LTKR scheduled for 7/14/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry you've had this upset and probable postponement.
If you are dead set on getting the custom-made implant, I think there is nothing that can be done to speed up the process. The MRI will have to be repeated.

In spite of the advertising for custom knees, the standard knee implants all work very well indeed. It really is the skill of your surgeon that is the most important factor in a successful knee replacement, not the type of hardware that is used.

If your surgeon says that he believes he can get as good a result for you with the standard knee, don't lose respect for him - he knows this from his own experience.

Ok, well my OS did call me as I must say, I was impressed with how he handled this. He explained that he could put a standard knee in, he had no problem with that, if I wanted to do that. More importantly he took the time to explain the difference between a custom and standard knee. He said the actual implants, the knee itself, is the same. The part that is custom is the " cutting blocks" that they place on the knee to guide the cuts in the bone. The custom ones are made to the exact dimensions of your knee. If he uses the standard ones he chooses the blocks that are closest to your knee size. In the end, we decided to give the MRI another try. He is going to give me a Valium to try to relax me more prior to the MRI. Maybe then I won't move and we can get a good MRI. I've never taken Valium so I hope it works. If we get a good MRI he plans to call the Zimmer company to request that they have my knee done in time for my original surgery date - July 14th. Here's hoping this works!!

Well, MRI is scheduled for 6:45 tomorrow morning. Saying a prayer that this one will work.

it's complex getting an MRI when there is so much metal from your other knee in there. :( I understand you wanting the same knee as the one that worked so well. I hope they can work it out, and you get a more skilled MRI technician, next time.

I hope this MRI goes well.
I'm very glad that your surgeon took the time to explain things to you fully. He sounds like a good, conscientious surgeon.

Well, had the MRI this morning at 6:45. Took 2 valium (10MG each) as prescribed - and unfortunately, it had no affect on me at all. In fact, I drove to work afterwards. The MRI tech said there was still some slight motion - I swear I thought it was going to be perfect - I have no sensation of movement whatsoever! It was the same MRI tech - who is very nice - so I hope that is not the issue. I am waiting to hear if Zimmer is going to reject this MRI too - I am assuming they will. Not sure what I will do next. Feeling very much like a failure - like this is my fault. Funny thing is I had an MRI for my other knee and never had one problem. Sitting at work typing with tears running down my face - guess I am very upset by this. Will post what happens when I find out. Thanks for being there and listening.

I'm sorry that you have had problems with the MRI. I know that you are counting on having a custom knee. I really think that the standard knee will still work very well for you. Try not to worry and speak to your OS again.

I'm sorry for your MRI troubles. I was given a valium for my MRI (don't know the dosage) because I'm a bit claustrophobic, but I might as well have taken an M&M for all the good it did me.

I hope you get good news on the results. The process is challenging and tear-inducing, indeed.

I recently had an MRI of my left ankle. You do have to lie completely still, but the technicians immobilised both legs with sandbags, so moving them would have been extremely difficult.

They explained everything very well and made sure I was comfortable, then put headphones on me, to reduce some of the noise. They played calming music through the headphones. They could also talk to me through the headphones and they gave me a button to push, if I should need help at all.

I can understand how it could be a rather claustrophobic experience if you are prone to that, but my whole body wasn't inside the scanner - just my legs up to the hip.

All in all, I found it to be a tedious procedure, but not too frightening.

Have you tried going to a facility where they have open MRI machines? It is much less confining. They put my knee in some type OS splint with a brace holding it in place. I'm so laid back I actually slept through the whole thing.

My second MRI was successful! Surgery is a go for July 14th. Thank you all so very much for your well wishes, prayers and advice. I am now excited....and nervous of course....for this to be done so I can make the trip to the other side. Here we go!

I'm very happy for you that the second MRI can be used to make your knee implant.

Great news. I'm following you with a revision on July 19. So glad you're able to get that custom knee.

I'm glad the second MRI was OK and your surgery is now going ahead.

Thank you everyone. I know I was probably more upset about this whole MRI thing then I needed to be. It's just that I had such a successful result with this type of knee implant on my right knee that I wanted to make sure I got the same thing. That being said, I have read enough on this site to know that every knee is different and this recovery could be better or harder. At least I have reduced my pre surgery anxiety a bit. I go for my chest X-ray and blood work on Friday. Already had my EKG and physical and that went well. Hopefully these tests will go well too. Wishing everyone a peaceful and relaxing evening.

Well, 13 days till my LTKR. Anxiety building but also trying to focus on the long term pain free life I am going to have. I do have a question though. I know I have read often on this forum that we should make sure we have our pain meds straightened out prior to leaving the hospital. I know that when I had my RTKR I had a nerve block that remained for about 2 1/2 days so I was fairly pain free. After that, I received some kind of injection for pain - not sure now what it was. When I went home I was given a prescription for Percocet. The Percocet did not nearly provide the relief that I had in the hospital. I suffered through that though because I didn't know what else to do (hadn't found this forum till later.) How can I handle the pain med situation while still in the hospital? I am wondering if my OS would prescribe something for breakthrough pain especially during those first 2 weeks. Have any of you had this? Any suggestions would truly be appreciated.

How can I handle the pain med situation while still in the hospital? I am wondering if my OS would prescribe something for breakthrough pain especially during those first 2 weeks. Have any of you had this? Any suggestions would truly be appreciated.
Firstly, talk to your surgeon before this surgery and tell him that the medication regime was not sufficient to control your pain after your first TKR. Ask for his assurance that things will be managed better this time. Ask what he will prescribe and what you should do if the medications aren't working for you. It's not acceptable that you should be left with uncontrolled pain.

How long do you expect to remain in hospital this time? I think it's always best if you stay until after the nerve block has worn off, to make sure that the oral pain medications are working well for you, and to adjust the regime to a more effective one, if they are not.

If you find that your pain meds aren't working well once you get home, phone your surgeon. It's his job to make sure you are adequately medicated after this major surgery.

My Revision TKR is scheduled for July 19 so I guess I'm only 19 days out. My OS says 1-2 days in hospital then I will go home withy hydro one. This worked fine for my original. I will get more refinement in my pre-op visit to PA and hospital, where I will meet nurses and anesthesiologist. I think your OS would probably prescribe something like tramadol for breakthrough pain.

Dorothy

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member