TKR Macknit's recovery thread

Now, if my IT band would settle in...I massage it everyday, because it gets so tight. I also do a light foam roller on it, which is a tremendous help, but the tightness returns daily. I'm assuming this is just another part of my recovery, now that the leg is straight!?
I read this that one of our other advisors wrote:

“Many members think PT is needed to alleviate tightness. Tightness is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.”

@Jockette, thanks! I seem to always feel like I need to do something proactive for the tightness (I think it comes from my youth sports activities days) It does seem to relax for a bit....but I'm sure I'll see the wisdom in the 1 year for recovery as I get closer to it! Meanwhile I'll just embrace this journey :flwrysmile:

I finally decided to reconnect with my weight loss program and also found my fitbit could remind me that i had x number of steps to go starting with 250 steps per hour. With that reminder I get 2500 unintentional steps and the rest of my work and ADLs put me over 4000 steps. Luckily this is without any intentional walking or activity for weight loss. Last weekend I began short 15 minute round trip walks, plus the recumbent bike for flex of knee (5 minutes only; 3x/day.)

I walk enough during my work day and my knee isn't happy as I drive home, so I don't over do the exercises, except my bike, which I just do for 5 minutes at the end of the day. It seems to loosen the knee up for me. That is enough for the work week.

As I posted earlier I have random other pains that challenge my patience and calorie intake and therefore my weight goals. I've had to work on my own behavior modification to keep my attitude optimistic and kind toward this trip we're on! :praying: :) :-) (:

I have come to the conclusion that long term weight loss is just like this TKR recovery with lots of ups and downs but we will get that continued upward trajectory as long as we don't feed the sad/bad/inadequate/unhealthy feelings we may have towards ourselves when we hit a brick wall or setback.

@luvcats...yes I'm sure the winter weather will be challenging us. A couple of weeks ago we had single digit mornings...I was out holding up a door or log or something for DH and the Outdoor kitchen we have finished up, I immediately felt like the metal in the implant was starting to freeze, because the cold seemed to be coming from the inside!!
I'm thinking a knit knee warmer is now in order :idea: Just a smaller neck cowl that will keep Mrs Doubtfire toasty in the winter???

Last edited:
@Macknit you are doing so well! I cannot believe how much you are doing and how you are getting around. Yes, life events O put other issues like work and all into perspective. I admire your positive attitude about recovery, work...all of it.

I've had so many illnesses, I've not been able to work full-time at my chosen career in several years, although I've usually managed to do something. I was sorta forced into "early retirement" without choice. It's tough. The inability to not work regularly definitely escalated my sense of loneliness and isolation here in Michigan. But it's all good.

Do you ever find yourself trying to recall certain periods of your life and you can barely recall the event, or the time? I think about things from time-to-time and I have trouble recognizing I actually lived the event, or remembering I was definitely there.

@tlfiore Thanks! I try to be positive, because I like that choice instead of the alternative :) :-) (: I have had a lot in my life (haven't we all) and it all has boiled down to how I choose to react. Some of the issues have been heart-breaking, but after the initial shock I've slowly been able to crawl out from devastation and work on my attitude!

I was in education for 30 years, then a PK-8th grade (Catholic school) principal for the last 16 years, I retired at 61 feeling it was time....Ha!! We moved also at that time and I realized I wasn't quite ready to be retired. So, long story short, now I work for the state of Oregon, DOJ which really was a shift in using my mental skills!! Counseling and law oriented job, with major computer skills thrown in! Good thing education gave me the counseling and tech skills.
I have 13.5 months for my retirement at 5 years.That way I will be vested in my retirement plan:bath:!

My health issues started my first year in this new job, and took me from an emergency appendectomy, to hernia repair, to a diagnosis of CLL all within 3 months. Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia is a slow, almost imperceptible cancer that some times doesn't need treatment for years. I'm in the "watch and wait" stage. This can really effect how you look at life and the world...(coupled with all my experiences with parents in education) I have been able to apply many skills to my life philosophy. This diagnosis really forced my hand in choosing how i was going to view the world! So far, it has benefited me to take the road less traveled. In my case, my faith has truly been a rock in my attitude and keeping myself active. For me this journey is hard enough without some spiritual guidance and direction on a regular basis to keep my attitude positive. And at my age I see how quickly life flies by and I want it to continue with the joy and hopefulness my faith and worship give me.

Did I mention DH and I have 6 children (42 years married) and now 3 extra son-in-laws and 4 grand babies so far!! If I don't keep my head above water I can't be there for this crew either....so I just believe life is mostly about choices, even if something is forced on us....we get to choose how to react. I am not a victim in this life, I grab the bull by the horns.

Sorry, for the life philosophy ramblings!! Life is good and we can always get help in making it better!! I hope your weekend goes well and that you are feeling better!?

I meant to answer your last questions about:

Do you ever find yourself trying to recall certain periods of your life and you can barely recall the event, or the time? I think about things from time-to-time and I have trouble recognizing I actually lived the event, or remembering I was definitely there
Yes this definitely happens to me! Then I'll have random memories from second grade or fifth that are crystal clear. DH just laughs at me, because he had a major head injury when he fell off of a trampoline at the age of 12, he doesn't have too many memories from before that time! (Scary, huh?) Periodically, I ask him if he remembers me or our wedding or the honeymoon :rotfl:! It has been interesting, he remembers most things after the injury!!

@Macknit I loved reading your reply! Thank you for taking the time to post and share about yourself. WoW...as you said, so many of us have been on challenging journeys. I read where you wrote you are in a second career waiting to retire. I really admire all you have done in teaching elementary education. Seems like teaching has become a thankless job. I feel Blessed I had my professional life and career when I did because frankly, I can see things were MUCH less kooky even just a few years ago.

As an aside, I grew up in Providence Rhode Island, so I have that stubborn & industrious, proud & independent New England immigrant mentality In me. My mom immigrated from Italy and my dad was born in the USA. For a variety of reasons, I became very strong, industrious, independent and self-sufficient at a very young age. As these traits served me throughout my young life, I honed the traits very well.

Fast forward 61 years later and BOY has life changed! I won't bore you to tears but I find I'm needing to practically re-learn how to make things "work" for me, in so many ways.

I've mentioned within these threads that I am a certified Nurse Practitioner in Neurological & Psychiatric Nursing. My passion was working with the severely ill, medically compromised, neglected & homeless members of our society, those with TBIs, spinal cord injuries, neurological disorders, chronic mental health issues and the like. Due to many factors, my work occasionally departed from neuro-psych. I did lots of HOSPICE and AIDS work in Connecticut (during the AIDS crisis...mid 80s to mid 90s). I did Crisis Management in emergency rooms in Connecticut Hospitals (rapes, drug overdoses, domestic violence, muggings).

I moved to Manhattan around 1992 and did home care, Managed Care, consultation, auditing. I've taught at the college level all over and I've done some research. My final and most beloved job in NYC was as the Medical/Nursing Director of a Christian Foster Care Agency in the South Bronx/East Harlem, Cardinal McCloskey Children's Services. I managed a nursing staff who case managed the care our 550+ children required & received when they were removed from their homes and placed in Foster Care homes.

Off to Michigan I come as I follow husband for work. More mobile care for the homeless and helpless, treating people who are living under bridges in Detroit and Pontiac...more teaching.

Finally, I developed metastatic breast cancer in September 2013. Much of the treatment for the breast cancer, along with maternal history and occupational events led up to my wonky arthritic knees...that plus becoming 100 lbs overweight at one point, too.

One of my neighbors has been living with Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia now for two years. She has also opted out of treatment for now and she seems to be doing alright. She is frequently tired and fatigued, she always looks pale. My neighbor is in her early 50s and is member of the Latter Day Saints Church of Jesus Christ. She and her husband have 8 children ranging in ages 7 to 24 years. I worry about her but Wendy is pretty stubborn and she rarely opts for conventional western treatments, or therapy.

Wendy's husband John had a total hip replacement just days after I had my TKR. Wendy, her husband John and I had many discussion abut the "over-use of surgery"...their opinions, not so much mine. After two failed stem cell treatments, along with a host of other failed stuff, John just had his hip replaced on November 3rd.

So, pardon my ramble but thank you for reading. Your post brought me down memory lane.

You are obviously a very strong person. Unlike you, I do not have a large & loving family. That is something I at times miss in my later years. But for a plethora of reasons, children and grandchildren were not meant to be.

Every person copes and manages as best as they can, I suppose. I rarely, if ever comment anymore on things of which I know little about unless I've had some first hand experience.

Peace, harmony, tranquility is what I strive for.

Last edited:
Wow 6 kids and 42 years married - congratulations !! I love your positivity and general outlook on life - like you I am extremely positive (on the whole,) although this TKR has tested it once or twice - ha ha
Married now for 32 years (wanted a large family but was blessed with a daughter now grown up and living in London)
Love your idea of a knitted knee warmer shame you aren't closer ...haha as temperatures have dropped and I really feel the cold - went shopping today and DH very sweetly put the heat warmer on my seat on it was bliss :)
Hope you have a fun weekend xx

Please don't ever think I'm not tested Ha-ha....and just an aside, my idea at 18 was not to marry, to do nursing and no-way any children :rotfl: I obviously didn't know myself very well at that young age and didn't meet DH until I was 22 in the US Army (both of us) Even then children were iffy, until I decided to have the first one. I truly planned for each one, and even #6 was not a surprise at 41! It absolutely must have been meant to be For US....I would never tell anyone else to do the same! There were definitely challenging moments. Now as adults, we all just laugh a lot about the days that all of them were home!

Lovely weekend to all :praying:!!

Christmas "staging" is happening at our house! A few outside items are going up, but not lit yet...and several items are now awaiting the next weekend to start setting up! We'll turn the lights on Thanksgiving weekend, since it is late this year....my DH is very close to "Clark Griswold" in National Lampoon's Christmas! He loves the lights!!

How is your knee getting along?

Here's an odd thought. I can't think who it was, but some other Bonesmartie mentioned that at first, doing exercise made their knee hurt, but now that the first phase of healing is done, they felt more sore if they didn't exercise. I'm finding this too, that weekends when I don't hit the rec center, I'm more achy and stiff even though I don't really do a lot yet. I don't suppose there is a gym at your workplace? Is there a way to build in a little more ROM exercise before and after? Something you can do at work?

Just an idea.
Skateboard under your desk? Or plastic bag/paper towel under foot lets you slide to keep knee moving? Hold onto a shelf or equiv - do high knee raises. Often as you can.

@sistersinhim my knee is slowly healing! I still love my icing and elevating, but I'm not needing to do it as often...I've upped my walking a bit and my recumbent bike 2-3 times a day; still only 5 minute stints on the bike though. The extra Christmas preparation outside did cause a bit of swelling, but it is now fairly routine, I just I & E for 45-60 minutes and Mrs. Doubtfire (my knee) settles right down!

I've had a few setbacks with the knee when I over do it, but interestingly it is rebounding faster than it used to. I'm pleased with my overall progress and try to fit in mini stretches and movement every hour I'm at work (desk job) I'm lucky enough to have this latitude!!

@russianblu thanks for the suggestion...I think I can do all of that and need to incorporate it into my work day routine. I even have a few skateboards that my sons left behind...I just might haul one of those in too!!

While high knee raises are working for russianblu, it is not an exercise that Bonesmart recommends. I would put that in the “high marching” category.

I think the walking and the bike you are doing is fine, and all you really need. Time will take care of the rest.

The knees really do let us know when we overdo. My first month I spent most of my time icing, elevating and doing my daily activities. Once I was able to do a little more, I'd do one thing extra, then rest at least twice the time that the activity took. That worked well for me. The knee was always boss and let me know what I could and couldn't do at that particular time.

I have had both knees and hips replaced in the last four years. I've had pain with stairs, getting into cars, putting pants on, etc in my thigh and elsewhere. After all this time, I finally found a PT person how found an answer! I am so excited. I have "the stick" roller and I am using it on all the sore spots I find all over my legs. Rolling ad rolling gently is making a wonderful difference. After all this time, I am just crazy surprised it was this simple when I hear others talking about thigh and groin pain unable to get help. Try rolling, with foam or a rolling pin or "the stick". Good Luck. ;)

Thanks @Jockette, I don't know about much marching at this point, I'm finding the walking and bike don't bother my knee very much...and my legs are getting stronger. It is the up and down at my desk that probably aggravates it the most, even when I ice and elevate, I'm sitting at a computer, so it isn't reclining like at home.

It is still one day at a time, and each day is different!

It’s all baby steps. Eventually those ups and downs at your desk will get easier. That movement will strengthen quads, but in a natural way, because you only get up and down as needed. This is an example of what we mean by daily activities, as compared to doing it as an exercise at PT where you are asked to do too many “sit to stands”, too close together.

While I don’t work at a desk, I do sew. I have the same up and down from the chair at my sewing machine table. It took months for me to be able to sew again between the up and down from the chair, the non elevated 90 degree bend of my new knee, and turning on my swivel chair without bumping my new knee on the leg of the small table my machine sits on. It was a happy day when I realized I could do all that comfortably and stand at my ironing board for as long as I needed, preparing the next pieces to sew.

We all have our different variations of daily activities that are what I call “real life rehab”.

It’s all baby steps. Eventually those ups and downs at your desk will get easier. That movement will strengthen quads, but in a natural way, because you only get up and down as needed. This is an example of what we mean by daily activities, as compared to doing it as an exercise at PT where you are asked to do too many “sit to stands”, too close together.
I agree, I have those days when I can feel better with all of this and then, I have the random daily activities and it takes a week to recover. Like my driving once I started back to work full-time, I was waking up with a very specific cramp to my EDL muscle at the front lateral side of the shine. I finally figured out it was the acceleration movement and tension that was aggravating it. After several night time wake ups, I guess the muscle strengthened enough to not react!! It didn't happen during the 2.5 weeks of part time work, because I immediately was able to get home and I & E for an hour or so!

I am beginning to understand the randomness and inconsistent consistency of this recovery :flabber:! In other words, baby steps! I now need to work on embracing the fact that it does take a full year!

My PT is still moving slowly 1x per week and they don't encourage extra strength or repetitions at this point, which is why I'm still going. Plus every 3rd time is a 1 hour massage (I have one today!) I think that motivates me the most!:loveshwr:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Forum statistics