• REGISTER for Joint Replacement Awareness Day on May 9th, 2020!

Surgeons, patients, and other medical professionals will talk about topics you've told are important to you. You can ask questions LIVE of the participants. Please "like" and "share" our JRAD notice on your Facebook page too!

Register and learn more in this announcement:

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

PKR Maddening Restless Leg

T Funkus

Country
United States United States
Hello,
I am post op of 8 weeks from a lateral partial knee replacement. I am now off all narcotics.
I am experiencing severe restless leg syndrome and am not able to sleep. This started about 4 weeks ago. The narcotics did help a bit. Now that I am off the heavy meds there is no relief.
Is this normal? If so, is it Permanent or does it eventually go away?
it is totally exhausting and maddening.

Roy Gardiner

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
:welome: to BoneSmart.

It will go away, it's just the body reacting to a major assault. You might visit your normal doctor, perhaps there's a med that might help.

In the meantime:

Knee Recovery: The Guidelines

1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary

2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

The Recovery articles:

There are also some cautionary articles here

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

Tykey

big-cheese
Many of us get what we can "zingers" which feel like electric shocks as the nerves reconnect, so the leg jerks. This goes away fairly soon

If it's not this, and is the real McCoy, there seems to be many lifestyle changes and/or medications to sort it.

I notice that one of the recommended meds make you sleep, so that's a double benefit.

sistersinhim

Country
Hello @T Funkus, welcome to Bonesmart. Please tell us your exact surgery date and which knee it was. We will add it to your signature for you.

I had the RLS for a while, too. My doctor suggested a use a heating pad on my quads, (not on the knee!), right before bed. It did seem to help some.

Rucked Up

Country
been awake since 4am, my leg is doing its dance (nerve zings, but oh so like RLS) I'm day 13 post op
would be nice if my calf could do it thing during waking hours, but nooooooooo.

You are not alone

Jockette

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
We have an extensive library of informative articles right here on the Bonesmart forums, and here’s the article we have on Restless Leg Syndrome:

Here’s a link to the whole list of articles in the Bonesmart Library. Lots of topics there!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Annapic
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom