healing while we're asleep, making our best effort to get adequate sleep and rest is beneficial.
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/energy-drain-for-thrs.12415/

Hope you have a great Friday!
@stellaluna

thanks for that article @Layla ! Helpful to understand what 's going on in my body! And YES Barnabas Collins- he really was a bad dude wasnt he?!

I remember this..I was little...scared me!
Hope your weekend is restorative and happy!

Yes, B.C.was a weirdo with his fangs, lol.
I remember as a young girl thinking his love interest Angelique was so pretty, remember her?
And that odd Dr Julia Hoffman. Brings back memories....funny!
Where are you watching this? I'd like some giggles next time I'm bored.

Enough nonsense. Hope those two new hips are adjusting to their new home.
Wishing you a great weekend as you continue healing.
@stellaluna

:wave: Thanks for journaling all the of the ups and downs and all arounds with recovery @stellaluna. So helpful! Also really appreciate the yoga info. I have ordered the book that @luvsibes recommended and you have ordered. I am going to check out the chair site as well. I have an excellent yoga practitioner who has a variety of classes that I will get back to eventually! I had to stop in July as there were so many things I could not do. I was also going to a Pilates class for core work, which I also had to stop, as there were many things I could no longer participate in. Quite demoralizing really, but I do what works at home. Still have the horses to care for, so can't let the body cop out completely. I digress....I find watching your journey and the exchange of notes with @luvsibes so helpful. Thank you for the inspiration! My goal of course is to get back to riding...but I have always cross trained to some extent or another.
I am sorry that you had that energy drain, but you are great at listening to your body and checking in as to what is "normal" etc., that I'm sure you will take the time needed to rest. The feedback from your Dr. sounds great....so thrilling to be able to shave I'm sure! Don't go back to work too soon. Isn't that article from Josephine so helpful? We forget about all the other "stuff" like getting ready for work, getting there, getting home etc. that are energy zappers.
Wishing you continued positive healing!
:flwrysmile:
P.S. Gave my sister the app you gave me. She is having an MRI on Monday and is more claustrophobic than I! We'll see how she does!
I'm doing the beginner course on the app. Pretty funny as I keep falling asleep on day 5. I'm so suggestible it appears! It is really amazing!

@stellaluna

Last edited:
Thanks, I'll check it out :wink:
Lots of laughs I'm sure.
I hope you have a great weekend!
@stellaluna

Good Morning @stellaluna - and my friends @layla @Alitm - and @Mojo - from this thread! I'm glad my yoga book recommendation and www.getfitwhereyousit.org - recommendations have been helpful! I'm 3 months today and will post on my thread my conversation with my OS yesterday on the phone to prepare for my appt. next week.

FYI @stellaluna - I didn't get a full night of sleep without throwing pillows around, moving to the living room chairs, sitting up for a few hours, etc. until just a couple of weeks ago. It was when I was allowed to sleep on my op side again that all improved. I have spent a year sleeping on my back and "good" side which was not ever comfortable for me. I'm still taking 1/2 a tramadol before bed and using the alternative natural and unmentionable here product before bed. The energy drain is much better at this point but still can occur. Yesterday I took a walk and then went to the mall. Just covering Macy's and a short walk to another store and back to the car was enough for the day. I did not do an evening walk and pulled out the ice packs in the eve just to be sure of no extra pain. Hang in there - it does improve a lot after the first couple of months!

Have a lovely weekend everyone!

Well 28 days post op. Doing ok for the most part except that nagging issue on the left side. I don’t know if it’s muscle or tendon. Ugh. Feels like a knot rubbing over something (bone? no idea) when walking. To be specific when that hip is in extension (leg behind). It makes my walks uncomfortable and it’s discouraging. I know I had dark bruising in this area post surgery. Could it be internal swelling ?? Ice doesn’t seem to make a difference either . Any ideas? This is becoming like a thorn in my side.. ugh.

@Layla @Mojo333 @Josephine ??

I'm sorry you're struggling with discomfort @stellaluna
Not sure what it could be, I'm sure Josephine may have an idea.
Looking forward to her response right along with you.
Wishing you comfort :console2:

Shall defer to Josephine...but will say that one month out there were all sorts of issues still nagging for me. Are you still using walking aids? How long is your stride...I know I was still baby stepping to a large extent..well..not exactly baby stepping but not long strides.
Does it help to shorten your stride?
All of my different issues eventually resolved, some at weeks, some at months.
Keep it slow...hope your week is sweet!

Last edited:
I had one leg that was "behind" the other in recovery.
Maybe it doesn't like the frog?
Please try not to do any over stretching at one month out from bilateral...
All those muscles and ligaments were stretched enough during surgery...
You can gain back whatever you are worried you might after you have gotten some time behind you.
I worry for you.
Healing hugs

K so the scoop PT just left. She is amazing and I'll miss her. My pelvis was rotated; my SI was "stuck"-which has been a past frequent issue- and the rotated pelvis was pulling on the opp side posterior muscles. My right side /psoas was so tight. She did massage, Holy tightness Batman- she got the SI mobile again and I am feeling better! she also told me to get back onto the crutches and do my 2 pointed gait walk /alternate crutch walking, when walking distance. She also said I should be doing pelvic rocks to help this improve. I am honestly a little disappointed that I am going back to crutches but she reminded me it's not a "setback" but rather when wallking distance it's about avoiding bad gait form. LOL. Sitting here icing as recommended by her.
It's amazing how a couple years of compensation just throws things off!!!

@Mojo333 just saw your responses. yep-back to the crutches for 2 point gait walking! I got alot of "unlearning" to do !

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom