THR Lucy's Recovery

@Layla Thank you so much. That's some great information. I will be traveling with another sister, which makes me feel a lot better. And I'll definitely try to heed the advice about getting up every 20 minutes or so. It's an overnight flight, but I've never been able to sleep on planes or trains.
Thanks for the encouraging words @VSlowLife. My sister loves to sing hymns. When we were changing her colostomy bag during my last visit we always sang one verse of "For All the Saints" while we waited for her stoma to dry. Sounds crazy, but always made her smile.

Sounds like you have a comforting way of dealing with your sister’s care. Glad to hear you have another sister to travel with you, to make the journey easier on you, especially after this surgery. :friends:

:hi:@HipLucy
I think you will also see alot of improvement in how you feel over the next few weeks...so hopefully the long plane ride will not be too hard on you.
Prayers for you and your sister. :praying:

Hopefully 2020 will be good to you.
:cheers2:

Thanks @VSlowLife. I hope I can be a comfort to her, which will make the trip worthwhile. And thank you too @Mojo333. I am encouraged that you think I'll see big improvements in the coming weeks. I am healing, but not as quickly as many people.

I did it! At 11 weeks I finally managed to put my socks and shoes on and tie my shoes! This is a huge accomplishment for me. Until now I have been wearing sneakers with elastic laces. I'll probably use the elastic laces when I go to London at the end of the month because of airport security. I have TSA precheck and didn't have to remove my shoes or my laptop from my backpack when going through security here on my last trip, but you never know.

If you travel much at all the TSA Pre program or Global Entry are a bargain. I went with Global Entry and it cost $100 for 5 years and makes reentering the country much faster and easier and I'm ALWAYS TSA Pre. It's saved me from really long security lines several times even if I have to go through the mili wave machine instead of the metal detector with all my new replacement parts. :heehee:

Thanks @FCBayern. I do have Global Entry too, and you're right it does make things easier here in the United States. I've also ordered wheelchair assistance for the first time. London immigration was awful last time I went. I waited in line forever. I can't imagine that a wheelchair attendant will wait an hour and a half in an immigration line. Oh well, I have some big bills to tip these people on both sides of the Atlantic. I doubt they're very well paid.

12 weeks
I am able to do so much more now. I walk without support, but like many others here keep the cane around me just in case. I can walk much faster with it. I've heard you shouldn't be dependent on the cane. Any thoughts? I plan to take it to London, because the sidewalks there are treacherous. I'm still getting a lot of startup pain, but I guess you just have to wait that out.

I always believe it is better to be safe than sorry. Sidewalks can be difficult plus may have many people walking quickly bumping into you. I do not think it is a matter of dependence but safety and prevention. Do what makes you feel safer and comfortable.

I agree with @leejaa, I would take the cane just as a safety precaution. And, if you're traveling you may tire easily and the came would be good to have handy.

Hello Hip Lucy :wave:
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
I hope you have a lovely week.

I plan to take it to London, because the sidewalks there are treacherous

Yes, take the cane. It's a clear signal to others to give you space.
Enjoy your trip to London in two weeks. Safe travels to you! Please update us upon your return. We'd love to hear all about it.

Thanks for the anniversary wishes @Layla. At three months I'm not quite where I hoped I'd be. My hip is very stiff in the morning, and I have startup pain after I've been seated, even if not for very long. I finally removed the raised toilet seat, since I knew I'd have to get used to regular toilets, given my coming trip to London. Sitting down is fine, but I have to brace myself to get up. On a positive note, which may perhaps encourage someone, I seem to be gaining the ability to go longer without peeing. I can put on my shoes and socks, even pantyhose.

It's those little things in life that you never give a thought to, until you can't do them. Putting shoes and socks on is awesome and I'm in awe that you can put on pantyhose! I gave up on them years ago, do the thigh highs now! :egypdance:

The morning stiffness seems to be one of the common things we all have.

Putting on shoes and sock is huge. It was very humbling for me to have to rely on my wife to help me every morning. Luckily I have a really good one. :angel:

I am at 6 and a 1/2 months and I still fight the hip stiffness! But after I am up and moving around a few minutes, look out! In fact I was walking the dog tonight and thinking that if I never improve from where I am right now? I would still be so happy with my hip.
Congratulations on your progress, putting on shoes and socks is big. the long times in between pee breaks is pretty nice too. :loveshwr:

At three months I'm not quite where I hoped I'd be. My hip is very stiff in the morning, and I have startup pain after I've been seated, even if not for very long
This was the same for me. I would have to look back on my recovery thread, but it was very much a concern of mine for well up to 6 months.
We often have different timelines so this may not sound overly encouraging, but All Normal now...
So keep the faith friend.
Lots of improvements for up to a year and beyond :ok:

:hi: Hi and a Happy Wednesday to you, HipLucy.
Thanks for the update.
Yay for putting on socks and shoes and less trips to the bathroom!
I'll add to the chorus that stiffness at this point in Recovery is quite common.
Give it time, you're still fairly early into the healing process.
Hope your day is bright and sunny. :SUNsmile:
@HipLucy

15 weeks tomorrow and some victories to report. I took my beloved raised toilet seat off at 12 weeks. Sitting down is no problem; actually it's a pretty good way to practice squatting, but until last week I was unable to get up without bracing myself either on the tank or on the seat. A couple of times, though, I was able to rise unassisted. Have no idea why. For the past month I have found PT very helpful, so I'm sorry to have to give it up. I leave for London Wednesday evening. I am scheduled to return April 1, but when you are dealing with someone who is terminally ill, schedules go out the window. My wonderful therapist gave me two new resistance bands: one for now, and one for next month. At this point clamshells, bridges, side-stepping with bands, and leg raises really feel good. I also practice standing on one leg, and my balance is much improved. I was in great aerobic shape before surgery, but I feel that the PT is helping me gain strength and stability. I can't imagine having done these exercises in the early weeks, though.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back