BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[TKR] Luluk's recovery thread

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Recovery Area' started by Luluk, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Luluk

Luluk new member

United States United States
    I had a right TKR three years ago this July. Knee has always continued to be painful. I have been back to the surgeons complaining of pain 3-4 times and he says he doesn't know why it hurts. He has recommended Tylenol, straight leg raises, Meloxicam.
    So has anyone had continuous pain, even though the xrays look great?

We are now talking about replacing the left knee and he has said I might do something different to prevent the problem you are having with right TKR. Which implies of course, he does have an idea of what's wrong!

I've been wondering if too much range of motion is too much of a good thing. I have so much bend in my knee even the surgeon is astonished.

2. sistersinhim

sistersinhim FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Some of us do still have some pain years out from our TKR. Mine is one of them, but it is better than before the surgery, so I'm happy about that. I am going to tag @Josephine, our forum director and nurse to address your questions.

3. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    How much Tylenol did he tell you to take - and how often?
    Also Meloxicam - how much and how often
    I wouldn't do SLRs.

Depends what you mean by 'too much'. What is your ROM currently?

4. Luluk

Luluk new member

He didn't specify dosing of the Tylenol, so i just followed dosing on the bottle.

Why wouldn't you do SLR?

He prescribed one 7.5 mg daily of meloxicam.
    He recommended one then the other, a few months apart, not simultaneously.
    I stopped the meloxicam a few months ago, having gotten worried about long term side effects.

Truthfully, my complaints about my right TKR has been overshadowed by the pain and disability of the left knee, which is now scheduled for replacement in July. So I have stopped pursuing why my operated knee still hurts so much, because the other knee is going downhill quickly.

In addition, my right shoulder had a TSR 2 years ago, and now my other shoulder is painful and crunchy.
    I am a mess!

It's been so long since my ROM was measured I don't remember the numbers. But I think it is as good as is humanly possible to get. Both the surgeon and the PT were astonished. The PT never saw a ROM this good. But somewhere I read something about a spacer in the knee being too thin causing too much ROM. Which made me wonder if that was a source of pain.

I would like to go back to surgeon again and say 'it STILL hurts'. I imagine him saying I can't do anything about it now, because the other knee is worse!

One sensation I have in this knee (the already replaced one) is burning when it is still and extended. I thought burning was an arthritis symptom. He said arthritis is all gone, it was removed.

Well as I said, I'm a mess.

5. Josephine

Josephine FORUM ADMIN, NURSE DIRECTOR Administrator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well I suggest you take 1,000mgs 4 times a day.
    I suggest you read this BoneSmart philosophy for sensible post op therapy