TKR LTKR October 17th Boston MA

pall48

Country
United States United States
Hi I am having tkr L.. I have been dealing with bad knees for about 7 to 8 years, had injections, PT and Othroscopic surgery. Have meniscus tare in both knees, and now bone on bone, Dr. recommends doing only one knee at a time... My biggest concern is pain managment and how quickly is the recovery... I am in pretty good health walk in pool 5 days a week, but have heavy upper body... I am hoping to be able to drive by Mid of December and walk with out any aids... Does this sound feastible or is this unrealitic? In addition I have questions about ROM I am hoping to be able to kneel on the ground and work in the garden does this seem possible??.. I think I am asking once my knee is replace how close is it to replicating your old knee and what are limitation you have come across... Thank for you Time David T

Hi David, I’m in the Boston area too. I had my RTKR on October 16th, 2012, and am about to celebrate my 10th anniversary! To answer your last question first, my new knee was and still is far and away so much better than the old one. I do not experience any major limitations in my life; this surgery changed my life completely. To this day, I continue to feel gratitude that I no longer have pain while descending stairs - that's how bad it had been for me for a long time.

My experience: After many years of bone on bone having had a meniscectomy at age 16, I had surgery at age 56. One month post op (before Thanksgiving), I was allowed to drive (remember, I had right knee replacement). I used a cane in public during that time too, but not because I needed it for support, but as a signal to keep others out of my way! (I was mildly paranoid about being bumped by someone with a shopping cart!).

Post op pain was rough for two to three weeks and some nights were harder than others. Access to these forums (sometimes in the middle of the night) meant the world to me knowing that I was not unusual in how I was feeling, both physically (discomfort), mentally (impatient) and emotionally (teary, to which I blamed the medication!). But soon, I experienced great improvements, and it was all behind me.

As you will read from others here, swelling and pain are normal through this recovery, and everyone has different experiences. Rest, ice, elevation - all were important even after I returned to work in early January 2013. I used to keep an ice pack in the freezer at the office, and would prop my leg up at regular intervals. Spin classes helped me tremendously when my PT gave me the go ahead.

I was faithful to doing my PT throughout recovery, and I still incorporate into my daily health routines many of the same stretches for flexion, extension, and balance I learned way back then. My primary modes of exercise are cycling, walking, and yoga, so each of these helps me work on those muscles and maintain strength and flexibility. Kneeling on my right knee is not something I do for any length of time (during yoga, always on a mat or blanket) - it’s not impossible, it’s just not comfortable for me. I'm sure you will be able to figure out the most comfortable way to get back to your gardening by next spring.

My advice to you: take each step of this process one at a time; you cannot rush your recovery. Show yourself patience and self love as you go through this wonderful life changing intervention. Seek support here in this forum and notice the times that you can give support to others - we all learn so much together in this endeavor. I am excited for you!

Last edited by a moderator:
@pall48
Welcome to your first post on BoneSmart! :welome:
I am hoping to be able to drive by Mid of December and walk with out any aids..
Everyone is different, most start driving when they are off opioids, and are able to react quickly to an emergency situation. Walking with out an aide will depend on your individual recovery and balance.

New BoneSmart members like you are in various stages of their journey to joint replacement. Making the decision whether or not to have surgery and preparing for surgery can be easier once you have done your research and know what lies ahead. Here are some tools that can help you decide what is best for you.

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:

Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:

Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:

Stories of amazing knee recoveries

@pall48 Welcome! When are you planning on having your surgery. We really can't comment on any time frame if we don't know your surgery date.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all your inputs, it has given me some understanding of what to expect... My date of Surgery is October 17th 2022. There is one question, since your tkr has anybody experience pain from getting up in sitting position to a standing position??.. If so were are there any exercises that helped you???.. Did any of your PT sessions include balancing exercises I have read balance maybe one of the key components that should be address when getting tkr?? i want thank everyone in advance for replying to my questions.

You will probably have trouble getting up from a sitting position and have some pain doing so, in the beginning, but it gets better as you heal.

Yes, your PT will probably help you with balance. If they don’t you can always ask them about it. Most PTs want to help you with any and every aspect of this recovery.

Getting up from a sitting position can be tricky, especially if you have little or no upper body strength. I found building upper body strength pre-op very beneficial.

Not right away, but after you're more healed your PT may have you do "sit to stand" exercises. Basically getting up and down from chairs (nothing that rolls) without pushing up. Or at least gradually relying less and less on your arms to help. The PT can show you the correct form so you don't put excess strain on the knee.

Pre op, one thing I wish I had been told to do was one of the early post op exercises--what they called "quad sets." Basically you just lay flat and tighten your knee muscles for several repetitions. Not too strenuous for a pre-op knee if other exercises are painful.

Greetings from NH! Yes, getting up from sitting can be painful for a time. For how long is different for everyone. In fact, that’s how this whole recovery is:different for everyone.

Marie

Hi everyone,
I am getting ready for my first tkr and three months later replacement of other knee. The question I have is I am extremely bow legged and Dr said I would be 2 inches taller after both knees are done.. Has anyone gone through a total tkr that was bow legged and was it difficult walk with one knee being done and not the other? Thanks for your rely in advance!

Hi @pall48 -- My right leg was quite badly bowed (my left less so), so my surgeon did an osteotomy during my TKR. Yes, I noticed that my right leg is slightly longer than the left, but a small lift in my left shoe has taken care of it. I'm assuming I will be even after I have my left TKR next year.

@Pall48…..I am 'intending' to be very disciplined about starting my 'pre-hab’ exercises (Today! Get at it today!) so that I feel I've done all I can for a good recovery. (There may be some somewhere on this site; I just did a google.) And balance is a key issue as we 'progress' in life (uh…age). Exercises to aid in that regard can start with something as simple as alternately standing on one foot while brushing your teeth or waiting for the coffee to perk or dribble. I also try to remember to do a 'crane-walk' through the house - very slow steps, raising one foot all the way off the ground and holding my balance on the other leg. Easy things that can just be integrated into your daily routine.

You're scheduled for about 3 weeks before me - I'll be watching for your recovery report!

Good luck tomorrow, @pall48 ! Hope to see you soon over on the recovery side.

pall48 is now posting on the Knee Recovery Forum HERE
Please follow his progress there.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Txguy
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom