• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

THR LupyHippie June 14 Recovery

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Hi @Lupyhippie
You will just have to take all this one at a time or it does get overwhelming.
Really early days and things will level out soon.
Guesss I’m not being a very good PT bc I just see so many things that I need to do bc ppl are going to be coming into my house.
Ignore most of it if you can...you just had major surgery. Your friends and family don't expect it to be perfect.
And my husband is just yelling at me every time I move. Its 6am and although l slept I did get very stiff being in one position and need to move. Then he’s all grumpy bc I’m up again
He likely had a stressful time of it...waiting for you while you underwent surgery...worried if all will be okay.
However he will need to get more confident in you also...I could not stay still all night or all day. Just had to move and relocate and get up and move some. All normal but frustrating.

Also my leg lengths seem to be substantially different as well. Will this correct itself bc I jusr don’t want to have to wear those funky shoes.
Many new hippys have this feeling. Check this out.

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/leg-length-differential-lld.6173/
Is it ok to just get up and down and walk to the kitchen ? Open the fridge. ? I know nor to turn sharp and
Sure...especially if you have a walker in case you get a sudden dizzy spell or feel wobbly.
Let hubby help when he can so he'll feel better and in a few days you will likely be more steady.

All normal recovery aggravations, so stay calm and patient.
All temporary with a great payoff!:tada:

OP
OP
Lupyhippie

Lupyhippie

Country
Where do I find the things that you post on ppls questions like what you should be doing by weeks etc. also this sitting is a real problem
Bc I can’t find a way to sit where it doesn’t feel like it’s pulling on my incision. I’m
Sitting in a staples office chair. Should o lay down in the bed instead bc then my back hurts. Where is the best way to sit. I’m going to go back and look at the photos that were posted here. I think I’ve tried all of those. But my incision pulls. And these TEDS do I wear them 24/7 for how long ?

SE Florida

post-grad
Country
@lupyhippy, the post you are looking for with all the recovery info is from Layla. It's the 3rd post in your thread. You'll see several links and one is "Activity Progression for THRs" that shows when/what by number of post op weeks. The OS or hospital should've told you about wearing the TEDS. It's different with every OS. Mine were to be worn all day and taken off at night for 6 weeks. You may want to call the OS office to find out to be on the safe side. It might take a day or 2 to find what's comfortable for you when sitting or laying......it gets better each day. Hang in there, get your rest and keep the ice on :ice: You'll do great! :flwrysmile:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Good Morning and Happy Monday :wave:
Please take a deep b-r-e-a-t-h. Find a comfy quiet place to sit, or lay down, with an ice pack and read the Recovery Guidelines in their entirety. Possibly I'm reading you wrong but you're coming across rather panic striken over the whole thing and you really don't need to be. Otherwise, you're used to being very active and are having a problem being held back. Please take this time for, yourself. It's about, YOU, just experiencing major surgery, an assault / trauma to your body that you need to slowly heal and recover from.

Phone the office of your OS to speak with a member of his care team about the TEDS or any other concerns you have currently. Then try to take a happy nappy...or two. :yawn: :sleep: It's early days, I'm sure you'll quickly fall into a routine. I have every confidence you will.

Following is the Activity Progression for THR that you inquired about -
http://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

Wishing you comfort and a peaceful day as you begin the journey.
@Lupyhippie

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lupyhippie

Lupyhippie

Country
2 weeks post op and I am DEFINITELY NOT frustrated but for some reason I am unable to change this negative Thread title, bummer. I initially changed my first title, but now it won't do it.

Anyway, things are going great if anyone else has a date around 6-14 I would love to see your posts as well. The pain really went away around Day 6 or so. BUT I took the advice from this forum and did NOT overdo it. I just hung out, watched TV, drank lots of water, and took naps as needed. My PT came 3x a week per my drs orders but instead of doing the exercises twice a day, I only did them once a day on the days she came those first two weeks. Today was my first day to walk twice (moderate amount) and do the mild exercise sets twice. I am still swollen and can not even think about sleeping on that right side, but the relief of being able to sleep on my left side has been great. I am religiously using ice packs (Love these big strap on ones I got on Amazon) (ice was a great tip from this site)

How many weeks off from work do most folks take that have an "active" job? I am an RN on an incredibly busy floor. My FITBIT normally shows 11000 steps at the end of most days. I had planned to take 12 weeks but now am worried that I am progressing so quickly that my dr is going to want me to go back at 8 weeks. This would be fine EXCEPT our summer vacation was weeks 10/11 and I have NO vacation time left if I go back. SO I may need to stop progressing at least in their eyes. LOL.
Thank goodness for this site as it kept me realistic and definitely out of the "Overdid It Club".

Lisa

Last edited:

SE Florida

post-grad
Country
@Lupyhippie It sounds like you're doing very well with your recovery. If we tag @Layla, she will be able to change your title if you let her know what you want it to be. As far as work, the forum moderators recommend a phased return at 10 to 12 weeks and I found this link for you:

https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/phased-return-to-work.5696/

I'm happy to hear that you're staying out of the ODIC! :flwrysmile:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Good Morning Lisa,
Happy to read you're doing well. We're cautioned against comparing recoveries but we all seem to anyway :heehee:
Following is the list of June surgeries from the pre-op side -
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/2019-june-sunbeams-are-you-having-hip-surgery-in-june.52785/
You can look to see who had surgery around the same time as you and check on their progress, or send well wishes. I can't imagine recovery without my BoneSmart buds who were limping through it with me.
Sweet memories for sure.
Have a great Sunday! :wave:
@Lupyhippie

OP
OP
Lupyhippie

Lupyhippie

Country
Hi everyone,

It will be 4 weeks tomorrow and I’m now having to be SUPER careful because I do not even feel as if I had surgery !!! My hone PT ended last week (I was glad as I knew what to do by that time). So I’m still doing those exercises as I do need to be stronger to go back to work. I’ve been walking 2-3 times a da and I’m up to a mile I think once. Then a little shorter the next two. Just a leisurely stroll w my cane although it’s only there if I feel unsteady or walk on the grass (I’m walking on a golf course).

It’s nice to finally see the list of June folks - there’s a lot of us. I hope everyone is doing well and remember to rest when you need it. My husband thinks and acts as if I’m “back to normal” but I know what to do which is sleep when I’m tired and sit when I need to rest. And I still ice, ice, ice. I do not have pain except maybe a dull ache at night that I take Tylenol. Except for there’s been a few times I walked too much and my Lower back hurts but I’ve applied heat. Then ice and rested and all was better. I still feel as if my right leg (operative side) is longer than my left but the dr said it was not so maybe this “feeling” will go away.

Probably my only worry is that he will want me to go back to work at m 6 week appointment but I want to stay out 12 because of our strategically timed noncancellable vacation. I will have the “talk” with him at this appt and remind him I click on at 12 to 15000 steps per shift at work at the hospital and I have to be able to stand/walk for long periods without sitting and to lift heavy patients in/out beds. That’s a lot I still need to train for.
More June People post !!! @Layla can you please change my thread title to :LupyHippie 6-14 Recovery. (I’m no longer frustrated ). Thanks !!

Lisa

OP
OP
Lupyhippie

Lupyhippie

Country
When did you all start bathing again ? I’m DYING for my soak. The OS said “when the incision is healed” (he’s always so vague). I assume that means when it’s not open and it’s not anymore that I can see/feel. I’m 4 weeks Friday. When did other ppls OS tell them it’s ok to get in the bathtub again ?

Thanks.

mikeycat

graduate
Country
Canada Canada
I could only shower when the incisions were dry which took over 2 weeks. I did not have the waterproof bandages because I think OS wanted the visiting nurse to observe and change bandages daily. As for a bath from the booklet I had which is dated it was 6 months but as I am seeing OS next week and he is liberal and very confident in his work I assume all restrictions will be lifted.But no matter for me as I m a shower person. You had quite a go of it but now it appears that things are moving quite smoothly for you.

Going4fun

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I wouldn't worry about your doctor "forcing" you to return at 6 weeks. I was still on a cane at 6 weeks, but I could have gone back to work if absolutely required. Wouldn't have been fun ... and keep in mind ... that walking around even twice a day at home ... is totally different from getting up EVERY day and dressing for work, commuting to work, enduring the pressures and responsibilities of work ... and coming home and being able to function. Hip surgery notoriously creates fatigue as we are recovering.

That back pain and even that sense of leg length discrepancy is enough for you to continue to stay off. There were times when I thought my operated leg was shorter ... then I thought it was longer ... it was neither ... just adjustment that took place over time.

I'm a teacher, and I got 12 weeks ... actually 13 weeks--really 90 days. I was worried like you were worried, but in my case, the doctor (his nurse) sent the official note of disability to my work calling for 12 weeks off. I'm sure your work has that same note, right? ... Very unlikely doctor is going to hand you a note and demand you to return earlier than the 12 weeks. Enjoy your time off. I certainly did.

And I will tell you: you still have aches and pains to come ... trust me, I'd love for you to be past all aches and pains and soreness. Very few of us reach that point in less than a month. Some people get lucky and have super-fast recoveries ... but I swear I've sometimes seen those folks later write that they returned to work too soon, thinking they were stronger than they were.

Assume you're going to have the full 12 weeks ... go into the appointment with that attitude and feeling comfortable asking for it. Likely may not come up.

Oh, I could wash immediately ... just didn't want me to rub on the incision for ... can't remember ... a few weeks? Every surgeon has a different protocol.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave:Great to see such an encouraging update...we will get your thread title changed...
My husband thinks and acts as if I’m “back to normal” but I know what to do which is sleep when I’m tired and sit when I need to rest. And I still ice, ice, ice. I do not have pain except maybe a dull ache at night that I take Tylenol. Except for there’s been a few times I walked too much and my Lower back hurts but I’ve applied heat. Then ice and rested and all was better.
This is how I did it..and now that the incision is healing fine and you are getting more mobile...the restorative down time when necessary is what is giving you good results...all about the balance, right?

I do hope OS gives you some more time...that energy drain is real and lots of heating still happening.
Pat yourself in the back... you are doing very well. :tada:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope you've enjoyed a nice weekend.
Can you believe it's been a month already, or does it seem longer?
Either way, you're making progress and moving in the right direction.
A great week to you!
@Lupyhippie

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Sure hope you're doing well. We'd love to read an update if you care to share next time you're on the forum.
I hope all is well and you're enjoying the Summer.
Best wishes as you continue the journey!
@Lupyhippie

Top Bottom