TKR LTKR 5/21/21 Humming along

@BBCG I have a pain mgmt dr (who rocks) he had prescribed dilauded for the surgery. Unfortunately that had the effect of a jelly bean against the pain. Before buying our house (66 mile move) I was on 30mgs Oxycodone. I couldn’t find one single pharmacy in our new city that could get/fill it, so my pain dr changed me to morphine. I don’t know what stringer med I could even get. I see pain dr in 22 days.

you wouldn’t know from this surgery that I actually have I high tolerance for pain. The TKR has knocked me to my knees. No pun intended

@Sisterpat. Thank you, prayers always accepted

@Jockette. I’m sorry to hear your going through the loss too.

Last edited:
@JuJuGee my heart goes out to you. You have been through so much and you still have pain. I am so sorry about your mother. My mother passed away 7 years ago after a short (thankfully) battle with Alzheimers. I was her in charge of everything for her. We were extremely close. I can only say that the sadness eventually turns to happier memories. Although we never really stop missing our mothers.
Please post here anytime you need to.

@Flutter1 I’m sorry for your loss. I still puck up the phone to call her. May 28 I had a cervical fusion revision. My last conversation with my mom was when I was drugged up on Demerol in the hospital. She started getting sick before I even left the hospital. My sister thought it was just like a flu. (I’m in GA, mom & sis in AZ) she just kept getting sicker. By the time we realized it was the end it was too late for me to come out to see her. Her heart gave out.
I miss her so much. I’m sure the pain will lessen with time.

Called OS office this morning to find out why they didn’t send the RX over to the pharmacy for the medrol pack. They forgot.

By the time they sent it over hubster had already left for work. He works 2nd shift. So I gathered myself together and drove for the first time. Good thing he took my truck today (4wd Hemi Dodge Ram) I really miss driving my truck. I took the van & drove for the first time since my surgery.

Current pain meds don’t make me dopey at al, I’m very waaa fortunate there. Driving was no problem, the store where the pharmacy is what wore me out. I didn’t use one of those motorized carts. Used my pretty cane.

The pain med Lortab is the only narcotic that made me absolutely dopey. We call the time I took them the Lost Lortab Years. 2-3 years in late 2000’s that I have NO memory off. Not any movies I saw, anything I did. Gone. So happy to be off of that stuff.

I’m still hurting quite a bit from the PT on Tuesday. My calf muscles are still super painful & tight. While I ice my knee I’ve been icing the calf to take some of the inflammation out, or hoping that’s working.

I’m really hopeful the medrol steroid pack works wonders and gets me to a more tolerable place.

I want to work in my gardens so bad. I have vegetable & flower gardens. Hubster is doing a great job outside, I just want to get out there myself.

I want to work in my gardens so bad. I have vegetable & flower gardens. Hubster is doing a great job outside, I just want to get out there myself.
You will, but probably not as fast as you’d like. Heal first, then you’ll be able to do what you want!

Question-Do you think I’ll be able to go on our vacation in October? We’re driving my truck to Arizona. I usually do 80% of the driving. That’s 5 months from now.

I’ve been trying to get out there since mom died 6/21. It’s already been postponed 4 times.

going out to see my brother, sister & uncle.

ou will, but probably not as fast as you’d like. Heal first, then you’ll be able to do what you want!

Um. I’m….. it was super hot today and all the plants were tragically drooping. I watered front & back (we’re on 1/2 acre) my leg is panging. Deeper than pinging. I won’t do that again for awhile

Maybe wait a couple of weeks and then water a little at a time next time. I hope you have someone to help you out with that in the meantime. My surgery was in the month of March, so I didn’t have that problem.

@Jockette My very dear hubster has been taking care of all the watering, weeding & dead heading everything. I was thinking I’d help him out. It started with just a few plants then I just kept going. My error. Too much too soon

I’m glad your husband is so helpful and supportive, mine was, too!

I know how it goes when you intend to do just a little, then just a little more…and, you’re almost done anyway….then “oh no, why did I do so much!” :sos:

It takes a while to find the balance between enough and too much, and that can change day by day!

Jockette, Celle, Sisterpat,

What a difference. Nite & day

New PT dude Gerry is AWESOME

I explained the torture at the last place. He could feel how much my muscles were guarding & worked to relax them. When I got there I was only able to bend to 60 degrees, at the end 82 ROM, with no pain!!! He seems to prescribe to the BoneSmart way. He’s only measuring ROM to know where I am and where the Dr wants me otherwise he’s not focused on it. His philosophy ROM is fluid meaning I’ll get ROM naturally by using using my knee. Walking, even if for a little bit, every hour.

So wish I’d gone here first and only.

Hooray for your new PT therapist! :yes!:
It sounds as if he will do good things for your knee.
I'm so glad you found him.

Wonderful news! Good PT’s are out there - just a matter of finding them. Happy for you. You should progress well now.

Great news JuJuGee! I was wondering if you talked with the new PT about their philosophy before going to see them? I need to find a new PT (this will be PT #4, long story), and I am dreading going to see another new person and have to figure out if they are going to be too aggressive. I don't feel like wasting my time and energy to go see yet another PT who will bring out the weights and bands and I'll have to tell them no and then get branded as "difficult" (ha!)

@GiantFinnegan

I watched new guy with his previous patient before me. I could here what he was saying. Totally clicked

I’m sorry you haven’t found the right PT facility yet. YET, meaning you WILL find what works best for YOUR RECOVERY. Whether it’s a facility or coming up with your own therapist like @Sisterpat said

I just realized today is the first time I’m not in pain after going to PT. Previously I’d hurt leaving, through all the next day

So far, just a little sore & tired. Nothing Ice & sleep can’t fix!!

Last edited:
New place on knee heard from with a vengeance. Bottom/outer knee cap. Hurts like a darn. Icing & elevating & medicated. Just started about 3 hours ago and no signs of letting up. GRRRRRRRRRR. I got up to use the bathroom and the first step I screamed.

Very normal, our knee is very upset from the surgery. Treat it with lots of tender loving care!

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
JanieMarie
Recent bookmarks
Back