TKR Macknit's recovery thread

I’m sorry it took a whole month to recover. Sometimes our knees are such drama queens!

Re: shoes @Macknit
When I started with the chiro to improve my gait, he asked that I not change shoes until he was sure my alignment was correct and holding.
He acquiesced to my foot doctor’s request that I wear the custom orthotics for an hour a day.
OS said he didn’t think my left food would tolerate a hard orthotic while it has the partially torn PTT.
Tried the gradual wearing of the orthotics for several weeks (2 months?).
Now I’m agreeing with the chiro and the OS and the legs and feet are doing better with the original shoe—Brooks Motion Control Addiction Walker—with a full length Dr Scholl’s sport insole that has a semi-flexible plastic arch.
My OS also said, prior to my knee surgeries, to not get new shoes for at least 3 months after and check with him first.

@Sara61... I love the virtual lunch idea!! Unfortunately, we lonely state employees are still working behind the scenes. No public contact, but we do reality lunch at our desks every day because we are just at 6 feet from each other and separated by the cubby walls. :wink:

@marieltha ... I'm glad you are doing better with the original shoe... It is a consistent shoe, right? The only one you wear to walk in? I think my knee is unhappiest when I walk a short 15 minute walk in my "street shoes" or boots. I have one pair of hiking shoes - Keen Voyageur that seem to not bother my knee the best...I need to probably stick with that! Or try something new, like your Brooks edition!

Last edited:
Yes, consistent shoe. Literally, I wear these all the time. I even put them on if I get up in the night. LOL. I got 2 pairs, the white and the black leather. Had both stretched even though I had bought 1/2 size bigger. Worked on the black, but not the white. So I live in these black shoes. Sigh. The light gray Velcro strap Propet I got after the shoulder surgery don’t give enough support, but I sometimes wear them to walk to the bathroom in the night.
Sometime in the future, I’ll try on the NB 928 walking shoe (MC), and maybe the NB 1540 running MC shoes. Maybe.

Just popping to say hi. The knee is less pain, but my leg overall is more stiff. Not sure why, but it is liveable at this point.

I haven't been checking in as much since my dear momma is struggling with some difficult health issues right now. She is 86 and my poor dad, 88, is unable to visit her! Very strange and uncertain times for all of us! We are about a 5 hour trip away and that is not something we could even do right now. I'm just praying that she can hold on so all of us can visit her once more!

I hope all are staying safe and settled with this new normal. I am working from home 25 hours a week, and when I do go in the other 15 hours, 1/2 the office is gone. We are not open to the public right now, so keeping up the proper procedures seems to be working.

I’m so sorry to hear about your mom and that your parents can’t see each other. I’m sure that is very difficult for them.

I had a lot of stiffness at your stage, also, but I saw a lot of improvement in my second year. I never dreamed it would take that long!

Thanks @Jockette, we are taking it one day at a time....both the knee and my mom! I hope all is safe in your neck of the woods. Take care!

I'm sorry about your mom.
I'm glad your knee is mostly behaving though.
I give thanks every day I got mine done before all this.

Such sad and hard times at the moment here's hoping your Mom pulls through and you all get to be together soon :prayer:
Yesterday I saw my sister ( we live 30 minutes apart but in different municipalities)as from today we are locked into our own municipality for the next 5 days yesterday I went to a chemist half way between us (to finally buy a mask the only chemist with them ..) my sister funnily had,had the same idea - sad thing was we couldn't hug or kiss and had to keep 2mts apart- I felt so sad afterwards...Normally we would be spending Easter all together with our kids home but this year both her daughters and my daughter are in London also under strict lockdown too.
Fortunately our government heeded early warnings so it appears we are controlling the virus quite well for this wee corner of Europe, we have been in confinement now for nearly 5 weeks.
Knee wise - glad to hear it going ok for you, I always follow your posts with interest as you are 1 month ahead of me, and it seems are recovery is similar in many ways.
Stay safe and wishing you and yours a Happy Easter Weekend xx

Good Friday and Easter is sooo different this year.

My mother is now at home with hospice, the cancer is in multiple organs and her brain, now. I'm venturing onto an airplane later this afternoon and heading to one of the nations hot spots.... Seattle! :sad::sad: Yet, the good news is that our little airport has few travellers right now and we all can sit a good distance from each other.

What a time to strengthen our character, eh? Virus, knees, life, death....I'm having to weigh greater risk vs. visiting your dying parent. It isn't really a choice for me.

Whew, life can be so hard at times, thank God for Easter.

1586613150598.png
Happy Easter Everyone!

My prayers and good wishes are with you, your mom, and your whole family.

I’m so sorry to read about your mother. :console2:

I wondered how air travel is being handled, I’m glad to know that people are able to be spaced apart.

Sending hugs and prayers at this difficult time. :console2::prayer:

I pray that you can spend many days with your mom and that you stay healthy.

Sending hugs and prayers that it all goes well for you, the journey and time with your Mum - stay healthy and safe xxx :prayer: :praying:

Praying for you & your mom @Macknit. My son flew 10 days ago from Eugene to Oklahoma City & said there might have been 10 people on the plane. He really didn’t want to fly either but his leave to come help me was over. I hope your flight is empty too & that you enjoy your time with your mom. My dad had hospice for cancer too & although it was hard, the hospice team was wonderful & my siblings & I have lots of great memories of those days.

I'm so sorry to hear this. You'll be in my thoughts.

Well, my sweet momma is on the other side now... walking with Jesus and the angels :angel:

She passed last Wednesday and we had her tiny service on Monday. She was such an extrovert with a passion for food and people, sadly Covid interfered with our party, but her children and their spouses and partners were all there!

She had both of her knees done about 20 years ago, not at the same time though. I never did hear her complain about those knees!! My knees behaved quite well and I even got some walking in, as we rotated shifts in taking care of her.

Thanks for all of the kind thoughts and prayers. Bonesmarties are the best!! I just came away with such a perspective on what a gift this life is...I was so grateful to spend time with my sisters, my father, and most of all with mom in her last moments.

My flights were fabulous - 10 people on the first flight and 14 on the way home....I wish it was always like that.

Take care and be safe! It looks like most of us are still in this isolation for the long haul!

My condolences to you and your family, but I'm so glad you got to spend previous time with your Mom, now you get to enjoy the happy memories. Glad to hear your flights went well. Stay safe and healthy - sending you a virtual hug xx

I'm sorry for your loss. It was good that you got to be with your mother and see your family. You now have another long process ahead of you.

I am so sorry about the passing of your mom, but she is rejoicing now.

It is wonderful that your knee is doing so well. What an encouragement to those coming up behind you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom