Made 5 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug

alpha
Country
United States United States
I went wild this morning and now I have to pay the piper.
After posting about how my son and I like to go hiking in the woods and beach, I decided to give the new knee a test...
I left the house and hit the road.
Once I got going and got a sweat worked up, it was great. The sun shining, listening to 60's hits on the Ipod.
Once again, I've over done it. I was limping pretty good by the time I got home but I'm iced up now. Not in any particular amount of pain.
It was interesting to do road work again. I have been doing walking on a treadmill or level floor of a mall.
Before the surgery, any uneven surface would feel like someone was driving a spike into the knee.
Now it was smooth as could be.
I did get in the truck and measure the distance. 5.2 mile.
We'll see how it feels this afternoon.

I was just thinking about the need to increase my walking distance. no where near 5 miles. I'm now at 1/4 mile and thought about doubling that. It is nice how uneven is not an issue as far as pain. I ventured into my yard a little yesterday and was yet amazed again as to my ability and the sensation (or lack of) that was associated with it. Good for you Doug. Hope it doesn't ache ya too much later. Sweat is good, means calories are being burned. I'm also interested in building up some muscle, Muscle burns calories. Not to be Mrs. Universe or anything, just stronger, more stamina and burning more calories.

Great, Doug! You'll bounce right back, I'm sure. Like everybody says, if you don't push now and then how will you ever know what you are capable of? Hope the comeback doesn't take too long!

I think that's great!

I actually enjoy walking again - and will get up to where I want to be steps wise. I want to get to at least 10k steps a day.

Thats the way to do it Doug!!! Well done mate, cheers klinger.

Hey, Klinger.....any more of those snail jokes in your joke bag? I like silly little jokes like that....simple humor for a simple person (me!). Hope you're doing well today! ...Jamie

Good job Doug. I'm convinced that the real sign of getting better is when doing a bit more turns into no big deal. I started out walking about 200 yards and doubling it each day and taking a nap after it. Then one day you suddenly realize that the grocery store trip, the drug store trip and the Wal-Mart trip were probably 3 or 4 times what you have been walking.

In your case its hey I did 5 miles and I should have more pain than this. That's a good sign

Good job, Doug! 5 miles is probably a bit much but at least you know you can do it and live to tell the story. I have been doing about 2 miles a day with the dog, maybe a bit more. It is easy on my knee and I just feel refreshed. I probably need to extend it a bit. There is a field with about 200 ewes and their babies (they are the cutest little things) that is about 1.7 miles away from home. I could walk there and back as a start. I need some purpose for walking other than just exercise, so that would be worthwhile.

Let us know how you feel later, Doug. I'll check back on you Sunday late. Stay out of trouble, okay?

So how far should we be walking at what point. Yeah, I know we are all different, but there must be some general guide. 4 Weeks = this, 16 weeks = that.

I just walked probably 3 tenths of a mile to my girlfriends, sat and had ice water and chatted for and hour to 1.5 and then walked 3 tenths back home. That's over a half mile with a good break in between. Man is it nice outside today. The walk wasn't bad on my knees at all (that's the real test, right?). Actually the hiil , or incline was not good. I could do it but it was uncomfortable on my knees. going dow. Up was fine. It inclined about as much as a handcap access ramp. It was great to just walkin the beautiful sunshine and thank God for my new knees and no pain.

Thinking about it Doug, remember when we worked so hard for 5 steps. Good job.

Well done! doug---you sre stretching your limits and pushing things quite nicely! Farther and farther each time now...(OK---just a little farther each time...)

Tim C.

Hey guys, Just got back from a movie with the family.
The knee...It feels great. Still a little tight above the joint. I am totally surprised. It seems as if I jumped to another plateau for recovery...Know what hurts on me...My right foot..I think when I started limping towards the end, I wore a blister on the bottom of the foot..
I managed the whole day with 1/2 pill. I don't really feel like I need one tonight.

Jennifer, the distance has to be what you can do at your stage of recovery. In the past three months on this forum, that has been one of the most repeated over and over. We were all at different levels of condition prior to the surgery and that will impact our recovery. Just do your best each time. Only you know your effort.

The "dot" beside Dougie's name was blue....I knew he was offline. He's all green for GO GO GO, now!

Way to go Doug, I think that is great and hope for the same for me someday. I had pt today and we did some new exercises and I am paying the price tonight. He said I would be hating him and he is right on target. It's amazing how when you use muscles that you haven't used for a while they scream at you.
We have tickets to go to the theater tomorrow and see Riverdance and I am excited but not about our seats. We have front row in the balcony and the leg room is minimal at best. I feel bad for my husband but I think I am going to see if they will switch me to handicap seating where there would be more leg room. I can bend but not for 2 hours that is for sure.
Of course at this point I may be crawling to the theater since I'm already sore tonight. Oh the joy of this surgery, I can't wait until I get to the point where I can say I am glad I had it because it sure isn't yet.
Cathy

We went to see Riverdance several years ago...It is fantastic...

Also, as for the walk, there wasn't any great speed involved..No swishing either..(shut up Patti).

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018
  • Pumpkin
    Staff member since March 26, 2015
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017