TKR luvcats recovery box

So far, @marieltha, 2020 is a bit frustrating.

I'll start with the great news. On Tuesday I saw my surgeon for my 4 month follow up. Which was 6 months for July, but her first follow up as well, as it is not possible to get an appointment with the surgeon in December. lol. They are too busy with people trying to get their surgery at the last minute. My xrays look perfect. My ROM is only 108, but I know that will continue to improve, and 105 is their minimum for managing most life tasks, so I pass.

I was surprised, but pleased, to see my actual surgeon. I'd expected just the PA. I was glad to have the chance to be effusively grateful to him for giving me my life back. Every minute of every day is better with my new knees. Every challenge is still better and easier than it was before. I haven't had one second of regret, and I really try to hold myself in the grateful place.

But of course as humans we always have to be striving, and I want more. And that's where the frustration comes in, and party why I haven't been posting.

Coming back from near total disability is exhausting, even beyond the surgical recovery. And it's long and slow, to which I am not temperamentally suited. It's very difficult to stay focused in the moment on all the amazing progress so far, and not look forward at how far there is to go.

Its especially difficult today because I did not sleep well because I overdid.
My knees are giving me no trouble. They still ache a bit when the weather is cold and drippy, which it has been a lot lately. I haven't had to ice in most of a month. I do use a lap blanket a lot more because they generally like to be kept toasty warm.

Yesterday I went to the craft store for about 40 minutes. Then I had a bit of a rest while I drove to the grocery store where I was in and out very quickly with only 2 things. And then I made a quick stop at the fabric store to pick up buttons and some fray-check. I'm really trying to find the balance between 'push' and 'hurt'. So far I keep going over. a lot. Sometimes every day seems like an extended PT session as I actively work on increasing my strength a little every day. It's exhausting, but necessary.

Generally though, things are completely amazing. Even though those 3 short errands left me aching all night, I DID them. And I enjoyed them. And my knees didn't hurt a bit.

Life is good.

So good to hear from you @luvcats! I've been wondering how you were doing.

Life is always about change, so with all you have been through in the past 14 months (I'm including Dec '18 medical emergencies) it is no wonder you catch yourself looking forward!! It might be a bit of "what's next" happening too!

It sounds like your daily activities are keeping you busy, and that your knee progress is wonderful. I agree the knee pain is much less, though I still get odd zingers, sometimes from the scar and many times in my calves, IT band and hamstrings. These muscles are still trying to work with a straight leg!

We're still being inundated with snow storms over here and driving in it daily is quite a drain of energy...but I'm heading to bed early each night and luckily sleeping well for the next days adventure!

I agree...life is good!:tada:

Today is Very Cold. Both knees resent it. I still got out and did my 30 minutes of elliptical. And I should finally, finally be back in the pool tomorrow. Life issues have interrupted my schedule.

I think I have a tooth problem. It might just be the rapid weather changes. I'll know in a day or two. I know we're supposed to not have dental work within 6 months of the replacement, which would be March 4 for me. We shall see how much of an issue it persists on being. If it's a serious problem, I'll call my surgeon for instructions.

I know I have read that any kind of surgery can affect your vision. I can't find where I have read this or any reference to how long a post surgical issue will take to resolve, vs permanent vision changes. I haven't seen an optometrist in about 2 years, so I'm overdue, but I don't want to get a new prescription for glasses only for them to change again when my body settles. Anyone have an article or any information? Google is proving very resistant on this topic.

What kind of a vision issue are you having?

I will address two issues that you bring up, only based on my personal experiences.
dental work: did your OS tell you to avoid dental work until after six months? I had teeth Cleaning at 6 weeks, and a crown at 7 weeks post op. My experience only.

vision: after the knee replacement my vision really took a nose dive! I waited for improvement to no avail! Finally saw an optometrist the following April 2018, was told my vision was 20/70! And was corrected only to 20/40 due to cataract. Coincidence, I don’t know. Do go see an optometrist have your vision evaluated.
Had cataract surgery fall 2019, now I have new eyes,and new knee!

did your OS tell you to avoid dental work until after six months?
Actually this is from both my surgeon and my dentist.

@Jockette Lovely picture! The issues with my vision is just increased blurriness and some new issues at intermediate distance that I haven't had before. I've also been getting headaches of unknown origin. This could all just be perfectly natural progression. It has been 2 years since my last optometrist visit. It just seems fast, and I am certain I saw things about vision being affected by surgeries. I just can't figure out the right key words for google. I wanted to wait until any temporary post surgical effect sorted itself out.

Getting back in the pool today. Of course it is one of the coldest days so far. Lol. I'm really looking forward to how loose and limber I'll feel after. I've missed it.

I’m pretty good at digging up stuff from Google, and the only references to visual changes I can find are either catastrophic stuff or temporary, close to the surgery. Maybe your eye doctor will know.

From my experience caring for my mom, dry eyes can affect your vision until you treat it. So you could start with over the counter drops for dryness and see if that helps.

Me, I would see the eye doctor.

Had cataract surgery fall 2019, now I have new eyes,and new knee!
Me too! Last year I had cornea transplants and new lenses. Big improvement, and beats losing my vision, but I am looking forward to having like 20 years with no surgery at some point.

If your vision has changed for any reason do get your eyes checked. I got mine checked by the regular storefront place I always went to and then later by a real eye doctor, and the eye dr found a problem and it is now fixed. Go to a good eye dr office.

I had a major vision change practically overnight, with this surgery. Before surgery I didn’t need glasses to read, unless it was the tiny print on a coupon or on a medicine bottle.

I don’t think I used my phone the day of surgery, but the day after, in the hospital I did, and it as blurry, but I was still able to make out the words. I figured it was the anesthesia or medications I was taking, so I wasn’t worried.

From the day after that and on, I had to use my bifocal glasses to read everything. And, with the sudden change, my reading prescription no longer made things very clear.

My surgeon thought the blurred vision could be from the Dilaudid I was taking, so in a melt down 11 days post op I decided to stop taking any prescription drugs. After that all I took was Tylenol and ibuprofen.

My vision did not return to what I had before surgery. But, like you, I didn’t want to be too hasty about getting new glasses if the blurry vision was going to get better. But I was really struggling to see, so I did get my eyes checked at 6 weeks.

My vision actually reversed with this surgery, distance got much better and reading got worse. Practically overnight. I was pretty aggravated about it though, as I was happy with how things were before the surgery. Needing glasses for close things all the time got old really fast, especially with all the other physical challenges in recovery.

My vision never did go back to what I had before. I got new glasses and the eye doctor had no idea what caused it. I now have cheapie reading glasses, literally, all over the house! I don’t wear glasses for distance. I guess there could be worse things, and almost 3 years post op, I’m used to it.

@Jockette thank you for sharing your story. That is exactly the sort of thing I'm sure I've read elsewhere but haven't found any data on. In my case, I think my vision deteriorated last winter after my hernia repair, but it was a big year for change, so I can't be sure. In any case, I'll be setting up an appointment with my doctor.

Yesterday I did a whole hour in the pool! I wasn't walking all that fast because my pool buddy is quite short and she couldn't keep up if I went much faster. I'm please that I had enough stamina to do it, although I was pretty exhausted for the rest of the day. My knees did beautifully. Maybe just a little swelling in September but not too much ache.

Now that I'm getting up and about more, I notice that my core muscles are pretty weak. Off to go find some gentle exercises for that.

Last edited:
An hour in the pool! That must have felt wonderful.

I'm happy to hear your stamina was there for you! I get to start the pool next week....I am so-o looking forward to it!

I'm taking a me break this AM. I had little too much activity for the knee yesterday, it was aching last night, so I'm taking an extra hour off to do some I & E time.

How is your knitting doing?

Awesome reports @luvcats
My best to July and September.
PT can help with the gentle core strengthening.
Ywill probably meet “My Little Friend”(sarcastically written) the rubber ball to squeeze between July and September.

Yesterday I saw my chiropractor. As I move more and get stronger I want to keep everything in alignment. My left foot still isn't quite right but it's coming along. Hips were adjusted, that gets better and better with more strength. And he did some wonderful stretchy things to my neck. I didn't have a headache yesterday, so that was definitely part of it. A trip to the eye doctor is still definitely on the agenda.

I started this then got distracted.

Thursday was another pool day. My walking buddy couldn't make it, but that worked out well. I walked much harder and faster, and I was very done in about 30 minutes. That was a respectable workout. I am pleased. One Wednesday I noticed the resistance on the elliptical seemed low, so on Monday I'll up to 8.

@Poctdb I'm not in PT any more and won't be unless I start having pain again or get stuck in my progress. For now, I think things are going along well enough.

I did try to do my preferred stretches in the pool to continue working my flex, but my hamstrings were cramping. A few days of watching my potassium and magnesium and I'll try again.

@Macknit the knitting is still going along fine. I have a stack of donation stuff to send to my sister for distribution at the end of this month and then I'm going to move along to an interesting challenge project. I finally have a purl method I like and my stitches are generally consistent. I'm going to make a shawl for my grandmother. I love free Ravelry patterns!

It looks like your movement/exercise activities are doing great..I'm technically in still PT, because of my back and knee. We're doing a whole-body group of exercises that help my core and back muscles especially. I do the pool every other week and the "rehab center" in between. My stamina is improving, but the weird sinus stuffiness is persistent. I've taken allergy tabs that help some, but we're not really in allergy season... Who knows???

Glad to hear your knitting is progressing and with donation items....that is commendable. My projects used to be for my kiddos when they were little and now a few gifts as the grandkids have come along. Once I finish up my personal projects, I'm planning on donation work too!! (I think my goals are the reverse of yours.) My sweater project is 3/5ths complete....but, I'm not sitting quite as much, hence the knitting is moving quite a bit more slowly. Yes on Ravelry!! They are the best.

I had a bout of completely unseasonal allergies about 2 weeks ago. I always assume it's dust or something in the air vents. Or it could be a cold that doesn't take. In this season its hard to tell.

I knew from the start I was going to knit donation items. It has given me a focus, a price point for my yarn buying (cheap) and the impetuous to knit a LOT because it's for something useful. I don't care for sweaters, nor does Beloved, so there is no way I was ever going to need as much stuff as I can create, but I dearly love the creating. Although I did make just about everyone around here fingerless gloves. They are quick and easy and let me experiment with lace patterns on a small scale so I could learn the stitching.

I still get tired pretty early in the day. I don't push much because I do know how hard last year was even if it frustrates me. I make sure I do my important chores and always hit the gym immediately after dropping beloved at public transportation so that never gets skipped for poor planning. That has to be my number one priority. When I run out of energy, it's back to feet up in my chair with a blanket over my fussy knees and knit for the rest of the day. I would be going completely crazy without it.

Well, I too get tired at work about 3:00 every single day....we do a lot of brain heavy legal documents on the computer...so I save my last hour for returning phone calls....Still have to think, but it is a bit more rote, which I can handle. I think having 2 surgeries in a year, does take it's toll on our bodies.

I try to outside walk (when it isn't snowing) at least once a day at work, but my knee still doesn't like it much...so I switched to every other day. Doing recumbent in the evenings....but neither on the one PT day each week...it is hard juggling all that. I am just doing so slowly right now, progress is in millimeters :bored:

For all I'm sure we're glad not to have the constant pain, I think recovery is actually easier in the early stages when the improvements are bigger and come more quickly and we're very focused.

Now we're just trying to get on with life and the progress is slow and not always steady and how can I possibly still be this exhausted all the time??? :yawn:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
August it is
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom