THR Made it! Now a revision!

Swelling can cause pain. But it's more likely that your husband is still experiencing surgical pain. After all, he's only a couple of weeks out and his body is still healing. Be sure he doesn't continue any activity when pain starts. That's very unwise and could result in swelling and even more pain.

Did you read the articles that were linked for you earlier in this thread? The blue links? The information there should help you understand how recovery will progress.

Hi the swelling comes and goes for some time as I understand it. The solution is to ice and elevate as much as possible but am sure Josephine or Jaycey would give you more info on how long to ice for. I think I read that you need to ice for 40 mins 4 times a day but may be wrong. Hope you get some more support from your GP. Would think you need some more meds to help with the pain caused by the swelling. My hospital sent me home with strong painkillers and then I got a repeat prescription from my GP, you shouldn't need to buy any OTC meds.

not too sure on leg lenght but its hard to tell
Give it 3-4 months before addressing any LLD. Every new hippie feels there is a leg length difference but in most cases this feeling just fades as the pelvis balances back.
hen does the swelling stop on average as this is what is causeing his pain.??
The time frame for swelling is different for everyone. But it is the swelling that is causing pain. Ice and elevate as much as possible. Still very early days!

Hi All,

Just a quick up date, its now 3 and half weeks since op. Hubby is doing well and has gained a lot of movement back. Started physcio at end of week 2 due to Christmas break and is making great progress. Have a wonderful physio who is setting exercises just for hubby as he is doing so well. Down to one crutch outside and non in the house unless its a bad day.

Saw consultant and he is pleased with progress. Have talked about what has happened and have agreed to wait and see and if necessary will re-do.

Now reducing pain killers during the day, still ice and raising to help with swelling although mostly gone now due to all the exercises he has been given.

Starting to walk further now and put more weight on the leg. Still having good days and bad. But as I tell him. Every day in every way he is getting better and better.

I have found taking photos a great way to show improvement each week as you soon forget how far you have come.

Have a wonderful physio who is setting exercises just for hubby as he is doing so well.
I would remind you that hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

Hi, its only been 10 months since hubby had his 1st hip replaced and has been in pain the whole time. Our 1st consultant would not listen to us so after 8 months went private to see a 2nd consultant to review the pain. We are so pleased that we paid for this as after a xray and ultra sound scan and a CT scan we have now got to the truth of the pain. The 1st consultant did such a bad job.

The cup was placed incorrectly which meant the stem was also misplaced and to top it off the cup had slipped to the wrong place, too low down. Pix to follow. As such the only thing stopping the hip from popping out was his strong muscles. I would say to anybody in pain don't give up go and see a 2nd consultant who is not connected to your 1st consultant.

Hubby is now having to have revision THR with bone graft in 2nd week of November. This will mean more time off work. Don't give up if you're in pain as you know your body better than anyone. Go and see a 2nd consultant it will put you mind at rest one way or another.

Will post pix of the CT scan showing the slipped cup soon. You will be quite surprised when you see it.

@Holly100 Thank for the update on your husband. So glad you that you sought a second opinion and can get that revision done.

You will notice that I have merged your two threads together as we prefer that members in recovery only have one thread.

This is for three reasons:
1. if you keep starting new threads, you miss the posts others have left you in the old threads
2. it often ends up that information is unnecessarily repeated
3. it's best if we can keep all your recovery story in one place so it's easily accessed if we need to advise you.

Please keep all your questions and updates on this thread. I changed the title slightly. If you would like a new thread title just give a shout.

Thanks for all your support, i am keeping my finguers crossed that this one works.
Is there anything we should be aware of with a revision work?

Sorry for your husbands long journey. Thankfully he's found an answer and solution.
I wish him the best as he goes into his revision surgery. Possibly @Josephine may
have some commentary in regard to the revision.
Keep us posted and have a nice weekend!
@Holly100

Is there anything we should be aware of with a revision work?
Not especially. It will be pretty much like the primary replacement.

As for that first surgeon, have you taken legal advice? If not, you should.

Hope all goes well this time. Certainly sounds like a horrid first time around. Hope you have some recourse...

Thanks all will let you know how we get on. We have taken legal help and our solicitor is on the case.
Just have few busy weekend now fitting all the jobs that need doing before his operation.

Best if luck to you both. You deserve some.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom