TKR LTKR on June 23

Different surgeons recommend different time lengths for those stockings, and some don’t use them at all. Call your doctor and see if at this point you can stop wearing them. You are probably getting active enough to not need them.

I remember one member who reported that hers got lost in the wash. :angel:

Different surgeons recommend different time lengths for those stockings, and some don’t use them at all. Call your doctor and see if at this point you can stop wearing them. You are probably getting active enough to not need them.

I remember one member who reported that hers got lost in the wash. :angel:
I had my two week checkup on the 8th and was told to wear them for a month. Given the good outcome I have had this far I am not inclined to ignore the doctor's orders.

It's also recommended that I not travel off long island for 10 to 12 weeks. the risk of summer traffic jams is high.

this aligns with what I read on pubmed that the risk of clots after tkr remains significant for the first 3 months after surgery.

Good to keep doing what you’re doing, since it’s working. I’m not so compliant anymore, after reading all the different opinions about this recovery. :heehee:

Interesting about the travel advice. I grew up on Long Island and met a boy from south Jersey ( who I married!) and we totally understand the traffic!

my brother and his family are all down the shore as we said in nj ( where we grew up) Tom's River, Waretown, Wall, and Belmar.

DAY19: Recumbent bikes for a few minutes, slowly, lowest tension setting. PT went fine and she had me go up a flight of stairs alternating legs with railing and cane. Today is a day for rest and recover. My expectations are set. outpatient PT starts in a week so PT and rest are my only job for six weeks at least.
ROM is 103/0.

DAY19: Recumbent bikes for a few minutes, slowly, lowest tension setting. PT went fine and she had me go up a flight of stairs alternating legs with railing and cane. Today is a day for rest and recover. My expectations are set. outpatient PT starts in a week so PT and rest are my only job for six weeks at least.
ROM is 103/0.
Hey
You are doing so well ! I had to go up / down stairs with PT at hospital before I could be discharged as my home has stairs and bathroom is there! It’s quite daunting using a stick but I’m finding it easier now
I find I am changing “ operated leg - unoperated leg - stick / then the reverse all the time :)
Jan x

to get out of hospital here you can go up with the good leg down with the bad leg. this was my first try at alternating legs up. she said don't even think about going down that way until the bend is much better.

its damp and rainy today and I feel a bit stiff so I am not going to do it today.

ugh! damp rainy weather, and perhaps too much salt yesterday have put me in invalid mode all day. resting, icing, elevating, reading, feeling frustrated.

Good plan, Jo Wo. Always good to go with what works for you!

Yes patient is a tough one, isn’t it? We all struggle with it, I think. You’ll make it. I’m betting you’ll feel better tomorrow! Sleep well.

Try not to get frustrated, this recovery is like a rollercoaster, up one day, down the other. It is not a straight line improvement. Try to just go with the flow.

to get out of hospital here you can go up with the good leg down with the bad leg. this was my first try at alternating legs up. she said don't even think about going down that way until the bend is much better.

its damp and rainy today and I feel a bit stiff so I am not going to do it today.

Ah right

oh I think that would feel quite painful at the moment as all weight is in operated leg.though I would imagine, as leg heals, this would feel less sore
Jan x

ugh! damp rainy weather, and perhaps too much salt yesterday have put me in invalid mode all day. resting, icing, elevating, reading, feeling frustrated.

Yes this sounds familiar … I’m learning not to be so hard on myself and go with the breeze

hope tomorrow is better Jo

Jan

Jo, we lived in Forked River for 10 years.

and my onestep long walk showed a much better stride length today. so a big thank you for everyone who told me to stay quiet for a few days.

I am out walking every day .. now it’s a very slow process, started with 3 minutes and now up to 10 but we are advised to use both sticks till our 6 week mark ( outdoors) and then wean off to one stick . One thing I am very conscious of is my posture/ stride when doing my walk .. it’s very easy to stoop when using sticks isn’t it? I’m using 1 stick in doors and in my garden - every day is a day moving forward isn’t it?

Jan x

Good to keep doing what you’re doing, since it’s working. I’m not so compliant anymore, after reading all the different opinions about this recovery. :heehee:

Interesting about the travel advice. I grew up on Long Island and met a boy from south Jersey ( who I married!) and we totally understand the traffic!

I spent many happy times in New Jersey , on vacation staying with friends. Absolutely loved it ❤️

Jan, I use either a walker or a cane. I have an old pair of crutches we kept when we cleaned out my mother in law's house. I might get some nordic trekking poles when I am ready to resume walking on woodland trails.

SisterPat, wasn't Forked River the site of a nuke plant? I think my uncle did some consulting work there. He developed the process to remove radioactive material from the water that leaked from Three Mile Island.

DAY20. the skin on the medial side is so sensitive, perhaps from the stockings or from over icing with not enough fabric between me and the ice. That pain is limiting my bend when I walk this morning, so I think I will just wear them folded down below the knee when walking and pull them up when resting today.

thankful that I can download books from the library. reading us the best option when I do full elevation.

Yes, reading is my go to, also! I love good fiction. We actually lived in Lanoka Harbor, the little town before Forked River. Yes, I do think there was a nuclear plant there.
Hoping for a more comfortable day for you.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
All2Gd88
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom