Ask the Expert Webinar
Lounge Doctor

THR LTHR Wednesday August 19th

golfer67

Country
United States United States
Well this has happened very fast. On August 7 I had a shot in my left hip to see if my pain was coming from my hip and it was. On Monday the 10th I called and informed the Doctors office that the pain went away. They called me back and told me that they could get to me on August the 19th due to a cancelation. Remember that it took me about two and a half months to just get in to this Doctor for an appointment so who knows how long I would have to wait for a surgery if I passed up this surgery date so I took it. Today I went for my pre-opt I don’t know yet if my EKG is okay or if my covid-19 test is good but all my bloodwork was good so barring something unexpected with my EKG or covid-19 test I will have a new hip this coming Wednesday. Even though Wednesday is very soon, it can’t get here soon enough.

Schaargi

Country
Wow, that's great! Do you have your house ready? What do you need from all of us?

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
That was quick, @golfer67. Best wishes for Wednesday.

Here's some reading, to help you prepare:

Longevity of implants and revisions: How long will my new joint last?

If you are at the stage where you are planning to have surgery but are looking for information so you can be better prepared for what is to come, take a look at these links:
Recovery Aids: A comprehensive list for hospital and home
Recliner Chairs: Things you need to know if buying one for your recovery
Pre-Op Interviews: What's involved?

And if you want to picture what your life might be like with a replaced hip, take a look at the posts and threads from other BoneSmarties provided in this link:
Stories of amazing hip recoveries

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:wave: @golfer67
Hope all clears and it is a Go.
I had a very long time of hurting before I actually got my diagnosis and then once I saw my OS it was scheduled for 3 weeks later.
Hardly time to digest...AND they said BOTH my hips were trashed.:flabber:
Even though Wednesday is very soon, it can’t get here soon enough.
My thoughts exactly!!!
Getting rid of that horrid hip pain and getting recovered and back to my life has been amazing.
:yahoo:

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Wow, that is quick. You are lucky in many ways not to have to wait too long. My waits were 5-6m for my hips so very happy for you. Now to get your recovery area organized and you are all set to get to a pain free life.

Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery with great pain control.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Great news for you @golfer67 ! No more waiting and suffering with that painful hip. I hope you take time to read the links above to help you get your home ready for a comfortable recovery.

I'm really excited for you.. :happydance:

OP
OP
G

golfer67

Country
Thanks for the well wishes I do appreciate them. I have been through eight major surgeries so it seems like my home is always setup in recovery mode. However it has been a whirlwind around here the last few days getting ready for the surgery. My daughter had our second grandchild on Monday so my wife has been helping her and she lives four hours away. My wife is coming home today so things will get better. Add to that the fact that I am in isolation so that I don’t get exposed to covid-19 between Friday when they tested me and Wednesday when the operation takes place it is a bit difficult but I will make it through. Thanks again.

OP
OP
G

golfer67

Country
The Doctor told me that I will be in the hospital for two nights and that is okay with me but I wonder if that is the normal amount of time to keep a person after hip replacement? I have read about people having it done and going home the same day and also going home after only one night in the hospital. How long did you guys who have had hip replacement stay in the hospital?

Thanks

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
That's interesting about staying 2 days. I stayed overnight both times and was glad to be there. Then glad to be home! I've heard of others staying longer, usually due to their blood pressure dropping low. In fact that was what helped me stay a night, originally, the surgeon was trying to make me an out-patient case.

I wonder, if you have any pre existing issues that would require the planning for an extra day?

One thing is for certain, we all get a new hip but there are numerous ways to do it.. I think much of it is the surgeons choice.

Congrats on the brand new baby! How exciting!

Going4fun

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
I stayed over one night. You can ask this question to your surgeon or his staff. Your surgeon is aware that most people spend one night in the hospital these days (absent some unusual reactions coming up) .... So you can ask them about the two-day hospitalization and they won't be defensive about this.

It's often quite good, quite reassuring to actually hear the surgeon's thinking on any aspect of the surgery. The chief nurse or PA would also know the reasoning.

Jaycey

FORUM ADMINISTRATOR
Administrator
Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
How long did you guys who have had hip replacement stay in the hospital?
Two nights - but I really would have preferred one night. This is dependent on the surgeon and their protocols.

OP
OP
G

golfer67

Country
I think maybe my age (67) or possibly my high blood pressure but it is controlled or it may be just that Medicare will pay for two nights.

Celle

Country
New Zealand New Zealand
How long you stay in hospital post-op depends a lot on your surgeon's protocol.
It's not so very long ago that it was normal to stay for 5 nights.

zauberflöte

alpha
Country
I stayed one night each at 61 and 65, with high BP, a heart condition, and asthma. Even then (7 and 3 years ago), they wanted patients to have the least risk for a hospital-acquired infection. Given the pandemic, right now my preference would be for one night only. Ask the OS office-- it's probably in your chart somewhere why it's two nights.
My grandmother had to stay in bed for two weeks after each of her children, all of which were normal uncomplicated births (in the 1910's and 20's)! My how things have changed.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi @golfer67
You’ll soon be on the bright side, with surgery in the rear view.
Wishing you an uneventful, surgery and recovery. Will look forward to following your healing journey once you’re back home and on the mend.
All the best to you!

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Sending wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth pain controlled recovery. Soon you will be on the shiny side (recovery). Hope to see you on the recovery side when you are ready to post.

OP
OP
G

golfer67

Country
Well it is official I will be having my surgery tomorrow 8/19/2020 at around 3 PM. I want to thank all who have sent me advice and well wishes and I will post on the recovery forum as soon as I can but it may not be until Friday when I get back home as I don’t do too well with my smart phone. If I feel well enough I may be able to post from the hospital.

leejaa

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
@golfer67 I actually set up my recovery thread the night before my surgery so it would be easier than under pain med influence. It made posting in recovery much easier and especially trying to use phone as I really like a keyboard though getting better with the smartphone.

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Yes @golfer67
Since it’s the day before surgery, please feel free to start that thread as leejaa suggested and we can leave the Recovery Guidelines which you may prefer to scan through while you’re clear headed.

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
All the best for your surgery... I stayed two nights...but they wanted me to leave after one.
I was sure I wouldn't be able to manage and was wary of my husband's "nursing" capabilities.
Maybe because I had both hips done and didn't feel as though I'd have a leg to stand on.
Home was definitely easier place to get comfortable.

Bye bye hip pain!:egypdance:

New

Active Antibacterial

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Lamby121
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom