TKR Bone spurs

Thankyou I look forward to pain free days and my indepence back most of all

That rotisserie feeling can cause a lot of pain, with all those frequent movements.

I was a side sleeper before surgery but I have successfully learned to sleep on my back, and still do now, 4 years later!

What helped me most was to elevate both legs. My particular elevating wedge has a cut in trough for one leg, which is pretty hard to come out of in my sleep. My wedge is only designed for one leg, but I put the other leg on it also. This kept/keeps me still all night.

I also use my pillow to prop my head up somewhat straight.

I now fall asleep much faster than I did when I slept on my side, (I don’t know why) so that’s an added bonus!
I also have a wedge for my leg, and one to prop me up! I am 5 weeks post op, and I can sleep for a limited time on my side!

Post op checkup at 7weeks all good 90 degrees achieved Doc very happy with progress and scar so keep up the exercises and increase walking go back in four months

90 degrees at 7 weeks is really good! What a wonderful recovery you are having.

Thankyou
how do I give new posts a different heading and how do I change my original header please

We can change your thread title for you if you tell us what you'd like.

You don't need a heading for each post. Just ask a question or post what you want to say.

It does get better! I still iced and elevated as much as possible at that stage. Hoping you get some good sleep soon!

Thanks Celle
If you could just make it LTKR recovery from Feb 21

But for the sleeping, it sounds like you are doing very well in your recovery. I had my knees replaced 7 weeks apart. On my back for a bit after #1, then switched to side, then back on my back for a couple weeks after #2, then worked to get to my sides. As others mentioned, I also propped up my upper back and head - mostly so as not to disturb the hubs with snoring :rotfl: . But I really did sleep well, once we got past the pain at night. But when on my side, I did the rotisserie spit dance as well. There are foam pillows for recovery which have an indentation on both sides for your legs which made it much easier to flip from side to side and keep the pillow with you - just tighten a bit and flip. The other thing I did too, was rather than taking Tylenol at night, I would take Tylenol PM instead - I found it helpful in keeping me closer to sleep when I flipped and easier to settle back into dreamland. Good luck.

Thanks for the tips I’m not doing too bad now I can manage to stay on my side for a while after a lot of persistence and change of pillow position lol it feels fantastic to get weight off of my back
The other thing I have noticed is some definition of knee shape appearing as the swelling has subsided which makes me happy

It is tough to be on your back constantly. Glad to hear you are able to get some respite on your sides! Isn't it great to see that "knee shape" start to return!? Congrats!:happydance:

I had always been a side sleeper before my surgery but I’ve adjusted well to sleeping on my back. As long as my legs are elevated, I’m very comfortable, and I still sleep that way 4 years later! I find it also helps me fall asleep faster and I stay still all night, instead of all the turning I used to do.

Hi
Having twitching and involuntary muscle movement in knee is it normal

Still having something like muscle spasm in knee when resting does anyone else have this happen I’m at 8 weeks now

Yes, that twitching and muscle spasm is part of recovery - annoying though it is. It should start to decrease soon.

Oh good as it is a very weird feeling . I’ve been trying to take Panadol and Nurofen only when needed so probably feeling a few more niggles than usual .Happy to report I had my first full night sleep since February the other night sooo good

Sometimes new knee feels like it’s slipping in the socket when walking is this normal and part of the wearing in process I’m a bit concerned

You are probably feeling internal fluid. As you heal and the swelling goes down you will automatically start to use your knee more. This will strengthen the muscles and tendons and you'll have less sensation of inside movement.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• EalingGran
    Staff member since January 23, 2024
  • mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Forum statistics

Threads