THR LTHR done on 19th Oct

ShellyHipster

Country
Australia Australia
Hi guys - sorry it’s long.
I’m on Day 8 post LTHR due to decades old traumatic osteoarthritis. The surgeon said it would be a bit more painful / difficult in recovery due to the implant being in the correct place as opposed to my old wonky “deformed” position from a previously shattered pelvis.
I had a Posterior THR, minimally invasive method so a relatively small incision (maybe 9cm, hard to tell under the dressing). Was “awake” under sedation with Epidural and Spinal block. (I barely recall anything).
I’ve had a few issues. Low Blood pressure (really low!) in the hospital which meant I stayed in bed until day 2. Then I was very light headed and my leg took a while to fire back up, I could barely move it at all until day 3. I also needed an iron transfusion in hospital as my levels dropped ridiculously low.
Movement and pain have been okay since, movement is easier every day.
I’m having more pain now I’m home, even though I’m taking it easy. It’s a sciatic sort of pain, shooting through my bum and sometimes felt in my knee too. Ice offers some relief. I didn’t have this pain in hospital, I think the bed was better than mine. Sitting in the recliner does not help.
Pain meds are possibly giving me bad migraines. I had one on Sunday night and one today, like a really bad, cracking hangover that started at 5:30am. I’m on Targin twice a day which is Oxycodone. Only other pain killer is Paracetamol.
Would it be foolish to attempt not to take the Targin at this early stage? I feel it’s very effective for pain relief but I’m wondering about the migraines.
I’ve also developed symptoms of a UTI so have to take a course of antibiotics starting today. Anyone else develop a UTI? I had a catheter day 0-2 because I wasn’t mobile.
Thanks for listening

:hi: @ShellyHipster
Good to see you on the recovery side...but so sorry you had such a rough start.
Glad you have started some antibiotics for your UTI, likely as you say, due to having to be catherized.:sigh:
There have been members that have dealt with urinary tract infections after their joint replacements and hopefully the antibiotics will get this knocked out quickly.

Drink lots of cranberry juice and water as being underhydrated can also cause bad headaches and you want all these meds flushing through your system.
I found that one good strong cup of coffee/tea would help ease my early morning headache but since caffeine will act as a diuretic, I had to keep lots of water in me the rest of the day.
The downside to that was the trips to go pee...usually when I just found some semblance of getting comfortable.
:umm:
Ice is definitely the way to help with pain and inflammation so please check it out along with the recovery articles below.
First weeks can certainly be tough while our bodies fight to bounce back after this surgical trauma.
All temporary, so keep the faith.
Healing hugs for things to ease off soon.:console2:

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary​
2. Control discomfort
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT​
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access to these pages on the website

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in a majority of BoneSmart's forums, we ask that each member have only one recovery thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review history before providing advice.

I had a headache for the first week after my surgery, and then started Tylenol and 1/2 tramadol for pain. I also realized I was not eating enough. Sunday my hubby gave me something to eat every 3 hrs., and I felt much better. I didn't realize I was really only eating 1/2 bowl of soup a day. So between lessening pain meds, eating, caught up on sleep, and sitting up more, I have felt better over the past few days. I hope you feel better soon....nothing worse than a migraine!! I have cluster headaches and totally understand the pain!

Hello and welcome. Glad that you joined us. There is so much information and support here. The forum helped me get through all my joint replacements. I hope your headaches ease up soon. Have a peaceful day.

Thanks for the replies. I had another migraine early this morning on waking. I think I’m going to skip the Targin tonight and see how I go without it.

Everyone responds to narcotics differently - my first hip was 20 years ago, and I followed the recommendations for pain meds following arrival at home - and I felt terrible, fuzzy headed, depressed ... thought I would prefer to feel the pain than feel bad. Stopped the narcotics and immediately felt better - very little pain.

Last year, I was able to keep the pain down with Tylenol - 4G a day ... easy to use and easy to taper off of. A bit of pain, but faded pretty quickly - and I was always aware and felt good. - not weird.

I did okay last night without the Targin. I needed a little extra ice and I had some big night sweats which was weird. I think I am very soft with pain medication!
The pain is manageable today but there is definitely a difference. My thigh feels “tighter” and I think I am limping more. There is a burning pain in the muscle area just below the incision that hurts when I move. So I’m icing it more again today. I hope not taking the pain medication won’t hamper my recovery.

I hope not taking the pain medication won’t hamper my recovery.
It won't hamper your recovery. But as you have already experienced no taking pain medication will mean you feel more stiffness. Ice is your friend!

Thank you. Unfortunately I’m still experiencing headaches in the mornings. I’m trying to drink extra water. Pain was manageable last night but I definitely needed the Paracetamol 4 hourly overnight.

I loved my tylenol (paracetamol in civilized countries ) ... knocked the edge off the pain, was easy to regulate, non habit forming - and allowed me to feel normal and be clearheaded.

ShellyHipster,
I'd check in with my Dr. About the headaches. This early you may need pain medicine, so see if he can change it. I had a wicked UTI and just finished a sound of antibiotics..feel SO much better. You are doing good for 8 days I think, and that pain you described I had also..it will slowly get better. Please see about another pain med and check on that headache!

I seem to have headaches when the pain relief has worn off. I was blaming the Targin, and my head is definitely better without it, but they are still there. I have a Dr app on Monday so will be discussing pain relief (and having my dressing removed as it will be day 14, yay! I haven’t seen the wound properly yet).

I was wondering when my leg will start to feel a bit more soft and normal .... it’s Day 12 today and my thigh still feels super tight and so stiff to flex. I was saying to my husband that at this stage my first goal is to walk as well as I did before the operation (and that was with a bad limp)!

I seem to have headaches when the pain relief has worn off.
I asked because some people get a headache when they take paracetamol. Do discuss this with your surgeon.

Still very early days for you. The tightness and stiffness are swelling - both internal and external. Ice as much as you can during the day. As long as you have something between your skin and the icepack you can ice as long as you want. 45-60 minutes several times per day will help ease this swelling.

Shelly,

I elevated and iced with silicon gel packs for an hour at a time ... then would relax for s few minutes, then walk as much as was comfortable, then right back to elevate and ice ... 6-8 times a day.

Coming up for 5 weeks post op.
At 4 weeks I suddenly developed excruciating pain in my hip area and at one point I couldn’t even walk with crutches, let alone the stick.
I saw the surgeon and he thinks I have Tendonitis. I was prescribed Meloxicam (Mobic) anti inflammatory meds and rest. The xrays look good and he thinks it will settle.
I’ve been taking it as easy as possible which is hard with kids and stairs at home. The meds seem to be effective but I still have to be super careful not to move my leg the wrong way - ie pivoting or turning, lifting my leg to dress, getting in or out of a car, sitting down and standing up, climbing stairs... if I do a small wrong move I pay for it.
Has anyone had tendonitis that resolved and how long did it take?
At this point nothing positive has come from the THR. I’m in more pain and more restricted than ever. I’m trying to be optimistic... but it’s hard. I had the operation with the hope to gain some ROM and do basic things again and I’ve gone completely backwards.

What is your activity level now? Are you exercising in addition to running after kids and doing stairs. Tendonitis is usually caused by over activity post THR. It will ease, but only if you rest.

I realise you are trying very hard to get back to normal. But you are only 5 weeks into a process that can take 1 year or longer. Give yourself time to heal. You can not judge the results of your THR based on where you are today. Patience prescribed in large doses!

What is your activity level now? Are you exercising in addition to running after kids and doing stairs. Tendonitis is usually caused by over activity post THR. It will ease, but only if you rest.

I realise you are trying very hard to get back to normal. But you are only 5 weeks into a process that can take 1 year or longer. Give yourself time to heal. You can not judge the results of your THR based on where you are today. Patience prescribed in large doses!

My activity level before the flare up was pretty low. Household chores excluding vacuuming or sweeping. Walking around the house. A couple of trips out to the park or shops with a small amount of walking. I really thought I was already taking it easy. I didn’t use the stick much anymore, I thought it was getting better, until it got worse.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

• benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • Jamie
    Staff member since Feb, 2009
  • Jockette
    Staff member since March 18, 2018

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member