THR Lucy's Recovery

Good to hear how you managed your first day at work.
You did well and I’m sure it did feel good to try things out.
Now you know you can manage it, when needed.
Glad you are home for the next few days though.

Getting dressed and getting there were the hard part

:hi: @HipLucy
I think we simply envision ourselves in the workplace without imagining the time and energy it takes to get there. Testing the waters was most likely beneficial since it showed you what you're capable of at this point in time. Naturally with rest, healing and the passage of time, you'll be able to handle more. Thankfully you seem open to taking it slow which is wise as you don't want to stall the headway you're making by spending time in the ODIC (Over Did It Club) Continue to let your body be your guide, just as you have, and you'll make the type of progress you're hoping for.
I hope you have a wonderful Wednesday and a great rest of the week! :)

Thanks, oh wise Layla. You do know what you're talking about. I don't know why I'm listening to the voices saying, "When are you going back to work?" I'm letting my pride get the best of me.

Hahaha! You're sweet....if only my adult children thought I was wise, lol.
If you're able to have more time off, maybe you could consider waiting until right after the holidays, or at least scale any time you spend at work way back until then. It's easy to get wrapped up in all the hustle and bustle of Christmas, making time pass quickly. At that point you'll be 10-11 weeks post op and will probably find tackling the work day less daunting.

I have every confidence you'll take good care of yourself and take it slow. Soon enough you'll be back at work and one day wondering "hmm, why was it that I was in a hurry to get back here?" That's aside from a pay check of course. :wink:
I hope you have a peaceful evening and a lovely Thursday.:)
@HipLucy

Just a quick word on how much I'm enjoying physical therapy. I went to the Kaiser gym today and did some gentle squats, worked on balance, practiced stairs. None of it is painful, but when my therapist put two-pound weights on my ankles I got a little out of breath. The best thing is that I walk with more confidence after I'm done and actually feel less pain than when I began the session. I like that the therapists work closely with the surgeons. That's something I really like about the HMO model.

Hi @HipLucy :hi:
I don't want to be the Debbie Downer of your thread, truly, I only want to see you have a slow, steady, uneventful recovery and a return to living without pain.

Please be careful with the ankle weights, or resistance bands while in PT.
It worries me that the effect caused you to feel breathless. This is your recovery to do your your way, but please don't engage in any thing that hurts or causes you any type of discomfort.
Following is an article on PT for you to read if interested -

You're doing so well. Please continue to take it easy and proceed with caution.

Wishing you a peaceful evening and a lovely weekend. Thanks for updating!

You're Not a DD, Layla, just the voice of reason. I will be careful. I guess what I meant about being breathless is that I used to love to work out, walk fast, always take the stairs, and--yes--get out of breath. It just felt good to be workin it after a year of excruciating pain that limited me so much. But I do listen. I will be prudent

Hi @HipLucy Just checking in a reading your updates. You are probably staring to get anxious to do more. I am so glad the excruciating pain in behind you. Slow and steady friend. My tired mind is trying to calculate weeks, seems like around 3 months lots of things become easier just be cautious. Wishing you a relaxing weekend. Look forward to getting to know you better here. Such a great group. Take care. Sarah

How I appreciate your support @Fit4Family! Yes, I'm looking forward to the three-month mark. Lots of people here don't seem to have any restrictions, but I am under them for three months. And I am obedient. Thanks again for stopping by, Sarah.

Mind those restrictions @HipLucy You are almost there. ❤️

Went all the way back to your beginning this morning. Forgot lots so I am making lists. Pumpkin purée anyone?? Sounds like we are neighbors of sorts. We live in burbs of VA. We also share a love of tights and skirts. I work from home, so my tights are the athletic sort now. Will really miss them this next go around. I am always cold so they are a comfort. You will truly see improvements after three and four month marks. The muscle tone for me was a definite improvement around then and just incision area feeling like my own body you know? Be careful with working. I still find my darn computer area the culprit of screaming muscles. Take frequent breaks. Circulation is the key for healing soft tissue. Happy Saturday!

@Fit4Family
Today I hit the 8-week mark, which means the magic 12-week restriction lift is just around the corner. I'm so glad you're a tights and skirts lover. So is my soon-to-be daughter-in-law. You live in Northern Virginia, eh? Must be something in the water. Right after my surgery in October it was still warm and I pulled my dresses over my head lickety split. Only needed the dressing stick for my underpants. Thanks for the advice on working. It's so tempting to go back to my old ways.

At eight weeks I lost a filling and had to see my dentist. I followed my surgeon's instructions and took four 500 mg capsules of amoxicillin one hour before the procedure. I know there's some controversy over this. My surgeon is very conservative about everything. It may be her age (50s). She absolutely forbids showering for the first two weeks and is very proud of her very low infection rate.
And today I'm feeling so good I'm ready to do whatever she says. I went across the street to lunch with my sister and sat on her zafu meditation cushion. It is the perfect height and appears to be filled with something natural and firm, so you don't sink down. Amazon sells these, and I highly recommend. It's nice looking and even has a handle for carrying.

Hi @HipLucy
Eight weeks yesterday and two months on Saturday so I'll wish you a Happy Two Month Anniversary now. You've come a long way and you're doing well!
Too bad about the tooth emergency, but it's good you had it taken care of. I'm happy to hear you enjoyed a lunch with your sister afterward. I'll have to look up the cushion you mentioned and see if it may be something to pass on to Admin as a consideration for our Recovery Articles.
Happy Tuesday...enjoy the day! :wave:

Thanks for the anniversary wishes, Layla. I can feel my flexibility increasing and now feel comfortable loading and unloading the lower rack of the dishwasher using the golfer's reach. I'm anxious to ride a city bus again, and eventually the Metro. As I've mentioned before I don't own a car. Until I developed arthritis I walked several miles to work every day and did all my grocery shopping on foot. The bus company said the priority seats are 18.75 inches high, which seems doable. Is this a question for my surgeon? As I prepare to reenter the world I'm not sure where to go with questions like these.

Good question about the seat height.. If it were me I would find a chair in your home that measures that exact height, if you can. Try sitting and rising from it and see if it breaks any of your restrictions for a posterior approach.
I commend you for the lifestyle you've used. I have a few clients who do the same and they all are in such good shape.
Of course, if in any doubt the OS office should be called.
So glad to read here that you continue to do so well!
@HipLucy

Good advice, @CricketHip. I think my recliner is about that height, but I'll double-check. Those are kind words about the walking lifestyle, but I think it's been more beneficial for my mental than my physical health. When I was younger I biked everywhere, but distracted drivers opening their parked car doors gave me one too many scares. When I was young I had nerves of steel, but no longer.

Hi @HipLucy
My grandmother was an avid walker and she lived one month past her 100th birthday. We all believe all the walking she did throughout her life contributed to her longevity on some level. Hopefully you reap the same benefits through your diligence.

I measured the seats on my dining chairs which I used early on into my recovery and they are eighteen inches high. I was definitely sitting on them regularly by two months post op. The only thing about the bus is that it can sometimes jostle you around and be a bumpy ride, but I'm sure you're familiar with any route you travel frequently and whether that applies.

Unless your under some type of restrictions for Posterior and you find it uncomfortable sitting on a dining height chair (assuming that height is pretty standard) I don't see why you couldn't give a bus ride a try. Navigating the steps of the bus might not feel all that easy least initially. Maybe you should go for a short trip and see how it feels?

If it would make you feel better to get a nod from your surgeon's office, by all means give them a call. I'm sure they'd love to advise.

Have a great evening!

@Layla, aren't you the best to measure your dining room chairs for me! Thank you. I've done the same, and 18.75 is definitely doable. I'll try my maiden voyage on the bus for a short trip to the grocery store when it's not rush hour. Our buses kneel, so stepping on and off shouldn't be a problem. I may wait till after Christmas, though. I have large grocery orders delivered and go to the local market for little things.

Hello and Happy Friday!
Let us know how it goes once you take your maiden voyage on the bus.
It's great we can have groceries delivered if need be. I don't make use of that service often but I have during a couple of extremely cold stretches in winters past.

I hope you have a nice weekend @HipLucy
Hugs :friends:

Happy Two Month Anniversary!
I hope your weekend is starting off well and you can do something special on this milestone day. I did a little shopping this morning and it's getting pretty crazy out there. It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas, as the song goes. Lots of traffic and people everywhere. I hope your day is a peaceful one!
@HipLucy

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom