• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

THR LTHR: Near 4yr anniversary/scar suddenly swollen

Birdwing

Country
United States United States
Everyone was great support during my recovery for both my hip replacements and I’m hoping you all can give me some insight or advice again.

I am 66 female. My LTHR was in 1/2015 anterior minimally invasive. Replacement was necessary because of severe arthritis due to previously undiagnosed DHD/Sublaxation. I was so fortunate that my recovery was text book for both left and left replacements and over these almost four years, I’ve enjoyed cycling, swimming, mountain hiking etc. I’ve been able to enjoy these in ways I’ve never been able to even in my 40’s.

About 12 days ago I developed what seemed like a “muscle knot” centered along 3/4 of the length of my left scar. It’s not an injury— I just discovered it one morning.

It started small and got larger over a 2 days. Now the scar and thigh area are perceptively swollen (usually the scar area is concave) about 4” in diameter with a definite lump filling the whole area.

It’s also red— sort of the color of a cheek slap. No real pain but just feels like a bad bruise would feel when I press on it.

Fortunately my hip feels totally fine and I can do everything I usually do activity-wise. I’m not running a fever.

My primary care doctor said “oh I think you pulled something” and recommended periodic cold packs and ibruprophen. It’s not getting worse, but it’s certainly not getting better. As I said, it’s been well over a week.

If this was anywhere else, I wouldn’t be concerned and would just let nature take its course. But because it’s right underneath the scar, I’m wondering if I should consult my hip surgeon or am I just being a little bit alarmist? Has anyone has spontaneous scar or muscle issues so long after surgery? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated and many thanks!
Birdwing

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hello, Welcome back! I'm sorry it's due to a concern.
I think your best bet is to call the office of your OS and let them decide whether they want to see you through conversation / questions. Possibly you could ask if they'd look at a photo you send from your phone? Hopefully it's nothing serious but since you've had such a great recovery and been enjoying life, you want to be safe, rather than sorry.
Hoping the best for you!
@Birdwing

OP
OP
B

Birdwing

Country
Thank you... This is what I’ve been figuring but I was sort of hoping that it was something that someone would say “oh yes... it happens.. keep tabs on it and it should go away”
I guess I’ve been trying to avoid a long trip to my surgeon and getting an appointment can be trying.

Eman85

post-grad
Country
At 4 years in it would be very irresponsible for anyone to advise you to ignore it and it will go away.

Debru4

graduate
Country
Even if it ends up being nothing, I imagine it would be very hard for you to ignore it and enjoy life until you know for sure. I tend to always err on the side of caution/checking in when I have healthy concerns that I find taking up a lot of my head space. And I think most doctors understand and appreciate it. :flwrysmile:

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Dekota
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom