TKR LTKR 5/21/21 Humming along

Good idea to close out that article and put on music!

Try not to worry about every new pain (been there, done that!) it’s all part of this recovery. Keep the music playing, take things easy, all will be well. :console2:

Oh my gosh, stop looking these things up on the internet! You can scare yourself half to death! Much too early in your recovery to even think of a TKR failure! You are simply experiencing what most of us have gone through - pains in different places, different times, different intensities. Sit down, elevate that knee, ice it and put on a funny movie.

Hi JuJuGee,

I'm so sorry all you are dealing with! Gee wizz! I'm also so sorry for the loss of your mom, too... no fair for you to not be able to get to see her! Especially with all you're dealing with...

I would REALLY encourage you to read the articles regarding PT, again... in the US, there seems to be so much emphasis on the idea of "No pain, no gain" or having to "work" at something. It seems with this surgery, those attitudes really are counter productive. Making your knee HURT after PT means it's not doing you the good you need done to the knee. So much of the early recovery is in simply resting, icing and elevating your new baby knee!

Hi JuJuGee, just wanted to say I know what you are going through, but it will get better. I have been there, a new pang and a new twinge, looking it up online and then starting to worry about it even more.
At this point really all that you can do is relax and let it heal in its own time. I had to learn to let go of my expectations also and just listen to my knee to what it needs.
It will get better.

Thank you @Gardenplotter & @BBCG

I’m not looking anything else up about pings or pains.

My new physical therapist really is the best thing that’s happened since I’ve woke up from surgery.

Today he saw firsthand how my muscles guard. I woke up today with REALLY good ROM for me. At PT it was doing great . Looked like it was 90 degrees maybe a bit more. I was doing relatively passive things with no pain. Then I laid down on the table and my knee FROZE UP. I couldn’t straighten or bend AT ALL. It hurt so much my eyes sprung leaks. He gently did some things to my whole leg and got it calmed down a bit then ice got me the rest of the way so I could move it again.

It’s just aggravating that my muscles guard so aggressively. I just pray that it doesn’t happen again anytime soon.

Hi jujuGee the internet really scare you. I am in week 9 form Right medial P.K.R. and my pain has moved all over my knee. Now i have pain and swelling around my kneecap it feels bruised and sore where as a couple if weeks ago it was the back of my knee and i had a lot of clunking and clanking coming form my P.K.R. It changes all the time. Listen to the good people on this forum they are the best and have done this rodeo before.

@JuJuGee that’s wonderful news about your new PT. It is so hard to relax about our knees. Hang in there and praying for your progress.

In this day we turn to the computer to look up so much without a thought. That’s what I did that day, but no more. My knee is what it is and going to be. I’m just along for the ride

What I did before I joined Bonesmart was to google my issue, but I added “post op TKR Bonesmart” at the end, and it brought me here, to someone who had the issue.

You can also use the search feature above, on the right, to find others with the issue you’re currently interested in.

Or, just ask, and we’ll try to answer.

Today, one of the cool things he showed me, that worked for ME. When doing a heal slide. I’d slide until resistance, not pained. If I did 5-10 heal pumps I’d get an inch or two more slide. Strangest thing

JuJuGee I can totally echo you on the guarding! It IS the oddest thing! I deal with the back of my leg behind my knee guarding so I can’t get my extension as fast as I’d like… sometimes it just says, “No!” And then we try to determine a position that allows it to move and me to continue progressing!

Hubster had a right carpal tunnel release surgery this morning. He’s doing fantastic. He even tied his shoes at the hospital.
He is fighting me on the ice & keeping it raised above his heart. I had both R & L CTR back in 2002. I remember what not icing or elevating can do. He’s supposed to ice 20 minutes every 2 hours. 10 minutes in he’s over the whole thing.

We are total opposites when I comes to medical/surgery stuff.

I’ve had 19 surgeries with the LTKR being the last one.

He had tubes in his ears as a toddler. Otherwise no surgery, no broken or sprained bones.

He has no frame of reference when I talk about the feeling of a broken bone. Or any other pain

PTL he’s not even hurting. To be honest, I’m quite jealous. Haha

My knee is behaving for the most part. Doing “tailgate” swinging on the side of the bed or a high chair is helping. I was a swinging my feet, the left leg kept stopping at a certain point, suddenly it went further then it ever had!!! A small yet large victory!!

Last edited:
My PT would sometimes massage the leg a little (maybe 20 seconds ?) when I was doing the heel slides. I tried doing that myself and it seemed to help relax the muscles a bit.

At my 6 week post surgery appt the OS was thrilled, happiest I’ve seen him actually. I was at 90 degrees. He said I hit the 3 milestones after TKR.
1. 90 ROM
2. Incision completely closed
3. Walking unassisted (I’d been doing that already for 2 weeks)
I see him again 8/18. He didn’t say what ROM I should be at then, I’m guessing he wants it to be 120 degrees. My knee will be what it will be.
Had a really good day in PT. My knee does respond better when he manually rubs out the locked up quad muscles.
Today my back hurt more than my knee. That’s saying something haha
Sadly, my cousin Cathleen succumbed to cancer. She’d been battling it for 10 years. She’s at peace & no longer in pain.
My stepmom is currently going through chemo. Next radiation then more chemo. If it goes well, it’ll wrap up in September. My dad shaved his head so they’d be bald together.
Been happily working in the vegetable & flower gardens. So nice to be able to get outside even if the humidity is stifling. I’ll post a pic soon

I’m so sorry to hear about your cousin. :console2:

And your stepmom, too, how nice that your dad shaved his head to show his support.

I’m ready to quit going to physical therapy. For a couple of reasons
1. I can do most of the same things at home
2. From the time to leave to go to appt to getting home can be 2-2 1/2 hours each time
3. In one breath he tells me I’m stiff and going backwards then he measures & ROM is more than ever
4. Just plain tired of going
I’m at 10 weeks. I see the OS on August 19th. I’m sure he’s expecting ROM to be 120. I’ll be what I’m going to be. I do exercise at home. More importantly I’m living my life. I don’t let my limited ROM to keep me from gardening flowers or vegetables. I weed every & everything. Housework is no problem.

On a side note. I had a fall 2 weeks ago. I was carrying flattened boxes up metal stairs at the recycling center. The boxes started slipping and I lost track of what step I was on. I thought I was at the top/platform but I actually had one more to go. I protected my knee without thinking about it but landed HARD on my hip. It’s been hurting & bothering me since. Bruises are healing. Hip joint mostly hurts when I stand up or walk, mostly

I pray every one is doing well in their journey

Please change my title to

LTKR 5/21/21 Humming along

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• Jaycey
    ADMINISTRATOR Staff member since February 2011

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member