LTKR November 18th - Newbie

woodencat

Country
United States United States
I'm 67, female who has congenital patella alta (that means my knee caps are in my thighs above my knees rather than on them). I've had knee problems for as long as I can remember and this year an acute and very painful bone spur breaking on my left knee brought me to this point in time.

I have severe osteoarthritis of both knees -- but the major damage appears to be the patella femoral joint. The other two joints aren't really that bad. My surgeon thinks the cause may well be the patella alta -- but who knows?

I'm having Mako robot assisted left total knee replacement surgery, followed (I hope) with the right after I heal enough.

I'm pretty healthy -- having lost nearly 100 pounds -- and am a normal weight. I do have diabetes (well controlled), high blood pressure and thyroid disease but all are controlled with medication. My primary doctor says I should be an ideal candidate for the surgery -- and I sure hope so!

I'm trying to learn as much as I can -- including what to do to prepare at home post-op... Glad to have found this forum and have heard good things about it.

Hi and Welcome!

This is a great place to get information about your upcoming surgery. our members are very supportive, so don’t hesitate to ask questions or make comments.

Here’s some pre op information for you:

If you are at the stage where you have joint pain but don't know for sure if you are ready to have surgery, these links may help:
Score Chart: How bad is my arthritic knee?
Choosing a surgeon and a prosthesis
BMI Calculator - What to do if your surgeon says you're too heavy for joint replacement surgery
Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced knee, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing knee recoveries

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dave4562
Recent bookmarks