Bilateral THR Made it!!

@luvsibes - I had anterolateral approach no movement restrictions. Now that being said I don’t see it as a green light to assume all movements are ok. I am avoiding any extremes right now- in flexion, extension and twisting . All practiced with in very safe ranges of motion always paying attention and being mindful. My dr said I can get back to my regular practice st the 6 week mark but again I do not expect to just jump in. I am heavy on arm balances and inversion such as forearm balance and handstand. I’ll be heading back to the wall for these when ready. Same with arm balances. Start with the basics like crow and make my way mindfully from there. As s teacher I only think this whole experience serves to make me a better teacher to my students .
On another note today I explored with some additional posture - tree with both feet grounded- one foot was in kickstand with slight external rotation of hip; I got on the bed- GREAT PROP- for all 4s cat and cow- felt awesome and a very modified spinal extension- kept leg grounded instead of lifting(not cleared for that yet) - lifted opp arm- hellooo core! Then modified push-up on knees- felt ok so tried like 4- from there a slow lower to the belly.to gentle low cobra, modified locust and Sphinx pose . Felt really awesome in back body.

I'm impressed at what you are doing at only a couple of weeks out. I'm posterior and still not cleared to bend over 90 degrees, cross mid-line, or rotate inward. Those will be lifted I'm sure in a couple of weeks at my OS appt. I need to work on my upper body strength more now that the shoulder pain from awkward pre-op sleeping patterns has subsided some!

I've practiced yoga for 40 years and have watched my practice change as I age and joints are challenged with arthritis. There's a lot of research in the yoga community about hyper-mobility/flexibility of joints and the incidence of yogis having hip surgery. I believe I've been one of those who pushed the hip openers too far, partly because I could and because my career was a bit sedentary at the end. It began with not being able to get the op leg on the ground in lotus, something very odd for me. I engaged props with bolsters under the knee to support it. Things just kept getting worse until getting up and down was a painful and clumsy experience. I found myself judging my body and blaming age and "I used to..." became a common phrase. I left the studio practice and just adapted at home until I found a real yoga on a chair (not chair exercise as at many clubs and senior centers, but yoga!) Lakshmi Voelker (http://getfitwhereyousit.com) has been a pioneer in accessible yoga and on a chair training Mayo Clinic staff and around the world. There's a movement toward "yoga for every body" that you are likely aware of. Taking the certification and beginning to adapt and teach this has been wonderful for me as I was a geriatric and disability social worker. I love seeing my students challenged with ortho and neuro issues increase flexibility, balance, and strength and reduce stress!

I'm reading a book that might be of interest to you: Hip-Healthy Asana: the yoga practititioner's guide to protecting the hips and avoiding SI joint pain by Charlotte Bell. You can find it on Amazon, etc. She's a yoga teacher who's had bilateral hip surgery and wrote this with her PT and OS. It's very helpful in discussing hyper-flexibility, precautions, and tips for THR yogis and those with hip challenges.

I'm inspired by your journey and will follow it. I agree that this experience makes us more humble and aware of the need to make yoga accessible for all. You may be interested in this at http://www.accessibleyoga.org

Yea! Let me know what you think of it as an experienced yoga teacher. I'd like your thoughts on it!

I went back to work too early, even though it was a phased return..
Problem is...once you are back...you're back.
I made it but was absolutely worn out every evening.
The energy drain and mental stress was not optimal for recovery.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!
That goes for lots of things!

Last edited:
Morning gang! day 21-time flies!! Hey a question. I will def run this by PT tomorrow when she comes but wondered if anyone else has experienced this....I am doing my exercises; one of them is standing hip extension, where you extend the leg back behind you. Noticing left side-the worst of the two sides that was done (it was really shot!) - I am feeling a sensation of like muscle or tendon moving over bone. I googled snapping hip syndrome - I dont think that's it? It does not hurt it's just weird I only notice on this particular side. I will tell you pre op that side was definitely compromised. Continuing to ice after exercises and strolls. Happy Labor Day all! :loll:

LOVING it! should be a part of every yoga teacher training!! That is how I got into trouble-too many hip openers stressed in class!!!
I actually shared it w/my Yoga Teachers Facebook group. I think it could be VERY helpful to all teachers, esp w/THR clients in their classes.

Yes. I believe my focus on hip openers was too extreme for me. The more challenged my hip became due to the deterioration, the more I gravitated toward them! I love that the yoga community is acknowledging that more isn't the goal of practice and that all bodies are not constructed the same so we can't all safely do the "ideal" of an asana. I also think my determination to master the temple squat/malasana which comes so naturally to some and I eventually mastered (with pain I ignored) didn't help the hip that was losing cartilage, growing spurs and cysts. Charlotte Bell doesn't have much concern for it except for knee pts. but I will likely not force myself into that pose again!

Hello! Day 21 of recovery. Doing ok. Still on the cane for the most part-able to walk around the house a lil without it- but don’t feel ready to go prop free yet. All in good time. Alternate crutch walking outside. Did 1/2 mile today at a leisurely (of course) pace. It’s super hot in NE here today so now sitting and relaxing getting ready to read a book. Do I get antsy ? Not quite yet! I am still tiring easily and napping twice a day. How are my fellow August recovery buddies??

@luvsibes - Temple squat? Is that also known as goddess pose/squat?

Happy you are doing well I'm on day 25 and feeling so much better than I was. I still have to use two crutches for several more weeks as I had a complication during surgery.but I've come to terms with that now. I had hired a wheelchair to help me get out and about but that's going back tomorrow as I can go further now on my crutches. Needing painkillers and ice less now and can sit a lot more comfortably now on my posterior scar, so all in all I'm feeling good.

@Steg - yes I feel like week 3 was a turning point. Walking around the house mostly without the cane, though I confess I still like to have her nearby.. still using my props for outdoors. Don't feel ready to abandon yet!

PT gave me a couple more exercises to do and stretches, one of them is Frog-- you lay on your back, soles of feet together and knees apart. (I have no movement restrictions per my surgeon BUT still I am careful) I have yoga blocks under my thighs for support. Pre-surgery I could not do this stretch comfortably. It's amazing to see the range of motion and best of all no pain!

She also gave me the green light on a couple more yoga poses. Warrior 2, shallow of course, which is in fact helping to open up my hip flexor on the back leg. I am so very mindful doing it. And I do not abuse it. Modified Warrior 1 narrow short stance.

Also finally able to get on the floor on all 4's and do some cat and cow and down dog stretching, plank pose. No child's pose yet, no twisting poses, too early! My physical therapist does yoga so she is very familiar. Using the blocks as props under my hands feels appropriate at this point.

I am fully cleared for yoga at 6 weeks according to my surgeon and I fully plan on going into that appointment wiyh the book of poses, because honestly I don't know if he's aware of what I do and I don't want to do anything I am not supposed to do! I want to ask about a stretch for outer hips but it could be too soon. Right now am focused on strength and mobility. Flexibility will come in time.

I do have something going on on the left side. When I do a hip extension there is what I think is a muscle that I can feel moving. It's weird so I will try to describe as best I can. It's not snapping hip syndrome but if I put my hand on the outer thigh, I believe it's gluteus medius. I feel it moving under my hand like it's passing over a bone or something. There is no noise at all. It's so weird!

My PT was a little stumped by it but thought it was due to surgical post op swelling. The thing is I don't look swollen anymore there? Is it possible to have internal swelling still?

@Mojo333 @Layla @Josephine - any ideas?

This is the muscle area that gets a little sore sometimes by the end of the night. This side was the one that was completely shot prior to surgery and he confirmed it was pretty bad when he got in there to do the replacement.

Other than that I am feeling good. I am being a good girl ;) minding my exercises, walking, only got out once yesterday and most importantly, resting and ICING-as I am doing now sitting at the computer ;)

Happy Wednesday!
Let's let Josephine answer your question. She's best qualified to do so. I think it wise you're bringing your
book of poses to your OS at six weeks, before you dive in.
I hope you're having a good week!
@stellaluna

Not sure what the exact issue would be...will defer to Josephine.
Good for your "progress" but would be less than honest of I didn't say I feel like some of these gentle poses are not helpful as you are still way too early out from double hip replacement.
My opinion.
PT gave me a couple more exercises to do and stretches, one of them is Frog-- you lay on your back, soles of feet together and knees apart.

This doesn't sound like something I would do either but don't know extensive the move is.

It never hurts until we stop
And
Just because we can, doesn't mean we should.
You can get back whatever you think you are losing...AFTER more time to heal.
Please do take it easy!
I am the resident worry wart I suppose but time and patience is required in spades at this point.
Hope your day is sweet.

Thanks ladies.

@Mojo333 I have emailed my surgeon too about both issues (muscle or tendon or whatever it is and the stretch). Hopefully I will get a response! I also asked him when I could shave my legs!

I do agree, err on the side of caution. I have been thinking about that warrior 2 and am leaning towards staying away from it. I think it's enough to just work on turning the foot slowly out and in while in a standing position, legs about 2/3 feet apart. Baby steps....

@luvsibes - Temple squat? Is that also known as goddess pose/squat?

I will defer to you on the sanskrit names and your background as a registered yoga teacher! I think Goddess is more upright and Malasana (also known as Garland pose?) is a complete sitting from Goddess. It's like my Asian friends sit to garden. It comes naturally to them. I forced it and mastered it at a price I believe! My body resisted and I should have listened! https://www.yogajournal.com/practice/learn-malasana

@stellaluna - I only had one hip done and am 3 months tomorrow. I know 3 weeks was a turning point for me and that's when I started to get cocky and want to do more! You know to pace yourself but with two hips I'm impressed at what you are doing! I recall that you were anterior and the restrictions, mobility challenges, etc. are pretty different that posterior (mine).

I was recruited by my university to teach a second chair yoga for a research project with military families at a gold Star living facility. I've been asked before and declined pre-op but have tentatively accepted pending post-op next week. I will do them on the same day so am a bit concerned about over-doing. While it is an adaptive class, it can be challenging and I will be a good model still of adapting. My op hip still has some ROM challenges. I can rotate out fine in the pool and in standing tree pose on land but when sitting, the leg has little ROM for seated tree pose. I'm a work in progress and more slowly than I've every allowed before! I am doing standing tree pose, cat cow, warrior I with narrow stance, warrior II with short holding time and narrow stance, and love the down dog on a chair (yes, you can get the stretch w/o violating the 90 degree thing!). I'm hoping I can get on the floor and get the left leg to go into lotus (or anywhere while on the floor!) eventually. That's my biggest goal - get on the floor, the yoga mat, pet my dog, and just sit on the floor gracefully and w/o pain!

Three weeks is a turning point. Enjoy your reading during this time. I believe I read at least 4 novels as I entered this phase of recovery!

I love following your journey and will look forward to your post-op report about your returning to yoga teaching and your rehab!

Ah yes. Malasana lol I don’t see myself doing that for quite some time and when I do I’ll be parking my butt on a block! Yes I had an antero-lateral approach so my incisions are not in the front of my thighs but rather about 3-4 inches off center. My Dr does this approach says it preserves stability in extension (as in posterior) but also stability in flexion (as in anterior).

And yes @luvsibes down dog on the chair helps you keep the 90 degree rule!

Last edited by a moderator:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker
Recent bookmarks