TKR Macknit's recovery thread

Thank you to all of you for the positive, affirming comments and tags.

I try to focus on a word a year, which encourages me personally, but also helps me reach out to others....(past teacher/counselor in me!) The word I chose this year is JOY.... There is a lot of written advice on this concept, both in psychology and theology.

We all know that positive thinking and joyfulness can do for our psyche, right? Now it appears there is scientific evidence that is affirming the importance of it for our recoveries too! My hope is that while we're journeying on this recovery road we can lift each other up, when needed!

Foremost, this forum has been so stimulating to my knee recovery. Secondly, the opportunity just to meet a wide range of people that have so much that they bring to life and share on these pages is just plain invigorating for me personally. And lastly, when there is pain and suffering, what better thing to do than reach out and lift others up!

I am humbled by the generosity and love that comes out of these pages from so many of you dear ones! What a great place to connect and improve!

Thank you!

There is no better feeling that I can think of than feeling joy. It's a feeling that's there no matter what the circumstances are. Happy is fleeting, joy is permanent. I think you'll recover very well with your attitude. We can choose to look at the bad or look at the good that's now or to come.

Time for a weekly update I'm at 20.5 weeks now however, it's the 6th straight day of snow and ice. It took me 4 of those days driving to finally relax. My special knee really notices the difference when I'm not tensing my entire body!! :oyvey:

Today, I'm wearing the triple crown...
  1. Human knee is very arthritic and painful....I'm in the process of meeting with the OS's PA in a few weeks.
  2. Had my second Shingrix vaccine for shingles yesterday and I've got the shivers, muscle pain and queasy tummy, just like they warn us. This doesn't feel good on both of my knees either !
  3. :cry: the "glaçage sur le gateau" is a very stuffy nose I've had for about a week with no other symptoms (before the Shingrix vaccine) DH has it too and we're not sure if it's the dry weather, daily fires in our wood burning stove, or some rare allergy that we've never had before!?
I just need someone to feel a tad sorry for me, since DH is wayyyyy "over-it" with my ailments! :yawn:

Overall knee recovery is happening, just trying to move a bit more without overdoing it on my good days. I know all the other symptoms I have will pass, but thanks for virtually listening anyway! :swoon:

Happy weekend!

Pat, pat, pat, feel better soon! That’s too many bothers!

(((Macknit))) There is a big hug for you!

Feel better, I have enjoyed reading your posts. I'm behind you in the journey, not quite 6 weeks. I join the over doer club a couple of times a week, any surgery I've ever had was doing so much better at 6 weeks on my way to normal. This is like nothing I've done before

Hope your Shingles shot side effects fade quickly.
Recovery, especially for those of us w multiple surgeries, is beyond exhausting for both those becoming bionic and our caretakers, as you @Macknit shared. Never ends, or lets up, it seems.
@luvcats has also shared her thoughts about having a multi-year journey and I identify with the feelings she eloquently expresses.
@Izabel too.
Are you planning to fix your “human” knee soon?

@marieltha In a perfect world I would aim for next January, 2021...this way I could tie a LTKR in with my retirement, I don't want to return to work again with this recovery. My hope in the next weeks is to get 1 cortisone shot, the long lasting one, to make it through the summer, and then I'll be deciding with the OS what the best timing is.....It may be December 2020 (right AFTER the holidays) but, you know these docs and their schedules!

Shingles shot side effects are fading today, just a bit edgy still, but at least the low grade fever and shivers are gone!

Thanks for checking! :SUNsmile:

@Macknit My hubby is way over it too. Actually told me my negative attitude will hinder my progress. I made the mistake on a bad day saying to him I don't think I'll ever get better. Today is not a good day knee wise but I am seeing turtle pace progress and I'm so thankful for that!

Yes, yes our DH's have had a lot to put up with, and even though he is over it, there has been some training for all our caretakers in this too!

I was telling him my plans for today, which included a walk outside with my snow chains and poles! It is only 28 F but the sun is beautifully shining and it is so motivating...DH was adamant..."NO, where is your common sense? The ice is going to be worse today because we got up to 39 F yesterday. This means melting then icing!"

So, though highly disappointed, he is right and I'm heading to the recumbent bike and maybe the elliptical for my indoor exercise. :sigh: BIG SIGH!

it is funny to see them "take charge" when needed!! Bless their hearts!
1579456002881.png

@Macknit how does the elliptical work for you? Do I need good range of motion for it?

I really want some cardio work, but I can’t get a full turn on the bike, the rower was too intense, and my durn incision still isn’t healed so I can’t swim laps with a pull buoy. Maybe I’m not ready for the elliptical yet, but maybe it’s a good option?

So, unfortunately for you, at PT I was told I need to accomplish the bike first, then I could do the elliptical. My ROM has done well from the beginning...I don't measure it now, but I'd say 125-ish...I don't have any functionality issues, just have swelling at every day's end, which of course, limits ROM at that time.

I have the elliptical set at 0 resistance and no incline. Only doing 15 minutes now and 30 minutes on the bike. It is like walking for me, but the PTA who works with TKR patients in the PT clinic's gym, did tell me that I had to be careful on the elliptical because it puts more pressure on the front of the knee. So, I waited until I was making the full bike rotations, regularly and easily. (This is why I have always sung the praises of my PT clinic, they are very gentle and cautious!)

You could check with someone at your clinic or gym to verify that, but I would think if the bike rotations aren't happening regularly, you will need to wait some. Sorry...:console2:

Sending healing hugs to you :console2:
Hope you feel better soon xxx

I finally got full-turns on stationary bike a few pedals, but was never coordinated for an elliptical (feels like I am am coming apart and too winded to continue). Swimming indeed is suppose to be idea. Even if just walking against the water I am hearing.
...I can’t get a full turn on the bike, the rower was too intense, and my durn incision still isn’t healed so I can’t swim laps with a pull buoy. Maybe I’m not ready for the elliptical yet, but maybe it’s a good option?

Last edited:
Ever hopeful, I had to ask. I am feeling more and more like I want to restart the ROM process with an MUA, but, if I can make progress each week, even if it’s not the progress my surgeon mapped out, maybe I’ll stick with the gentler approach and keep hoping for more as it comes.

You are in a rock and a hard place....I hope the best for you as you decide :SUNsmile:

A good friend of mine had her TKR a month before me. She was part of a study that didn't have you go to PT, but they had you perform daily exercise via the Apple Watch they gave you as part of the study. At 6 weeks she was at 80 degrees and her OS was concerned so at this point he had her start PT. She didn't need a MUA, but her knee is still giving her issues...I'm certain the BoneSmart way seems to be quite reliable!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom