THR LTHR Aug 16th & Nov 18th

58hippain

Country
United States United States
Surgery tomorrow morning on left hip. Pain has gotten unbearable over past few months. Former marathon runner now walking to bathroom is painful.

Good luck! Best wishes for a successful op!

@58hippain:welome:

All the best tomorrow. Looking forward to seeing you in the Hip Recovery forum.

Here are the Hip Recovery Guidelines, the articles are short and will not take long to read.

Hip Recovery: The Guidelines
1. Don’t worry: Your body will heal all by itself. Relax, let it, don't try and hurry it, don’t worry about any symptoms now, they are almost certainly temporary
2. Control discomfort:
rest
ice
take your pain meds by prescription schedule (not when pain starts!)​

3. Do what you want to do BUT
a. If it hurts, don't do it and don't allow anyone - especially a physical therapist - to do it to you​
b. If your leg swells more or gets stiffer in the 24 hours after doing it, don't do it again.​

4. PT or exercise can be useful BUT take note of these

5. At week 4 and after you should follow this

6. Access these pages on the website

Pain management and the pain chart
Healing: how long does it take?
Chart representation of THR recovery

Dislocation risk and 90 degree rule
Energy drain for THRs
Pain and swelling control: elevation is the key
Post op blues is a reality - be prepared for it
Myth busting: on getting addicted to pain meds
Sleep deprivation is pretty much inevitable - but what causes it?

BIG TIP: Hips actually don't need any exercise to get better. They do a pretty good job of it all on their own if given half a chance. Trouble is, people don't give them a chance and end up with all sorts of aches and pains and sore spots. All they need is the best therapy which is walking and even then not to excess.

We try to keep the forum a positive and safe place for our members to talk about their questions or concerns and to report successes with their joint replacement surgery.

While members may create as many threads as they like in the majority of BoneSmart’s forums, we ask that each member have only One Recovery Thread. This policy makes it easier to go back and review the member’s history before providing advice, so please post any updates or questions you have right here in this thread.

Best Wishes tomorrow!
Will be watching for you on the healing side. Hope to see you there once you’re resting comfortably at home.:wave:
@58hippain

Hi, I just looked to see if you have a recovery thread. Hope you're doing well!

three days post surgey. Still using walker to get around feeling pretty good very little to no pain have had home therapy twice walked outside. Released from hospital about 30 hours after surgery. Hospital staff were all incredible.

Sounds like you are doing well @58hippain ! I moved your thread to the recovery forum since you are now post op. I look forward to following your journey.

:welome:Welcome to recovery! Congrats on your new hip. I hope your pain is well
managed and I wish you a good weekend as you begin healing. Stay in touch, we like updates and we’re here for encouragement and support. Happy Friday!
@58hippain

My guess is that if you are/were a runner, you will have a fast recovery. I found that to be the case in my own recovery, but obviously we are all different.

30 hours? Wow. Was this an anterior? I swear mine was a drive though! In surgery at 8am and home at 1pm. Crazy!

Best of luck to you.

Wow. An unimaginable discharge from hospital. My BP plummeted over and over so fainting and being sick. Was kept in for 3 days.
I'm 3 weeks out now. No painkillers, just temp blood thinners.
Hope you keep improving at your rapid rate.

trying to cut down some on pain meds today went from two pills at a time to one. Can feel the difference some a little more sore but I did two fifteen minute walks on treadmill at very slow speed. Still a lot of fluid and swelling in left thigh. Last night was first decent night sleep in some time.

Hello there @58hippain :wave:
Wonderful news you’re sleeping well so early on. I hope you have another good sleep tonight. Continue icing and elevating. It should help with both pain and swelling which is pretty normal at only four days post op.

You really don‘t have to walk for 15 minutes straight, twice a day this early on, even at a slow speed. All you really need to do is get up and take a five minute walk every hour or two and that can usually be accomplished through using the bathroom, or walking to the kitchen to get a snack.

I‘ll leave the Activity Progression for THR from the Recovery Guidelines in case you haven’t read through all of the articles yet. You can use it as a rough gauge for activity. Some excel, as you are, and some lag behind. Both are okay as long as you’re not notIcing any discomfort or pain following activity.
Have a great weekend as you continue your healing journey!
https://bonesmart.org/forum/threads/activity-progression-for-thrs.13187/

I agree. Give yourself a break from treadmill walking. Little and often really seems to help rather than single hard sessions.
I found my step count really rocketed just doing some basic jobs around the house. It's amazing how much walking about I seemed to do just tidying up, doing a washing and hanging it up, emptying the dishwasher and just going for a walk round the garden with pauses to chat to neighbours. It's a good distraction from any discomfort apart from anything else and the sense of achievement is very satisfying. Real exercise beats artificial exercise every time in my book.

There are a lot of ups and downs with the early days/weeks of recovery. I found that if I walked or was more active that I needed to stay on my icing regimen. :ice: Ice and elevate is key in the beginning months.

I agree that your normal gait when walking on your own is much better than treadmill walking.

You are doing well,, keep your head up and will enjoy watching your improvement.

Starting to understand the ups and down already seems like a good day does not mean the next one will be a good day as well.

Yes, you’re right. It is good you realize this, but also know that you’re in the very early
days of a recovery that can last a full year for some, but it will continue to get better and better! :egypdance: Take time to reflect each weekend on the progress you’ve made from the previous weekend and you’ll notice you’re feeling stronger and steadier on your feet.
Wishing you comfort and a peaceful evening.
@58hippain

One week in today. Feels little better each day. Still on pain meds but only 50 percent of those prescribed when discharged. Walked around block today with at home PT with walker, went well. Sleep is still a bit choppy but so far could not be happier with my THR. See doctor on Friday to get incision checked. Lots of ice.

I had the mindset with my first THR that part of a successful recovery was based on how fast I got off of the pain pills and how many steps and how much walking and exercise I did. My first was the learning experience for my second and I figured out that the pain pills were there to make things better and there's plenty of time later after healing to measure walking distances, times and steps. Funny second worked out just like the first but with a lot less struggle.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
mtcwp
Recent bookmarks
Back
Top Bottom