BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

LTKR Scheduled For Feb 27

Discussion in 'Knee Replacement Pre-Op Area' started by Tricialen, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Tricialen

Tricialen junior member

United States United States
    I am scheduled for a total left knee replacement on Feb 27th. I am ready for it but still....terrified and so not ready. My husband is taking off work for a week to stay with me and I will have a home nurse and home pt visit. I am taking deep breaths and trying to relax. The good thing is I really like my surgeon and he makes me feel like I will be safe in his hands. But still...this is major and scary.

2. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    @Tricialen Welcome to BoneSmart! Of course you are anxious - no one likes facing major surgery. But the good news is this is actually the hardest part of the journey.

Keep reading and posting here - it does help with the nerves. Read all you can about the procedure and our members' experiences pre and post op. And ask all your questions - we totally understand your concerns and will be with you all the way!

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Tricialen

Tricialen junior member

Thank you so much. I know I will be okay...just nerves. I am so happy that I found this forum!

• Like Like x 1
  4. rosieNZ

rosieNZ member

New Zealand New Zealand
    I felt like you when I had my first TKR 2 years ago. I wondered if I would wake up from the anaesthetic. Good on you for being brave and expressing your feelings. That's the healthiest thing you do.

If its any help I am expecting to have my second TKR this month (if our doctors stop striking) and I am still a little anxious. This time Im having an epidural anaesthetic and I am secretly stressing about hearing surgical sounds! Also the first 2 weeks post op are challenging so I think a little about that.
    One thing that helps me is to ensure that I have everything in place that I can possibly think off.
    I know I will get through it all and in the context of my life it will not be something I will reflect on a lot (cos I will be so busy living my life without my current restrictions caused by pain and suffering). I suspect thats how it goes for most people xxx

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tricialen

Tricialen junior member

Thank you. I am just full of nerves....this is a big deal!

6. rosieNZ

rosieNZ member

New Zealand New Zealand
    Its huge. But you need it otherwise you wouldn't think about doing it?
    Focus on controlling the things you can (this site is great for information to help you determine what would help you).
    Try and workout what individual areas of concern (aka freak out!) you have then try and address them one by one). For me its the anaesthetic and the pain in the first 2 weeks post op. Last time I did too much and didn't take regular medication. Guess what! I've learnt my lesson. I will be taking regular, by the clock, pain meds. Ive also got an cryocuff to control swelling (swelling adds to pain greatly). So the pain is not a huge concern now. I have a strategy to manage this.
    You can read the experiences of others and follow it yourself. The info is reliable and so helpful.What you can control won't be such an issue. Good luck but you wont need luck xx.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Celle

Celle FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi @Tricialen - It's normal to be scared. We all were to a greater or lesser extent. Ask us any questions that are bothering you and we['ll try to help.

Meanwhile, here are some articles that will help you prepare for the surgery:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
    Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
    Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
    Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

Regardless of where you are in the process, the website and app My Knee Guide can help you stay organized and informed. The free service keeps all the information pertaining to your surgery and recovery in one place on your smartphone. It is intended to be a personal support tool for the entire process.

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
    Stories of amazing knee recoveries

8. Tricialen

Tricialen junior member

Awesome advice! I have been learning all I can. I guess I am concerned about the pain, the PT, and since I only have my husband and no other close family, I am worried about putting too much of all of this on him. He has big shoulders and he is wonderful but this will be a lot for him and I don't think that he has really good understanding of it yet. He has helped me with my neck surgeries and with both of my other knee surgeries to repair the meniscus , but I have never been as helpless as I will be at first...so I am concerned.

9. Jaycey

Jaycey SUPER MODERATOR Moderator

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Oh but you will not be helpless. You will not leave the hospital until you can move around on your own including up and down stairs. Work with PT in the hospital to get expertise at getting in and out of bed and dressing yourself. Focus your hospital PT sessions on activities of daily living versus pushing that sore knee.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. maryo52

maryo52 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

My husband is great for the concrete things (he's the czar of the ice machine). But I've leaned on friends for things like meals and support. One things that really helped me, but I was terrified of this revision (worried it would be repeat of my 2010 nightmare) -- I stayed busy. I finished projects I'd never finished. I watched funny videos. I was able to take myself to the bathroom on Day 1, able to do stairs on Day 2, and after a 6 hour drive home on Day 3 I made myself a snack before cuddling up with the ice machine. Since then I have mostly laid around with my legs up and icing and being a baby.

February 27th was the due date of my first-born who actually arrived on March 21st! I was born the 29th and my mom March 1st. So you and I must be somehow related!!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tricialen

Tricialen junior member

I mean that I will be helpless to do all the things I do every day....chores, cooking, etc...he works and it's all going to be on him for a little while. I do understand that I will be up and walking but not vacuuming, laundry, etc...

12. Tricialen

Tricialen junior member

We might be! I have my ice packs ready and I have my Nook loaded with books. Plus we have Netflix if I want a movie....I am happy that you had a successful surgery.