THR Lucy's Recovery

Woohoo! :happydance:
You sound bright, chipper and re-focused. It's great to hear!
I hope you have a lovely walk and I believe finding a project to work on, something that fulfills you and brings you enjoyment will help pass the time and serve as a healthy diversion in this boring, sometimes slow journey through recovery.
Sending a warm hug your way and wishes for a wonderful Thursday! :)
@HipLucy

A good night's sleep does us wonders and glad the debate helped you drift off! :loll: Whatever it takes!

A project you can work on at home could be a good distraction from recovery. I know it gets hard to take it slow and remain patient but it's worth it in the long run.

Good evening @HipLucy
Your sense of humor is intact. :heehee: That's a good thing in these early days.

I like that you took a shorter walk today and I'm sure it will keep you out of the ODIC.
Sweet dreams, hopefully you sleep well tonight. :yawn: :sleep:

Major accomplishment today: I used my sock aid to put on tights. I like to wear skirts, so tights are an essential part of my wardrobe. When I go to physical therapy I always wear shorts under my skirt, but I can tell it unnerves my physical therapist. It's just so much easier to wear skirts or a dress with the hip precautions.

Congratulations. Another step towards normality - wearing what you like.

Ain't it the truth, @leejaa! I've always loved clothes. Oddly enough my arthritis manifested itself in my ill-fitting clothes before I ever felt any pain. I remember thinking I looked lopsided.

@HipLucy Tights went on with the sock thing a ma jig?! Great! I have some wool tights. Glad to know its possible to wear them after surgery, with restrictions. Good for you, wearing what is comfortable.

Week six was a happy anniversary for me. Things started to turn around Friday, when for the first time I woke up with less pain and stiffness. That day I started outpatient PT at the Kaiser gym. It was challenging but not painful. The best part was the feeling of normal muscle soreness in my underused quads. It felt like the old days after exercising hard, and it eclipsed my hip pain all weekend.

:hi: @HipLucy
I'm happy to read you're doing so well. Please take it easy with PT. Slow and steady so you continue progressing without any setbacks.
You're on your way! :happydance:
Wishing you a Happy Thanksgiving!

Today I count 7 weeks since my surgery. I'm not using the cane at home anymore, but every time I stand up I have to take a deep breath and prepare to walk correctly. Told one of my colleagues that I might go in to the office for a few hours. My main concern is the height of the handicap toilet.

Well it looks like I'm going to my office for the first time tomorrow. Guess I'll stay away from coffee and take my She-wee just in case. Any ideas on how many hours to go on my first day back? I have my own office, so I can do my PT in peace.

Any ideas on how many hours to go on my first day back?

Yes, as little as possible. You're going back earlier than recommended. I'm sure you've read here that taking twelve weeks to heal and then beginning a Phased Return is what's advised for the best result. I also understand not everyone has the luxury of doing so, but it sounds as though you are making a choice to return early.

Please understand that well meaning co-workers will assume that since you're back YOU'RE BACK and most likely act accordingly, possibly putting demands on you which you're not capable of meeting. I'd be more concerned about the exhaustion you may feel by day's end over the height of the toilet in the workplace. I also would advise skipping PT on the days you work until you fully and comfortably adjust to your return. Getting to work, making it through the day and getting back home again can serve as your PT in these still very early weeks of recovery.
Wishing you the best. Let us know how it goes.

That's good advice, Layla. You're right it is a little early. I'll be taking a cab, so that will ease some commuting stress. But you make a good point about colleagues thinking I'M BACK. I appreciate the warning.

Good luck tomorrow @HipLucy ! Pace yourself! If tomorrow is too much, admit it and get yourself back home.
You mentioned PT.. would you consider not doing the PT tomorrow? Just getting dressed and to work and then working will be PT enough.
I'm just trying to look out for you.. a true meaning to baby steps.

Agree with @Layla and @CricketHip, please take it very easy tomorrow, head out at the slightest hint that it's getting to be a bit much, skip PT if you can and ice and elevate when you get home.

@Elf1
@CricketHip
I listened to all of you. Went to the office at 6:30 am and just now got home shortly after noon. Getting dressed and getting there were the hard part, but seeing colleagues and working at a desktop instead of a laptop were my reward. Still have my work clothes on, but accessorized with my ice pack. Probably will work from home for a while now, but I'm glad I put my toe in the water.

Smart move getting yourself home before it was really painful and stressed your body. I went back to work after my knee replacements at 6 weeks but elevated a lot and had a job I could rest at but also did not work full time - about 5hrs for 2-4 weeks. Just getting up and dressing and being at work with constant requirements was tiring.

Glad that you only stayed part of the day and headed home to ice. Good that you're looking at working from home for now but still need to be careful still. Sometimes when we're home we get carried away with what we're doing and don't notice the time. Make sure you get up and move around, take breaks, ice and nap if you feel the need.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom