BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] Lyndam's Cable Story

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Lyndam, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Lyndam

Lyndam junior member

New Zealand New Zealand
    Feb 2017 I had a Left THR which seemed to go normally, I was unable to weight bear from the start but surgeon said it would come later. Fast forward to the 6 week check when my best efforts produced a very good penguin walk, and the surgeon said the new x-ray was showing the stem had slipped, they were going to remove it the next week and put a cemented one in. We thought that was good quick action.

At the pre-op the staff ask you to sign for permission to operate and ask which op your having, which limb etc, so I said I was having a left hip revision due to the stem slipping.......Um, apparently not - yes ma'am the stem has slipped, but the stem has slipped due to a crack in the femur. Oh my, that was a shock.

At the 6 week follow up he showed me the cerclage cable on the x-ray and said it was to help the bone heal and they don't cause any problems. Sad to report I had problems all right, the first time I went back with pain in the outer thigh he said it's probably scar tissue/tendonitis and we agreed a cortisone injection sounded like the solution. No improvement after another couple of months and I was feeling quite down with it all. He put another injection in but this time nothing, zilch! What a let down.

The last time I went, a year ago now, I asked if it could be the cerclage cable rubbing something on the inside because that's what it feels like, and could he take it out for me? He said no, not likely to be the cerclage, also said he's not going back in there anyway.

I would appreciate any and all feed back, maybe @Josephine could have a look if she's around, your opinion would be appreciated if you have the time and thanks for listening everyone.

And just one last comment, it's been a week since I wrote that PM to BB, but honestly, I can't believe it, my leg is so good it's like being reborn! It's so good, but I have bated breath waiting for it all to disappear and go back to the pain! In the meantime.

LEFT HIP 0002 (2).jpg

2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Lyndam you will notice I moved your post to your own thread. It was indeed hijacking another member's thread and you will get much more input with this information on your own thread.

3. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

@Lyndam As you can see, I have massively edited your post. Most of it was unnecessary. I left in the pertinent bits.

I also edited your xray and found something rather startling - that stem is loose. The gap can clearly be seen all around the outside of the cement. I've edited this to show you the gaps where the yellow arrows are

LEFT HIP 0002 (3).jpg

4. Lyndam

Lyndam junior member

New Zealand New Zealand
    Well thank you @Josephine, I wasn't expecting that! I've had a look at older xrays and can't see any signs of the loosening on them, having said that, this one was taken from a different angle, I was lying on my left side as that is where the pain and bruising was. Hoping my surgeon will see the loosening for himself, as he's definately not the type to be told anything.

Did you have an opinion on the metal fraying and debris for me?

Do you think the sudden and excruciating pain I had was from the bursa bursting?

I don't agree with the editing, I thought it was relevant to the cerclage discussion for future members looking for insight.

Thank you for your time once again, much appreciated, even if the news is alarming :bawl:.

5. Josephine

I don't see any evidence of such a thing.
    To be honest, I have never heard of a trochanteric bursa bursting. The capsule is really thick and tough so is very unlikely to do that. But then again, anything possible!

6. Lyndam

Lyndam junior member

New Zealand New Zealand
    @Josephine, Ok, looking at the clip part of the cerclage, the bit sticking out where they trim it off should be the same width as the cable, it was in previous x rays, it is now all withered and frayed, and then at the first arrow below that, looks like little bits of metal just to the left of the edge of the bone.

I had thought that maybe the sharp piece of cerclage could have burst the bursa when I sat down a bit too hard and a bad angle?

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  7. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

United States United States
    Hi @Lyndam
    I'm sorry for your struggles and the pain you're dealing with. I hope it something that can be addressed soon,
    bringing you relief. We're here for support if you need us.
    Wishing you comfort.

8. BionicButt

BionicButt junior member

Hi @Lyndam, I'm sorry you had this really sharp, scary pain and it sounds like you are wondering what caused that and why are you feeling better now than you have since I've been in touch with you! I remember you telling me when it happened that you had a big bruise and they tested your blood for infection because you had an elevated temperature. @Josephine any idea what could have caused this and why @Lyndam is feeling better now?

I too have had a cerclage cable problem and had mine successfully removed in October. It gave me instant relief. It hadn't occurred to me that the cable could cause inflamed bursa, but it makes sense.

I also wanted to invite you to post a summary of your story on my thread as well as here. I find the cross-references are helpful in finding other people's stories and being able to connect with them. I first came to BoneSmart longing for stories about cable problems and successful cable removal, and I couldn't find anything. The beauty of this wonderful forum is being able to find others who share our experiences and to hear how they are coping and what is helping them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Josephine

I see what you mean! Well the cable is made of braided stainless steel wire, many, many threads in it. So where it is cut it will separate over time. But the steel is very strong and unlikely to break off (yellow arrows).

The brown arrows are pointing to what I think are bits of bone cement that extruded from the bone during the original operation. Not uncommon.

wire.jpg

Nooo! Most unlikely! Like I said, the capsule of a bursa, particularly a big one like the trochanteric bursa, is really thick and tough. Most unlikely to burst in the way you describe.

10. Lyndam

Lyndam junior member

New Zealand New Zealand
    @Layla, thank you for your kind thoughts, your empathy for others always shines through in your posts, much appreciated.

@BionicButt, hello my friend, yes, I was trying to share my cerclage story with everyone but it was edited and my post is a bit odd sounding now, never mind, interested parties can always ask for more details if they want them.

@Josephine, thank you for sharing your knowledge and taking the time to look at my xray. Your comments are not what I had expected but forewarned is forearmed, so I can only be thankful. I would love to know what may have caused the small explosion inside my leg creating a massive bruise and swelling to occur. The last time I felt something like that was 25 years ago when my appendix burst.

However, now, 2 weeks after that explosion inside the outer edge of my thigh, my leg is better than its been in ages. No pain and turning over in bed hasn't woken me like usual and much freer movement all round. Yesterday I caught myself jogging up the stairs at home! I haven't done that in over 5 years, it's awesome and I finally realised why people rave about their new hip.

I will let you know the outcome after I've seen the surgeon in a few weeks.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Thank you for your kind words @Lyndam
    Please do let us know how your visit with the surgeon goes in a couple weeks. Thankfully you're feeling less pain since the incident you've described. I hope it continues.
    A great rest of the weekend to you.
    Sending a hug and wishing you comfort.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Clipper

Clipper member

@Lyndam - That sounds very encouraging and we all hope the best for your recovery! Please keep us up to date.

13. Lyndam

Lyndam junior member

New Zealand New Zealand
    @Josephine, Sorry to ask more questions, but, in relation to what I thought must be the trochanteric bursa 'bursting', if not that, then do you have any idea of what could do that?
    Also, in relation to the cement loosening and the probability of another revision - this leg has had two lateral incisions - is it feasible or sensible to change to a anterior approach if they have to go back in there. I am aware of the increased risks every time they 'go in', so I'm asking if the risks decrease by changing the approach, does it become a first op risk factor instead?
    Thank you.

14. Josephine

Show me a photo of said bruise and I can offer an opinion!
    It depends upon the surgeon. Some chaps I know won't but many will. You'll have to ask him.

15. Lyndam

Lyndam junior member

New Zealand New Zealand
    Several days after bruising appeared I thought to take a photo! So I'm on the mend in these pictures.
    Thank you.

IMG_0593-horz.jpg

16. Josephine

17. Lyndam

Lyndam junior member

New Zealand New Zealand
    @Josephine But that wasn't after surgery, this was after the bursting phenomenon inside my leg!
    You said unlikely to be bursa bursting from cerclage involvement, what else could it be, any ideas?

18. BionicButt

BionicButt junior member

Ouch! I see what you mean about the bruising! I wonder what could have caused that so long after surgery?

19. Josephine

I just reread your previous posts and you don't seem to have assigned a date to the 'bursting' phenomenon. Can you tell me when this happened?
    Well for a start, the cerclage is nowhere near the site of a trochanteric bursa. The fastener is always placed on the inner side of the femur. And as I said before, the capsules of these large bursa are usually very thick and not easy to rupture.

20. Lyndam

Lyndam junior member

New Zealand New Zealand
    @Josephine, yes, this was 4 weeks ago now, nearly 2 years after the revision surgery for a cracked bone, but that knobbly bony bit on the side of my thigh has hurt ever since surgery, always tender to the touch and I have to be careful how I sit down, due to the pain that bony bit can generate. I had always assumed the pain was from the cerclage cable, but I can see you are right, that is on the wrong side of the thigh for the pain. The day I got the bursting from within and subsequent bruising I had inadvertently flopped a bit into a soft office chair, but as I said, it seems to have cured something inside, the tightness that had been always present and most of the tenderness in there has gone, I can sleep on that side now, and I'm bouncing up the stairs like I did pre-arthritis, it's a great feeling. I would like to know what it may have been so I can avoid it coming back if possible. Thank you.