TKR LTKR on June 23

thanks @Sisterpat

I just read three by Ruth Hogan. the first one was called the keeper of lost things. I had to laugh, the central character was Anthony and his estate was called Padua.

now I have discovered a new author, Ivan Doig.

I like Adriana Trigiani, especially “The Shoemaker’s Wife”.

yes! and the series about the southern Italian family, the lady named Ave Maria?

Day21: Swelling is reduced significantly with more elevation, real toes above nose elevation in the daily schedule.
Sleeping past my middle of the night tylenol dose by two hours.
Going to try a half dose of oxy before it today. can always pop the other half if post ot ice and el doesnt do enough.
Knee is still tight, even with reduced swelling. Changes in rom are slow but I am at peace with it.
Would like to be out and walking more but it has been rainy. Dreamed about walking well without a cane last night.
Reading, knitting, drawing while resting and ignoring the dust bunnies.

You are doing well! I’m not sure how my ROM is doing - I’m just doing what my hospital have told me to do . I increase my PT from week 4 but again, I have to do the reps gradually

So many questions at times lol

Keep up the good work though

We eliminated the stairs from today's pt, since it took 2 and a half days to recover. rom is 105/0.

Good work, Jo! You are learning your new knee’s limitations :dancy: .

Try not to worry about the tightness, it is a normal occurrence after this kind of major surgery. Your surgeon did major carpentry work and disturbed every millimeter of soft tissue in this area. You aren't tight because your muscle is underused and needs to be stretched and rehabbed. You're tight because your tissue is healing...and full healing takes a full year or more.

You‘re also tight because of swelling. Even later when you don’t see much outer swelling, there is still some inner swelling.

I love your approach to this recovery, you are being very sensible about it and seem relaxed and at peace with how things are going. :flwrysmile:

Thanks Jockette. I am fortunate that we are both retired and our lack of a fixed schedule of obligations helps me balance activity and rest. I really wanted to go grocery shopping yesterday but didn't think that trip was a good idea on a pt day, even though it's a five minute ride. So that will be our big adventure this morning.

DAY22: zingers are an effective alarm clock! on the whole, I am sleeping better, and calmly working through the morning stiffness just walking about. I
seemed to get by ok yesterday with half an oxy for pt, hoping to get off it altogether in about a week.

with half an oxy for pt
We don’t recommend you take pain medication specifically to do PT. First of all, PT should not cause any pain. Second, it can give you a false sense of how much you can do, because you’re feeling less pain. Pain is a warning sign that you are doing more than your knee is ready for.

I take a middle of the road approach on the PT. At a low dose it takes the edge off but I still hear it yell if it's too much.

This morning's grocery ride and walk produced noticeable swelling so I think when I add walking to the daily program it should be 5 to 10 minutes. Today I was on my feet walking or standing for 20.

DAY22: zingers are an effective alarm clock! on the whole, I am sleeping better, and calmly working through the morning stiffness just walking about. I
seemed to get by ok yesterday with half an oxy for pt, hoping to get off it altogether in about a week.

I’m finding this too Jo.. it eases off quite quickly which I’m happy about. I’m off my tramadol but still taking co codamol but finding the gaps are longer in between

Jan x

Jan, I use either a walker or a cane. I have an old pair of crutches we kept when we cleaned out my mother in law's house. I might get some nordic trekking poles when I am ready to resume walking on woodland trails.

SisterPat, wasn't Forked River the site of a nuke plant? I think my uncle did some consulting work there. He developed the process to remove radioactive material from the water that leaked from Three Mile Island.
That’s something very positive to look forward to isn’t it Jo?
My friend who is 18mnths post TKR, says she hears that people feel their operated leg is like an alien , then it settles in and becomes part of you

My old knee felt alien to me, so stiff when it moved, I cant say that the new one feels like an outsider.

end of day....had deep ache on the lateral side of my calf after making dinner. I massaged magnesium oil in, and also on the back of my thigh where the ted stocking had aggravated my hamstrings. Took the edge off. my next scheduled tylenol dose is in 2 hours and 15 minutes. took my anticoagulant aspirin and asked for fresh ice packs.

DAY23. my last in home pt is today, on monday I start outpatient. my biggest complaint is the medial pain at the back of my knee. my ice cuffs don't go all the way around, so I tucked a small gel pack in this morning. also the pain is searing when I walk with the compression stocking on, so I just switched to a compression knee high for the final week of wearing these. I had a dvt scare during my years of heavy business travel that turned out not to be a dvt, so I have some graduated compression knee highs on hand.

DAY23. my last in home pt is today, on monday I start outpatient. my biggest complaint is the medial pain at the back of my knee. my ice cuffs don't go all the way around, so I tucked a small gel pack in this morning. also the pain is searing when I walk with the compression stocking on, so I just switched to a compression knee high for the final week of wearing these. I had a dvt scare during my years of heavy business travel that turned out not to be a dvt, so I have some graduated compression knee highs on hand.
Hi Jo. It has been a few weeks since I have been on this forum, so I was happy to see that your recovery is coming along well. Hang in there. Those stockings were the bane of my existence. I finally started wearing the pantyhose version. Wishing you continued success!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom