THR Made it around the corner

Happy Four Month Anniversary! In case you stop by.
I hope you're having fun out there :wave:
@Chaotic

Thank you @Layla for checking on me. I am doing very well. It's nice to be able to walk normally again and not have to answer the questions about why I'm limping. I am doing great, have done long walk days. I also did a 3 mile hike in the state park and that was the most uneven terrain I had walked on since surgery. It went really well, I was a little sore the next day, but the rest of that week was fantastic! I think it was good for me.

Heels are my enemy. Even my 1.5 inch Rockport shoes. I was sore most of the day and by the time I got home my back was spasming. Thank goodness for the hot tub. I may be donating anything with a heel. Sad but oh well, it's so not worth hurting over.

I still have some numbness and get swelling on my outer hip up by the incision when I do alot of walking. Still get those nerve pangs too. Which is a good sign. My left hip still gives me problems. I give it maybe two years at this rate and you guys will be adding my next surgery date.

I love this site. The support is truly priceless.

At only four months out this sounds totally normal. Lots of healing still going on. Walking is great and you may indeed be able to wear a higher heal at one point. Just keep trying.
My left hip still gives me problems.
Happens to many - we will be here for you again.

Thanks for your update!

So we had or first real cold front this week. It was 92 at 5pm on Thursday and it was 52 at 5pm on Friday. And rainy and wet. My leg HURTS! What the heck? I am hoping some light yoga helps work this mess out. I knew I would feel the weather but I hope it’s only this much because I’m still healing.

My heavens. Have a great weekend!

Happy Saturday!
Losing the limp is such a blessing. I've often said here that I ignorantly never equated limping with pain until I experienced it myself. I now look at someone limping in a completely different light, feeling sympathetic to their pain, wondering why they're limping and often throwing up a quick prayer on their behalf. The entire process of THR from the decline through recovery is definitely enlightening.

I can imagine how rewarding that three mile hike must have felt. Good for you!
I agree with you on heels. I don't wear them anymore either. Weddings and funerals and if I can sneak them off while there (under a table) I do. There comes a time all good things must come to an end, right? :wink: My 60's are becoming more about comfort, over being a slave to fashion. I guess I'm finally growing up, lol.

Swelling and numbness is not uncommon at this point. It will continue us to ease. Hopefully your other hip holds out a good long time, but if it doesn't, you know we'll be here to offer support and encouragement through it all.

I've read online that some experience increased stiffness / pain or feel changes in the weather for up to 1-2 yrs post op. It happens as the bone adapts and grows around the metal prothesis leading to sensitivity in weather and pressure changes. Interesting, huh?

Thanks for updating. Please stay in touch and have a great weekend!
@Chaotic

Hello to everyone new and old in the forums. I would like to say that this forum is absolutely the best resource for anyone going through this process. I am so grateful for the support and information provided, not only when asked, but in archived conversations. It truly is reassuring to know someone has felt how you feel, someone has thought what you think, and people have been there and done it and are on the other side.

I am on the other side and it is wonderful. My new hip is amazing and I think I had forgotten what it was like to not have some level of pain.

I am one year out next week and it has been quite a ride. Some things I wish I had known before surgery:

Give yourself the time to recover! Only being 45 I was sure I would bounce back and be up and going in no time. We've all heard the stories of super fast recoveries. Most of those are skewed by time and point of view, but if you are lucky enough to bounce right up, great! Just know they mean it when they say it takes time for most people. And the wonderful ladies moderating this site spent many a post telling me this, I'm just a little hard headed. :loll:

I was not prepared for the nerve changes in my leg. I can touch the right side of my upper thigh and I feel it on the mid part of my front thigh. It's seriously the weirdest! It may recover yet (it takes time) so I'm not stressing but it is so strange and I wasn't really prepared for the nerve recovery.

I have learned some things too:

The scar is not a big deal. I've even forgotten about it when I put my bathing suit on. I thought it would make me self conscience, but it really doesn't.

It's good to listen to people who know. Our brain tends to run off on their own, but this forum is a great source of grounding.

I do have a hyper mobile SI joint that likes to manifest groin pain, put it back in place - gone.

Over the past year I have thought of many other lessons I would comment on, but they escape me now. I just know that having the hip replacement certainly made my life better, and that is what it is all about. Having a healthy hip does illuminate an unhealthy one, and it will likely be less than two years before I have the left hip replaced as well. It was always technically worse, but the right just wore out faster, so I will be here again.

I look forward to some other anniversary posts and to everyone just starting your recovery journey, this will be worth it in the end. Thank you again to the incredibly supportive staff and members on this site.

Great update @Chaotic, so glad you dropped by to share that! And, Happy One Year Anniversary, almost! :flwrysmile: Some folks even report seeing/feeling improvement at a year and a half and some even all the way out to two. So, there's still hope the nerve issues will straighten out.

Thank you @Elf1. The nerve thing doesn't really bother me, it is just odd and it was something I didn't realize would happen. :flabber:

I love my new hip though. No doubt about it!

Happy One Year Anniversary!
Thanks for sharing the thorough update above. It was nice to hear from you. You’re doing great! I’m sure your words will encourage many following behind.
All the best to you!
@Chaotic

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020