BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[THR] LupyHippie June 14 Recovery

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by Lupyhippie, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Lupyhippie

Lupyhippie new member

United States United States
    Hello, this is my first post but I thought I would go ahead and post here since
    I’m under tomorrow.

My background is that I have lupus and antiphospholipid syndrome so the steroids I was on caused issues as well as the lupus itself causing osteoarthritis and avascular necrosis. I thought over a year ago it was the normal aches and pains of lupus but when a very bright coworker mentioned “it’s not bilateral pain it’s unilateral maybe you need an xray” (I’m a nurse in a busy cancer center so we always diagnose each other lol).

So here I am. This site is wonderful and after reading so many posts I thought it was only fitting that I should contribute to others who might have similar problems.

I do have some concerns however. I tested for MSSA and due to the fact I’m on weekly injection (Biologics) for lupus, I am immuno-compromised. I was out of town (living my last weekend in pain in New Orleans) and did not start the Bactroban and Hibiclens showers until yesterday (vs the 5 days they said to do).

I’m really worried about surgical site infections. Are there any more precautions I should take? In addition since APS is a clothing disorder I’m worried about blood clots. The PS is starting Lovenox (only because the Hematolgist told him to, thank goodness). I know the exercises etc. but still it’s a concern.

My final question is with regards to elevation. My favourite place is a deep sofa which I know is a no-no but I’ve rigged up some pillows. I’m going to try and post a photo. Please tell me if this looks good ? I’m thinking maybe I still need another pillow under my hip? Thoughts comments?

Because of the threads on this site, I have cancelled PT (which my OS did NOT recommend anyway). And will take it slow and easy because I always push too hard.

Thanks for the great info. I’ll post more when my head clears after surgery.

Lisa

Right THR posterior. 6/14/19

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Cecropia

Cecropia graduate

Wishing you well through your surgery.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  3. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hi, Welcome to BoneSmart! Thanks for the kind words in regard to the forum. We're glad you joined us.
    I'm sorry about the journey that brought you here, but the good news is, there's a solution! You're going to love the result that this wonderful surgery delivers.

I really feel since you didn't follow the direction of your OS in relation to the nasal swabbing and anti bacterial shower you need to communicate with them today and see how they advise. I did swab with the Mupirocin for the five days prior to surgery as I was directed, but the Hibiclens was only advised for the night before surgery and then again the morning of.

If you follow your surgeon's protocol on infection and blood plot prevention, as directed, you should be okay. Please read the Recovery Guidelines below while you're still clear headed and you will notice photos in the article "Elevate" which show the most effective way to elevate.

Wishing you comfort and all the best tomorrow. We'll look forward to an update when you're feeling up to it.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
    1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
    2. Control discomfort:
    rest
    elevate
    ice
    take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​
    3. Do what you want to do BUT
    a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you
    b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.
    4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these
    5. At week 4 and after you should follow this
    6. Access to these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
    Healing: how long does it take?
    Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
    Energy drain for THRs
    Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key

Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it

Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
    Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask the at each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice. @Lupyhippie

• Like Like x 1
  4. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I edited your photo to show the correct elevation - it's 'toes above nose'! I drew a line to show that you need another few inches elevation on your foot and lower leg. As you can see, your lower leg is horizontal and not at all elevated.

luipie.jpeg

Here are better examples

elevate 3-horz.jpg

And as for the anti bacterial shower, that is not just a fad but a serious attempt to reduce the incidence of MRSA in hospitals. It's actually not for your protection but that of the hospital and ward environment. And most definitely you should ring the hospital and ask them what to do now.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. HipsterKat

HipsterKat member

@Lupyhippie, welcome and hope all goes well with your surgery! Give us an update when you are all done.

I second Josephine’s comment that the couch does not seem to provide enough elevation. Also (and I know this from experience) low mushy couches are really difficult to get out of post-surgery.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Lupyhippie

Lupyhippie new member

My post title should have had my name and recovery sorry. And I typed DaY -1 but it didn’t recognize the minus. Oh well. thanks for kind words and introductions. I did not mean “fad” related to MRSA showers. More the “protocol and I do know all about it. We just were not in town when the hospital called w MSSA+ results and called bactroban in. I just used extra the last two days and took 3 hihicebz vs 2. I did Follow your advice and let everyone know as well today. They were not worried bc it’s MSSA not MRSA So they ran Vanco during surgery this am to be on safeside. Thanks for good advice.

So Now that the surgery is over I’m actually LOLing at the thought that I would just be up and about! Jokes on me bc OH MAN WAS THIS ROUGH!! I’m a teeny bit better here 6 hours later but woke up in PACU in tears actually. Disoriented, frightened in pain. And the pain really got bad. I have a high threshold so I was TOTALLY surprised it HURTS !! AND I just found out they are sending me home in the morning !!! Yikes !!!!
    Working at a cancer center I’m used to providing good quality opioids but the OS has already DCd the Dilaudid and I really need it !! IMO. I knew the Nocturnist so I think she may give me. One time dose. I have alarm set to ring during night for the 4hour Norco. And the have tramadol schedule q8. I did have a dose of TORADOL and plan on having another in 8 hrs.

One concern, are leg cramps commo? Mine are crampng and my surgical calf feels like a Charlie horse I do have continuous SCDs. Could this be a blood clot already? I just told the nurse who says it doesn’t feel tight but idk ? She increased the squeeze of the SCDz so we shall see.

Please someone tell me the day of Is the worst day please. I need to look forward to something and I’m just still in SHOCK I hurt this bad and literally can’t stand From chair without excruciating pain.

Thanks Lisa

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  7. Lupyhippie

Lupyhippie new member

Well we just tried to stand me up again. I made it but it was SO DIFFICULT !! Is this normal. I’m an athlete (or was) and now I need help to stand ?? Is this normal ? When can I expect it to go away ? How long will I back go
    LIFT my leg ???

While standing I also stretchEd my calf out whicg is good. After sitting back down the Charley horse pain has started again. But I just took meds and will try to sleep

Thanking anyone in advance that can help.

Lisa.
    Tired and frustrated

8. Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan senior

@Lupyhippie I am so sorry to read about your tough start. I am sure the mods will be along soon to give you the benefit of their been-there-done-that experience. With that said, I have seen many posters report they have to request ice when they’re in the hospital, and that it helps a great deal with pain as well as inflammation. Posters also report that it can take more than one try to get the pain medication “cocktail” just right - please be persistent until you get relief. Everyone’s reaction to pain and pain medication is different and it’s very important to keep trying until you find a combination that works for you.

9. Lupyhippie

Lupyhippie new member

Still having trouble rising up. It hurts SO BAD. Once up I’m ok. Did others have same experience ?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:hi: and so sorry that you are struggling.:sad:
    You have to engage alot of those sore traumatized muscles to get from prone to upright. Everything is super sore and stressed right now.
    Are they providing you some ice?
    I don't think they have those meds quite worked out but - yes, the first days can be quite jarring.
    There is a "log leg" effect that is also quite common.
    Very early days and all needs to just settle. Try to relax and know we have all been there...all temporary!
    Healing hugs coming your way.:console2:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

@Lupyhippie, so sorry you are having a rough start. It's not uncommon to have the pain until they figure out the right med cocktail for you. It doesn't sound like they have that down yet. Make sure they're aware of your concerns before they release you. With the problem you're having with standing, it's possible you may have to stay another day. And as Mojo333 said, definitely ask for ice, you really, really need that. Hoping you get some relief this a.m., keep us posted when you can. We'll be looking for you! :console2:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  12. Icespirit5

Icespirit5 junior member

@Lupyhippie
    Heu Im sorry youre having such a rough start to things. I just had mine done the day before you and I agree it is no picnic. Waking up in the PACU in excruciating pain is not fun. I can totally relate.
    I am having a lot of trouble with getting up and sitting too. I had someone reccomend a muscle relaxer cause the muscles are probably really tight. Just try to stay on top of your pain and base it on time the prescription says to take it. Im off narcotics at the moment and just taking a blend of Tylenol and ibuprofen. That has made a huge difference for me just mentality wise, but if you are still in so much pain it can't hurt to ask for more narcotics (they had given me oxycodone). I may have to take some more later, but my ears have stopped humming from it so I'm content with that.
    Again, rising and sitting has been better for me until proabably today and late last night, so it may just take some time for you too.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

@Lupyhippie, I hope you're doing better this afternoon! :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

:wave: :welome:Welcome to the bright side, even though it may not feel that way currently.
    Sorry for the rough start. Best news it's only temporary and with lots of rest, icing /elevation, patience and well managed pain...you'll be on your way. We're all rooting for you! :yay:
    Wishing you comfort.
    @Lupyhippie

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Lupyhippie

Lupyhippie new member

Hi everyone. I’m soooooo much better. It’s 48 hours exactly since my surgery. I just did my first PT walked the block and he said I’m doiNg as well as anyone that has gotten up prior to this (on the first and 2nd day) The pain started to subside yesterday however I had some setbacks fr Hypovolemia and low hgb and constipation which had my BP low, dizzy, and general feeling bad. But after a unit of blood, negative ultrasound for clots and the laxatives kicked in a lil too much relieving that awful bloating but I was up every hour all night. Other than fatigue I feel way Btr today and have only hadTramadol until my 2nd PT session which I then needed Toradol IV before I go home in an hour or so. My hemoglobin and BP are still lower than normal but home health is coming tomorrow so we will recheck everything again. It’s gpne up a little fr yesterday.

I’m scared of all the precautions and scared I’ll go too fast but maybe if I don’t feel great it will slow me down. Happy to see the big dogs but will have to make sure they don’t knock me down. But sleeping in my own bed will be great.
    Thanks again for being such a great resource. I donated a little so we can keep this site open for others. I showed it to the PT and he liked it also. He’s on the same page. Has me doing all the initial beginning exercises IN MODERATION except heel slides. He doesn’t want me to do these for a week. Just wants me to walk inside the house 3x if I’m able. Then start adding. Nice. To hear the same advice. If it hurts then it’s too much. Stop.

Good luck to others in this process. Sorry we don’t get to ski any,ore but that’s a small price to pay. I have many other things I can do.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Who says we can't ski. Never mind - that comes later. Don't worry about any restrictions. Your new hip will probably let you know when you have gone too far.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. alexthecat

alexthecat MODERATOR Administrator

I've been skiing for years post-THR. There's no reason not to, if that's what you want to do. Just give your hip a chance to recover first.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

@Lupyhippie Good to see you're home and things are better for you today! It's a good time to just rest and maybe read Layla's post again on Recovery Guidelines when you're up to it. Great info on rest, meds, ice and elevating. And I agree with posts above, don't worry about the things you don't think you'll do again. I can do things now that I haven't been able to do for years before surgery because of the pain. Wishing you a good night's sleep in your own bed! :flwrysmile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. HipsterKat

HipsterKat member

Great attitude! I am very much looking forward to skiing again. Maybe not this coming winter, but definitely the one after that!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Lupyhippie

Lupyhippie new member

So I’m home. Guesss I’m not being a very good PT bc I just see so many things that I need to do bc ppl are going to be coming into my house. And my husband is just yelling at me every time I move. Its 6am and although l slept I did get very stiff being in one position and need to move. Then he’s all grumpy bc I’m up again. I’m orettty freaked out bc I’m not sure I understand all the rules and am afraid I will
    Do something wrong. I can’t find a good chair to sit in this one is too high. This one is too low. And I’m not sure my posture is right. Also my leg lengths seem to be substantially different as well. Will this correct itself bc I jusr don’t want to have to wear those funky shoes.

I’m going to spend my time right now going back over the articles on this forum I only had one day of PT. So I will go into my person today if home health is not coming

Is it ok to just get up and down and walk to the kitchen ? Open the fridge. ? I know nor to turn sharp and bend.

I guess I’ll start w the article on depression now lol. Thanks for the feedback.
    Lisa

• Friendly Friendly x 1