THR LTHR next Tuesday

chialiyu

Country
United States United States
My surgery is schedule to start on 9:30 AM and expects to take 2 hours. It is my 2nd one so I am more prepared. Still slightly nervous (hope I can use all my muscles right after surgery, not like the first one) but I think I have more reasonable expectation about recovery this time around.
Took my covid test today. If I don't get notified on Monday, I am good to go!
For whatever reason, I gained about 10 pounds since my RTHR. Really looking forward to have my left side fixed, get active and get fit again before the summer comes.

Wish me luck.

@chialiyu
Wishing you good luck on the 12th!!

Here are the Hip Recovery Guidelines to help you prepare for your upcoming surgery, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Thank you! I got a lot of useful tips, advices, supports... from this forum last time around. Really appreciate @Pumpkln and other advisors for the great work here!

All the best on Tuesday! Just remember, each and every THR is different - even on the same person.
hope I can use all my muscles right after surgery, not like the first one
This is sometimes due to the anaesthetic. Or just the brain and muscles have a slight disconnect for awhile. As you probably found with your RTHR - all temporary.
I gained about 10 pounds since my RTHR
I think we have all gain weight with this darn pandemic. I'll bet once you are active and walking regularly again that weight will just fall off!

Wishing you well on Tuesday. It’s good you’ve used this forum in the past so you know how helpful it is. Between the cold winter weather and Covid, you’re pretty much stuck in anyhow so a perfect time for a hip replacement. Keep us posted on your progress!

:hi: @chialiyu
Wanted to send healing vibes in advance as you join the double hippy club tomorrow.
Look forward to seeing you on The Healing Side.:ok:

All the best tomorrow @chialiyu ! See you on the other side soon!

Wishing you a successful surgery and a smooth pain controlled recovery. I was also nervous before each subsequent surgery but at the same time calmer because I knew more each time what to expect at home and in the hospital. I hope your night is peaceful.

Sending warm thoughts, love and prayers to you. So glad you too have found this wonderful supportive group of people. So many will be here to help you through the coming days. Thank you for your encouragement to me. :console2:

I hope you’re resting comfortably and your pain is well managed.
I look forward to following your journey on the healing side.
See you there soon! :)
@chialiyu

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• mendogal
    Staff member since November 10, 2023

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
HikerWalker