Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR LTHR with coexisting scoliosis history

Yorkshire lass

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Hi all
I had LTHR via posterior approach on 23.1.20.Saw the surgeon 7 weeks post op and my new dual mobility non cemented socket was in position . Scar healing well .So I am now 9 weeks post op Surgeon will review after 12 months.

I have underlying history of severe lumbar thoracic scoliosis ( big curve to lower spine ) . This has caused large pelvic tilt and I always walked with limp due to lateral pelvic tilt. Had a Harrington rod surgery for spinal at age 18 yo . I am now 57.
Hip Surgeon said this meant I had greater risk of dislocation due to this awkward anatomy ! But all intact so far .

Had a lot of sciatica and buttock pain before op.So firstly had a spinal MRI and saw a consultant neurologist , he said no significant nerve impingement .
Then referred for hip after several weeks of physio and increasing pain. Opted for hip replacement as there was lots of osteoarthritis in LH.

Sciatica was so much worse post op but settling nicely in last 2-3 weeks.

Main problem currently is still pain in my Left bum cheek when sitting or cycling . Still pain in Left buttock when doing glute bum squeeze exercises .
Managed 5 miles on my bike today and hip was no issue ) also walking every other day for 1 1/2 to 2 miles . But OMG this left buttock gets sore . Covid 19 is of course limiting outdoor stuff for us all.

Due to spine I am quite stiff bodied and not very flexible.
I struggle lifting the operated left leg above 90 degrees .Non operated R hip is good and flexible.
Operated Left leg swells a little around knee due to above I’m struggling to do some of stretches of glute and buttock area.

Are there any other curvy scoliosis folks out there who have had hip replacement ? Overall glad and grateful for my new hip though

Going4fun

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
You're still early in recovery ... 5 miles on the bike ... body might not be ready for that. And glute squeezes ... if your glute is hurting .... then you can cease squeezes and stretching ...

You're still early in the process. What I'm politely saying is ... you're doing too much. Listen to your body. It will scream when it's doing too much. Biking, glute squeezes and walking ... maybe just move to the walking for a few weeks and see how that feels. It can take a full year or longer for the muscles and soft tissue to heal from the surgery.

Many of us have to back off many times ... I was four or five weeks past you when I was doing too much ... on the bike and with walking ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yorkshire lass

Yorkshire lass

Country
Hi Thanks for reply

Will cool it with the cycling exercise and physio stuff and settle on some gentle walking only for a few weeks . Build up slowly is what you’re saying and be a patient patient .

Found the forum to be a great resource both pre and post op . Thanks for the advice

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
Hello @Yorkshire lass - and :welome:

Hips don't actually need a lot of exercise. What they get in the normal course of daily living is enough, so I suggest you stop doing any exercises that hurt you.

Here is the recovery reading we give to everyone with a new hip- lots of informative and helpful articles:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
Welcome fellow @Yorkshire lass ! I don't have scoliosis - but the list of what is wrong with my lumbar spine is very long. As you can see in my signature I had spinal surgery many years before my LTHR. I live with daily lower back pain but post my LTHR the sciatic pain kicked in horridly. Icing helped. I also found gentle hamstring stretches from a seated position eased this.

I am wondering if you might have a bit of Piriformis syndrome - a pain in the butt! I had bad spasms in the left buttock post op and it was diagnosed as piriformis. Ice and the hamstring stretches also ease this.

OP
OP
Yorkshire lass

Yorkshire lass

Country
Thanks Jacey
I will try the icing and hamstring stretches . It seems lying down or standing are more comfortable than sitting , walking doesn’t aggravate buttock pain so I will continue to build slowly with that .Due to pelvic tilt my weight naturally pitches on the same side as HR surgery and buttock pain .

Debru4

graduate
Country
i agree with the previous posters that scaling back on the activity level is probably wise. One additional comment: I think many people have severe buttock pain when sitting.....I know that I did for several weeks after my surgery, long past the time that walking and other types of activity were comfortable. I used ice, a gel pillow, and another horseshoe shaped pillow to take some of the pressure off. And then gradually it lessened, and one day I realized it was gone. So I don't think the glute pain itself is that unusual. Of course, you have compounding issues with your scoliosis, so if it continues, you might want to call your doctor and see if they have suggestions. Take care!

OP
OP
Yorkshire lass

Yorkshire lass

Country
Hi Debru4 thanks for your advice .
I am icing and doing some gentle hamstring stretches and sleeping with pillow to take pressure off the painful bit ! Pain is less acute .
Just going for a 30-45 walk most days and remembering heel toe advice .

At 10 weeks post op I feel fine when moving but when I stop my thigh and knee are very stiff .
This is a problem when waking or night time bathroom trip. Often get those horrible muscle spasms as I uncurl legs from side sleeping .

Are there any simple stretches to wake legs gently before getting out of bed ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @Yorkshire lass
This recovery business does have its ups and downs, doesn't it.:unsure:

I found (and still do this) a good old full body stretch before rising unkinks me in the mornings.
I get rid of my pillow, scoot down a bit so I can raise my arms over my head and stretch fingers toward the headboard of my bed.
Pulling one leg up at a time, ankle pumps...just waking things up and getting circulation going.
Sitting on the edge of the bed and lifting up legs...and when rising, doing a few marches to engage those leg muscles before setting off.
That being said, my legs were always stiff and uncooperative for the first four or five steps...stutter steps, I called it.
Quite common for new hippys and happened to me well up through the five month mark...maybe longer .
My memory is getting dimmer about timelines, but it did finally get back to normal.
It never hurts until we stop, so that makes it hard to readjust activity often.
One thing I would suggest that worked for me is instead of doing longer walks, do two or three shorter walks. Two twenty minute walks with some time for your body to recover is better than one longer walk that may push those muscles just a bit too much.
You will get there.:thumb:

Hope your Saturday is sweet.:flwrysmile:

OP
OP
Yorkshire lass

Yorkshire lass

Country
Hi Mojo333

Will try your suggestions on bed routine stretches.

We are limited to one outing per day for exercise due to covid 19 lockdown . But can do a shorter walk outdoors and a potter around the garden .

Good to know my stiffness is another normal symptom and with time should improve .

Stay well and thanks

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:hi: Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Hoping you’re enjoying steady progress. Stop by with an update when you have time. We love hearing from you.
Enjoy the end of the week and stay safe and well. :)
@Yorkshire lass

OP
OP
Yorkshire lass

Yorkshire lass

Country
Hi @Layla
My three month anniversary is here and I am doing well thank you .
My sciatica and sore buttock / Piriformis pains have reduced . Find trying to stretch glutes and hamstring before exercise is helpful. Ice on scar but need warmth on glutes and hammies seems to help reduce tightness .
These pains were severely increased post op and I remember waking from theatre and feeling like a horse had kicked me in the backside . As you say lots of nerves are pulled about and the sciatic is in prime position for irritation.
Swelling is much reduced and so is the knee pain . Icing and elevation all helpful as is not overdoing it .
Benefits of covid 19 lockdown is my return to work have been delayed giving me longer to recover and no rush .
Cycled with hubby yesterday and no pay back today . Had a zoom coffee morning with staff at our Optometry practice and felt so emotional to see them all and answer all the questions about my surgery . Suddenly hit me What a weird 2020 it’s been so far. Jan hip op , Feb recovering , March and April lockdown and continued recovering .
Have to remind myself I’m lucky to be post op, pain free and not waiting . Lucky to be able to walk and cycle. All down to Professor Board @Wrightington Hospital and his team .
I was post op before I found this forum. It has been great to find other hippies out there to share experiences .
Stay safe all and keep posting ❤❤

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Wonderful update...thanks for sharing. It seems you’re doing well. It is a benefit to have this extra healing time, too bad it’s under the circumstances of a global pandemic though.
Have to remind myself I’m lucky to be post op, pain free and not waiting . Lucky to be able to walk and cycle.
Love your positive outlook :yes: It will take you far.
Be safe, stay well and in touch! :wave:

Carita

Country
Hi Yorkshire Lass,
I'm glad to read you are doing well. Your post caught my eye as I too have lumbar scoliosis along with stenosis and sciatica. I am scheduled for surgery in six days and hope this pain settles after the hip is replaced. I've been unable to find a comfortable position the past few days.

My surgeon is aware of my spine issues which may need attention at some point but for now we are seeking care for the biggest culprit. My gosh!

It is reassuring to read you are feeling better. Wishing you well,
Carita

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Happy Four Month Anniversary!
I hope all continues to improve for you. Stop by and leave updates as time allows.
We enjoy following your healing journey.
A great weekend to you! :wave:
@Yorkshire lass

OP
OP
Yorkshire lass

Yorkshire lass

Country
Hi Layla
Hard to believe it’s four months since my surgery!
The hip Replacement is doing well but I have managed to overdo it enough to cause a bit of tendonitis/bursitis within the last couple of weeks. Yep I’m a member of the ODI club again!! However with active icing, max dose of NSAIDs I think it’s much improved. Had this excellent forum to get me back on track. Still doing a small walk or two each day and feeling less stiff. I think because of my back problems and lumbar spinal fusion I’m never going to be Mrs Elastic and is why I was rubbish those bendy type gym classes
Sleep is good and piriformis pains are slowly improving. Also less numbness in my foot when I sit so the sciatica has improved too
Looking forward now to returning to work when the Covid 19 situation allows. Hopefully we can soon get back in the swimming pool too and that might help my recovery ?
Excellent weather in the UK has had made the current situation much more tolerable and having to live in the present for a while makes me realise what I should have appreciated more from the past. Stay safe all and thanks for your support x

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
having to live in the present for a while makes me realise what I should have appreciated more from the past.
Insightful. I think we’re all feeling this way to varying degrees. I compare it to adjusting to the shrinking existence most of us experienced as our affected hip deteriorated. Sometimes it takes losing what you have to finally appreciate it. It will be a joy to get back to what we consider normal.

I’m so sorry to read you’ve landed in the ODIC. Hopefully your time there is short as it sounds like things are already improving. Please take it easy when venturing back into the pool. It’s easy to overdo in the water and as you’ve most likely read a time or two here, “it never hurts until we stop”, so go s-l-o-w.

Thanks for the update, please stay in touch, we enjoy hearing from you. :)

DBadk

Country
I also had scoliosis surgery and a thr...I had my back done in 2004 and just had my hip replaced 5/8/20...avascular necrosis was the cause of my thr...I understand what could cause AVN but I didnt seem to fit any of the criteria...so far the other hip is fine....it does make me curious how many of us scoliosis and total hips are out there...maybe a correlation?

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
VSing
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom