TKR luvcats recovery box

The reason I asked is because I don’t plan on going to PT next time. I truly have some PTSD from my replacement experience and I hope my insurance won’t make an issue of it. I think @Jamie commented on this just recently but I didn’t bookmark the post. :doh:

That is so horrible that you suffered so much @Jockette. No one should be able to hurt you that much, especially not under the guise of helping.

I would have a frank discussion with your surgeon and have their in house insurance coordinator find out for.you if its required. They are likely to get a clear cut answer.

I can't imagine that insurance would ever be able to require formal therapy. But if you're concerned about it, call the insurance company and ask what is required after surgery. However, you may see surgeons that insist you do it. That would be the time to talk things over with them and come to some agreement.

I have a Highly Sensitive Personality and I know because of it I overreacted to my experience. Someone else who had the exact treatment might not be as upset as I was, they might have just gotten mad and told the PT to never do that again. But it affected me deeply.

You can google “22 signs you’re a highly sensitive person”. I have 18 of the 22 signs! I would love to be a more normal person.

I run about 17 out of 21. My startle reflex is dramatically improved since I started treating my adrenal function and I took up regular meditation. I have a friend who is herself HSP and has started a coaching practice for other HSPs. I'm glad is now a thing with guidelines and an explanation instead of just being "too sensitive all the time'.

There is nothing wrong with being special, and sometimes it's a gift, but mostly it's just exhausting.

In doing research when I was teaching gender studies, I came across this theory and there may be some overlap with HSP: When men and women get upset about something, both often react strongly to it (can takes many forms), but here’s a key difference: Having vented, men (their brains) are done with that issue, whereas women (their brains) ruminate about it. (Sorry, cannot remember the source. Years later, Dr Amen, the neurologist and psychologist/psychiatrist?, wrote about this as well.)

What do you think?

I just looked at the HSP test and scored 13. It was hard for me to answer some of the questions accurately. My personality has changed a lot in the last few years (since retiring) and especially in the last 4 months since the RTKR. @marieltha I agree with the theory you're referencing purely based on personal experience and observation. It's a comforting thought to me - i.e., it's not my "fault", it's just how my brain works.

I had 11 knee surgeries and never did PT. When I had my shoulder repair and broken foot/ankle, I went to PT once each just to get the basic exercises. My insurance companies, different ones through the years, never complained one bit. Afterall, that was a lot less money they had to pay out!

@marieltha I think that theory is spot on. In my experience it is women who dwell after and argument or problem. And it may have to do with the difference in how our brains work.

@sistersinhim I'm not sure where we got the idea that PT might be mandatory, but my husband and I both have the same idea. Possibly we made it up? Since it isnt a huge issue for me, it's easier to just go with it. Having one successful recovery gives me a lot of room to continue doing as I think best.

I took my dressing off today. It was quite red. A little concerning since it's very different from the first. I think I've mentioned that my surgeons office has an ap for all their surgical patients. It asks standard questions every day and there is a chat function so if an answer needs follow up, they have easy access for a quick exchange. I sent a picture of my newly exposed incision. Within a hour I got a response that it looked normal but I should send a pic every day for a few to make sure it gets better, not worse. So I will do that.

Pain is ok. I've cut my daytime meds in half. I may have mentioned that yesterday. That is working fine, although I need to be better prepared tomorrow.

Tomorrow my dad is coming to visit. He was here in August and it went ok. This time he'll just be here a few hours before they fly back to Bahrain. Because of his cat allergy, tomorrow is scheduled to be my first foray down stairs. I practiced for a month and I've been a lot more stable than I was last go round, so I'm not concerned about the stairs, particularly. I'm a little concerned about seating. Before I sat on the couch with my legs up. But the couch is low and squashy so I'm not certain I could get out of it right now. We will be experimenting with a different chair.

If the stairs work ok, I'm planning to spend a few hours downstairs with Beloved over the weekend. Last time we had a system where he brought breakfast, then I went down for lunch and stayed until dinner, then back up to elevate more. I'm looking forward to that.

This knee has significantly more bruising down the outside of the leg, and a different kind of pain to go with it. Normal, I'm sure, but it makes my gentle heel slides uncomfortable in a new and different way. The bruising is really just making it's way to the surface now. Its quite colorful, though that isnt really my best shade of green.

@luvcats interesting your dad is returning to Bahrain, that’s where my son is living..
sounds like your recovery is going as you imagined.. I’ll bet you’re glad you made frozen meals ! Mine are long long gone and some days (like today) we just ordered in. That bruising really takes it time I remember! Mine was worst underneath knee, wish I would’ve had sense to ask for ice packs all day.. you are in such good company and we all are cheering you on! Hope the redness is just minimal normal stuff. Ps are you allowing cat(s) to sleep w you or did OS warm against that? I know we had to keep ours out in hallway until recently.. he didn’t like it one bit.

Ps are you allowing cat(s) to sleep w you or did OS warm against that? I know we had to keep ours out in hallway until recently.. he didn’t like it one bit.
That was unnecessary and an over-excess of caution on the part of your surgeon.
There's no need to exclude cats from your bedroom, or even from your bed.

Living with our pets, we become accustomed to their "germs" and develop an immunity to them. Of course, you need to be cautious when dealing with litter boxes, but ordinary, everyday contact doesn't present any danger to your recovery from a knee replacement.

@knee#2 As Celle said, I kept my kitty off the sheets right before the surgery when I was doing the hibicleanse showers, and I contracted out the litterbox cleaning for the first 2 weeks while my incision is still healing, but I don't limit visits and cuddles. Kitties have purr-magic that helps humans heal!
Interesting that your son lives in Bahrain! Small world right?

My family visit went pretty well. Going down the stairs with my new actually good knee made it much easier than before. It was very stable. The chair I sat in was...ok. Not great. My leg was a little too extended so it got tired quickly, but it was the best available option. We had a nice visit, and I'm glad we had decided to limit it to 2 hours, because I was quite done up by the time they left.

I'm spending today upstairs again. It's hard to remember, because my head is back in the game, how very little time it has been since surgery. Mental alertness does not in any way equal improved healing of the surgical site. Today is my first day back at my computer, and it will be a short stay. It's uncomfortable.

I'm still having a fair amount of redness and itching around my incision. I am keeping an eye on it and sending good pictures to the surgeons office every morning, plus taking my temperature regularly. My dressing came off a little later in July, and my staples didn't come out until 14 days. My staples this time are coming out on Monday if all still looks good. My surgeon believes that some of the irritation is a reaction to the staples. As long as it doesn't spread, it's good. Who knew having an abscess earlier in the year would prove so useful?

For those of you in the early horrible stages with me, I've found anther lovely show I'm streaming. Good Witch, on Netflix. It's out of Canada, so everyone is very nice to each other, and most of the drama comes from external sources, not the main characters, and so far, 2 season in, every plot point has had a positive outcome, which is something I need while I'm healing. It is a complete 'fluffy bunny' of a show, but with some good character development and interesting side plots. I highly recommend it. And it isn't really about 'witches'. Just nice ladies with more intuition than the average.

I am very glad I made as many frozen meals as I did. I'm almost out, but the timing works out. On Monday Beloved goes back to work full time, so I will go back to our July schedule of him bringing me breakfast, but me going down stairs at lunch time and handling my own lunch, and then staying down through dinner. I miss my recliner and my knitting needles.

So glad your visit with your Dad went so well.

Love and agree with your comment about Canada, their tv, and niceness. Miss the people and the niceness, and their tv, but not the weather.

Recommend “Intelligence” (Canadian one) on Netflix when you are ready for drama.

And I have to say that Virginians(Tidewater, anyway) in my opinion come as close as probably possible in our patch of North America to the Canadian outlook . Take a bow.
Did you see the article in yesterday’s news about the family in Alexandria who asked nearby yellow car owners to come celebrate their little boy’s birthday? He had been expected to die, but survived, is healthy, and loves Bumblebee (Transformers). Parents expected 10 or so cars. More than 100 Virginians showed up, some from as far as Staunton!

@luvcats, what a great post. You sound happy and you brought up so many interesting facets of TKR recovery.
:goodpost:

I am so glad your visit with your family went well, and that they were gracious enough to leave after 2 hours. It's hard to imagine that you are ready to have your staples removed already, on Monday!! Where did the time go. Soon you will be walking like a champ, with two new knees. On the one hand I am a little envious, but on the other hand I know I am just not as brave as you are to do both so close together.

I haven't watched any TV shows since my surgery (because I normally don't watch much TV); but I just thought I'd chime in and mention how relaxing it is to listen to OLD music on youtube, and by that I mean music from "my day". Early Motown, Buddy Holly, the Kinks, The Everly Brothers, the BeeGees, the Beach Boys, Neil Sedaka, James Taylor, Joni Mitchell, I could go on. The reader can adjust the timeframe to whatever era they remember fondly from youth. There are a million playlists like that on Youtube and what a great way to drift off to sleep when napping.

As for frozen meals, I made 20 and really did not need more than about a dozen. I ate a few more on days when I didn't really need them, but felt lazy. I still have 3-4 in the freezer.

I know what you mean about being in bed and wanting to be in the recliner, knitting. In my case, it's sort of the opposite. Lately I have been thinking about sleeping in bed at night again, instead of my recliner. :sleep:

Last edited:
Wow...so much going on! I just caught up with youy thread. I'm so glad you got a visit with your dad & it sounds like it was planned so well. You seem to be doing great & that service with your os is really cool. How reassuring to get feedback like that! Are you still having trouble with itching? I hope not!

I'm a sensitive person too - an empath - it sure can be exhausting sensing the feelings of people around you! I find I'm friends with people who don't like each other & that can drive me a little crazy. I often want to mediate but that never goes well...mostly I just listen & let it go. My big struggle is with my kids. It hurts me when they hurt each other & I have a really hard time letting them work things out.

Anyway...
Glad things are mostly going good for you!!
:loveshwr:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom