ConforMIS
Lounge Doctor

THR Made It - 2nd Total Hip Replacement

Flwrgirl

Country
United States United States
I made it to my second total hip replacement. Left total hip replacement surgery was 7 weeks ago and this past Monday I had the right total hip replacement. YAY!

PT went well with the left hip and helped with my right hip being stronger before surgery. I feel amazing, I am able to walk, sit, stand and sleep without pain.

I have had a couple days of dizziness. Has anyone experienced this dizzy feeling?

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:welome:Congrats on your new hip!

Sorry you’re experiencing some dizziness. Wondering if it’s your BP, or one of your meds?
Please take it slow and easy getting up and moving around. You don’t want to fall. Have you spoken with your surgeons care team about the dizziness? If not, consider giving them a call to go over meds with you and advise. I hope it eases soon and you have a relaxing weekend. Below are the Recovery Guidelines for a refresher.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Going4fun

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
You can call your surgeon if you're worried about the dizziness. A nurse on staff or a PA would know what to look for and what to tell you. You're a week out or so, hmmm ... yes, call about the dizziness. Just to make sure everything is OK.

Figsktr

Country
A lot of things can cause dizziness- here is some of the things I always think of:
1. Anemia- did you know your blood loss, what was your discharge hemoglobin count. My hip surgery was Sept 18. I lost 800 cc’s of blood and my count drop from 12mg/dL to 6 mg/dL. Yep I got a blood transfusion with 2 units. When I was discharged day 3 my count was up to 8.3. I still feel a little woozy I have been taking iron supplements
2. Medications- narcotics are notorious for casing dizziness
3. Change in your blood pressure from sitting to standing - hydration can help that - make sure you are taking in at least 1-2 liters of wate
4. Uncommon- inner ear problem. This is not related to your surgery or it could be, but highly unlikely - a medication called meclizine(antivert ) can help this
If it doesn’t improve call your doctor, you don’t want to fall and mess up your hip.
keep us informed!

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Congratulations on your double hippy status...
I had some spells of dizziness...blood loss from surgery and pain meds were the likely suspected causes
Certainly a check with your care team is best. I know I was slightly anemic for the first month.
Stay hydrated and try to concentrate on iron rich foods to get that blood nice and strong. A glass of juice will provide the Vitamin C vital to iron absorption.
Hope all is levelling off.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Congratulations on joining the double hippy club. Please be very careful when changing positions from sitting or laying down to standing if you are experiencing dizziness. Checking in with your medical team is a great idea. Have a peaceful day.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy One Week Anniversary!
How are you doing one week post op? Hopefully the dizziness has subsided and you’re comfortably falling into a routine with all. Please update as when you have time. We’d love to hear from you and support you as you’re healing.
I hope you have a good week! :)
@Flwrgirl

Woodstockhip

Country
For me, a combination of anemia from a little blood loss, low blood pressure, and drugs caused the dizziness. Hope you get to the bottom of yours. I found that slow, mindful position changes helped — getting up too fast can send the room spinning. And drinking lots of fluids was also advised.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Two Week Anniversary, Lefty!
How are you doing two weeks post op from your latest THR? Hopefully all is well and you’re feeling stronger, week by week. We‘d love to read about your progress next time you stop by. Wishing you all the best moving forward. Hope to hear from you soon. :wave:
@Flwrgirl

OP
OP
Flwrgirl

Flwrgirl

Country
Hi!

I’m doing well 9 weeks left hip and 2 weeks right hip. I have swelling here and there on my thighs and my right hip has this sharp needle like prickly feeling. I am learning how to walk again after 4 years of walking with a waddle. lol :loll:I am amazed and excited that I have no more hip pain. Thank you Jesus!
@Layla

Last edited by a moderator:

ForumUser

senior
Country
Actually, thanking the hundreds of thousands of medical professionals, scientists, device engineers, systems engineers, nurses, doctors, therapists, developer representatives, and an education system supporting continued improvement is most appropriate. Billions of hours of education, training and caring.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello @Flwrgirl
Such a wonderful update. I love that your amazed and excited. It’s such a relief to be rid of that horrid hip pain. As you recall from your first one it’s going to get a whole lot better.
I’m happy for you! :)

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Getting rid of the awful hip pain is so liberating. It was only after it was gone that I realized how much it was affecting my personality as well as my ability to move. Have a wonderful pain free day. :flwrysmile:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave:Happy One Month Anniversary, Lefty!
I hope, Righty, is chugging right along and doing well too.
Wishing you a wonderful weekend and hoping you’ll stay in touch allowing us to follow your progress for awhile longer. :SUNsmile:
@Flwrgirl

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Stopping by to say :hi: and see how you’re doing with your two new hips.
Three month anniversary today for, Lefty. Hopefully you‘re enjoying progress and feeling stronger week by week. Leave an update if you’re up to it. We’d love to read one.
Wishing you a nice Thanksgiving if we don’t hear from you before then.
@Flwrgirl

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Kevmo
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom